how to tell engaging stories for non-profits, charities, and causes
out of 32
Post on 19-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONNonprofits are great at collecting data but often fail to share their information in a compelling way. Stories are the answer. With live links to video examples, this Slideshare covers ten of the most important rules of effective storytelling for causes.
- THE ART OF STORYTELLING Engaging the Public in Your Cause
- Why use stories when you have facts? A group of grade 3 students was given a list of 21 pairs of words and told to memorize them.
- They spent as long as they needed to memorize the pairs of words and then were sent outside to play for one hour. How many pairs did the average child remember?
- + soap and shoe Most of the kids remembered only 1 of the 21 word pairs
- Why use stories when you have facts? A second group of grade 3 students was given the same list of 21 pairs of words and asked to put each pair in a sentence. Then, they played outside for an hour.
- My sister put the soap in daddys shoe. The kids remembered an average of 8 of the 21 pairs
- Why use stories when you have facts? A third group of grade 3 students was given the same list of 21 pairs of words and asked to put each pair in a question. Then, they played outside for an hour.
- ? Why did Sally put the soap in daddys shoe? The kids remembered an average of 16 of the 21 pairs
- Why? Because in asking a question the kids started to create a story to answer it. + 1 out of 21 ... 8 out of 21 ? 16 out of 21
- What should be the goal of every story you tell? To persuade your audience to engage in an action.
- Stories have power. They delight, enchant, touch, teach, recall, inspire, motivate, challenge. They help us understand. They imprint a picture on our minds. Janet Litherland
- 10 STORYTELLING BEST PRACTICES 1. Stories are about people
- 2. Stories are relevant to your audience
- 3. Stories are driven by desire
- 4. Stories stir up emotions
- ` www.MoreThanMedication.ca
- 5. Stories are fixed in time and space
- We Love Our Land
- 6. Stories show, they dont tell
- 7. Characters in stories speak for themselves
- 8. Stories are entertaining
- MADD Canada
- 9. Stories have a moment of truth
- 10. Stories have clear meaning
- MADD Canada
- Slideshare by Donna Barker. Writer, speaker, consultant. www.donnabarker.com
View more >