phil bradley - ... flickr slideshare pinterest linkedin instagram vine snapchat â€¢ median age...
Post on 29-Jul-2020
Embed Size (px)
Social media and libraries: a perfect fit
Phil Bradley http://www.philb.com
What IS social media?
• What does the phrase mean to you?
• What words come into your mind when we use the phrase?
• What resources do you think of?
Statistics • Global active internet use totals
3.175 billion, 50% of the worlds population
• Social media has 2.206 billion active users – 30%
• 3.734 unique mobile users, 51% of worldwide penetration
• Social media users have risen by 176,000,000 in the last year
Just to push the point home
• In 2010, Eric Schmitt, former CEO of Google said “Every 2 days we create as much information as we did from the dawn of civilization up until 2003″.
Benefits and concerns
• What are the benefits?
• What are the concerns?
• What issues need to be addressed?
What are some of the tools?
• An overview of some of the tools that are available
• Examples of what other organisations are doing
What other information services are doing
Orkney Library and Archive
YouTube live streaming
Twitter Library List Members
• Median age of 18, majority of users 13‐25 • 200 million average monthly users, fastest growing messaging app in 2014
• 15% of all teenagers worldwide use Snapchat, and in the UK it’s 39%
• 70% of college students post to Snapchat at least once a day
• Major brands are already using it
University of Michigan
URLs • Netvibes www.netvibes.com • Blogs – search Google for subject and add ‘blog’ as a search
term • Tumblr https://www.tumblr.com • Tales of one city https://talesofonecity.wordpress.com/ • G+ https://plus.google.com • Facebook www.facebook.com • YouTube www.youtube.com • Google Hangouts https://hangouts.google.com • Periscope https://medium.com/@periscope • Twitter www.twitter.com
https://twitter.com/Philbradley/lists • Pinterest https://www.pinterest.com/ • Flickr www.flickr.com
• Slideshare www.slideshare.net/ • LinkedIn www.linkedin.com • Instagram https://instagram.com/ • Vine https://vine.co/ • Snapchat www.snapchat.com • Paper.li www.paper.li • Scoop.it www.scoop.it • Learni.st www.learni.st
So why are they doing it?
• Promote and market their services • Go to where the conversations are • To encourage collaboration between the library and its members
• To reach out to potential members • Increase the use of library collections • Build a sense of community with users and other institutions
Some of the advantages
• Cheap • Doesn’t need much training • It’s a fast and effective way to communicate • Better engagement and collaboration with members
• Increase use of the library and its contents • Involves the staff • Better outreach
Some of the challenges
• It can take time • Getting ‘the voice’ right • Need to work hard to maintain engagement • External factors such as connectivity may cause issues
• You have to trust your staff • You will get some things wrong
Keep in touch!
• http://www.philb.com • email@example.com • http://www.philbradley.typepad.com • https://www.facebook.com/philipbradley