jblm fish & wildlife program
out of 25
Post on 21-Jan-2018
Embed Size (px)
- 1. 1Trust and Transparency - Collaboration - Collective Responsibility Joint Base Lewis-McChord We are a Joint Force Power Projection Platform.
- 2. 2
- 3. 3 Prairie/Grasslands ~14,000 acres Oak/Pine Savanna ~4,300 acres Wetland ~4,500 acres Joint Base Lewis-McChord
- 4. 44 Fish and Wildlife Program Integrated Training Area Management Program Forestry Program JBLM Training Area Habitat
- 5. 55 JBLM Fish & Wildlife Program email@example.com Mission: The program mission is to protect, maintain, and enhance the various ecosystems on the installation to promote native biodiversity and support the military mission.
- 6. 66 Program Director- David Clouse Federal Biologist- Todd Zuchowski Jim Lynch John Richardson Rod Gilbert Dan Grosboll AGEISS contractors (5) CSU contractors (1-3) Interns and volunteers Who are we?
- 7. 77 Army Regulation 200-1 Fort Lewis 420-5 Fort Lewis 200-1 Integrated Natural Resource Management Plan Endangered Species Management Plans Migratory Bird Act Golden and Bald Eagle Protection Act Clean Water Act Endangered Species Act Washington State Regulations Program Drivers/Compliance
- 8. 8 Surveys and monitoring
- 9. 99 Taylors checkerspot butterfly firstname.lastname@example.org
- 10. 10 Adult Diapause Egg Post-diapause larva Pupa Pre-diapause larvaAugust February May Reprinted from Stinson (2005) Life Cycle of Taylors Checkerspot email@example.com November
- 11. 11 Ground nester Predation Partially migratory population Streaked Horned Lark firstname.lastname@example.org
- 12. 12 Open prairies Deep, rich, fine textured soils with limited gravels Succulent forbs with large fleshy roots and bulbs Mazama pocket gopher email@example.com
- 13. 13 Woodland Habitat Restoration firstname.lastname@example.org The prioritization of woodland restoration units is based on high priority habitat areas as well as maintaining areas which have received intensive restoration activities in recent years. Oregon white oak woodlands Ponderosa pine woodlands Timber sales harvests Western gray squirrel core habitat Neotropical and Migratory bird habitats Opportunities for restoration?
- 14. 14 Western Gray Squirrel Study email@example.com Assess WGS occurrence and distribution of suitable habitat on JBLM through a rigorous, sample based data set of detections using hair snag tubes Assist WDFW with Statewide Western Gray Squirrel (WGS) survey on JBLM.
- 15. 15 Wild Fires vs Prescribed Fire firstname.lastname@example.org
- 16. 1616
- 17. 17 Water Howellia email@example.com
- 18. 18 History of OSF at JBLM john.f.Richardson.firstname.lastname@example.org 1959 Specimen collect near Spanaway Marsh 1995 recognized as distinct species 1997 listed by WDFW as State Endangered 2008 1st release at Dailman Lk 695 juveniles 2011 OSF egg masses found! 2013 No funding = no release 2015 final OSF release Total of 7344 juveniles
- 19. 19 OSF Management email@example.com Population monitoring: Survey all release sites & breeding sites weekly from Feb 1- April 1 Environmental DNA pilot Habitat enhancement: Brush cut and removed vegetation at potential breeding sites Aquatic noxious weed control Emergent vegetation mats (OSF= 1958) (OSF= 3532) (OSF= 1854)
- 20. 20 Salmon and Steelhead firstname.lastname@example.org
- 21. 2121 Violations of the ESA can result in either civil or criminal sanctions. Civil penalties a.Each knowing violation can result in penalties of up to $25,000. b. Other violations (negligence) can result in penalties of up to $500 per violation. c. Government employees are not immune. Section 11 Penalties and Enforcement (16USC 1540)
- 22. 2222 What does it mean for you?
- 23. 2323 PDF Maps
- 24. 2424 Bird surveys- song birds, accipiter, wood duck, cavity nester & migration Blue bird- monitoring & box maintenance Vesper sparrow- territory mapping, nest monitoring & telemetry Butterfly surveys- Puget blues, hoary elfin & general Amphibian surveys- western toad & general Reptile surveys Game camera monitoring Bat box instillation Plant surveys- rare plants, diversity, noxious weeds Plant collection for herbarium Seed collection- prairie, wetland & oak Prairie restoration- efficacy Research project- partnerships & consultations Sustainability in Prisons Project Center for Natural Lands Management- collaborations Timber sales review & surveys Military exercise review- impacts to ESA ESA compliance & violations Bird Aircraft Strike Hazard (BASH) Projects Not Yet Mentioned:
- 25. 25
View more >