next generation science careers
out of 23
Post on 28-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONPresented @ Maryland Science Bowl, Montgomery Community College January 2010
- 1. ! from the Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge ! in its broadest sense, any systematic knowledge- base or prescriptive practice that is capable of resulting in a prediction or predictable type of outcome ! investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge. ! 7 branches : Astronomy , Biology , Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics , Physics , Psychology
- 2. ! Inquiry drives Science Discovery ! Discovery defines new directions in society ! Careers evolve as society adopts new perspectives ! Individual interests drive inquiry ; individual careers are a life journey that follows ! Career Roles may be interdisciplinary, interinstitutional, international
- 3. ! Women in Science ! International Leaders ! Young leaders ! Diversity leads to better science
- 4. ! Current Issues: http://www.sciencedaily.com/ ! Involve people from various points of view on interdisciplinary problem solving ! Often from varied institutions with different agendas, values, or cultures, but must work together to advance understandings, and apply in society. ! Example: Global Warming/ Climate Change: Environmental Science & Policy
- 5. ! IMPORTANCE OF BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES ! DISCOVERY OF PROBLEMS ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE: MODERN Silent Spring Rachel Carson
- 6. HISTORICAL CONTEXT ENVIRONMENTAL MOVEMENT (60s AND 70s) CLEAN AIR AND WATER ACTS, ENDANGERED SPECIES ACT, NATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY ACT
- 7. HISTORICAL CONTEXT NOW PROBLEMS MORE SUBTLE AND COMPLEX PFIESTERIA WILDFIRE
- 8. VALUE SYSTEMS DIFFER!
- 9. NO SENSE OF FASHION MOST OF TIME DO NOT AGREE TRAINED TO QUESTION AVOID PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT LIKE US PREFER TO REMAIN ANONYMOUS SCIENTISTS In science, we must be interested in things, not in persons Marie Curie
- 10. POLITICIANS SENSE OF FASHION TRY TO AGREE DONT LIKE CONTROVERSIAL QUESTIONS PRETEND TO LIKE EVERYBODY WANT EVERYBODY TO LIKE THEM, i.e., GET RE-ELECTED! In politics stupidity is not a handicap Napoleon I. Bonaparte
- 11. BUSINESS Create new fashions for you to buy Often do not ask for others opinion Want only bullet point answer to questions Like you if you can help them get ahead Expect you to like them And, they could be your boss some day! A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business Henry Ford
- 12. STUDENTS MUCH MORE SENSE OF FASHION READY TO ARGUE DONT LIKE TO BE QUESTIONED WANT TO BE COOL BUT MAY BE UNSURE OF FUTURE DECIPHERING CAREER OPTIONSI am too much of a skeptic to deny the possibility of anything Thomas H. Huxley
- 13. MORE RELIANCE ON EXPERT AUTHORITY WHO ARE THE EXPERTS? One must divide one's time between politics and equations. But our equations are much more important to me. Albert Einstein
- 14. Richard V. Pouyat: Bioclimatologist Science, Ecology, Policy ! The Woods ! Montana ! Big break! ! College ! Soil Lab: Big break2! ! Graduate School ! Central Park/NYC: Big break3! ! Graduate School (Again) ! Science & Society
- 15. My Journey ESA More Podcasts & Career Stories!
- 16. ! What are your Individual Talents? ! What are your most Vital Values? ! What is your area of Inquiry or Interest? What problem do you want to solve? ! Where and how can you Learn More? ! Who are the Current Experts? ! Who are the Current Businesses applying the science? ! How might Policy affect your area of interest? ! Define Your Career Project & find your partners!
- 17. Eran Egozy Computer Science, Engineering & Music See more at NOVA: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/secretlife/
View more >