history of holistic medicine
Post on 15-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONhttp://www.healingtheeye.com The holistic approach in medicine is becoming more popular as we learn how holistic healing works. This slideshow examines the history of holistic medicine and holistic health.
- 1. History of Holistic Medicine Healing the EyeEdward C. Kondrot, MD, MD(H) CCH, DHt Vision therapy and restoration www.healingtheeye.com [email_address]
2. What is Homeopathy? Not Herbal Therapy Not Vitamin Therapy Homeopathy is a systemof medicine based on theprincipal of like cureslike .Homeos meaning similar Pathos meaning suffering 3. What is Homeopathy? Not a new idea:Dates back to Hippocrates,460-370 BC, who said: Through the like,disease is produced, andthrough the application ofthe like it is cured. 4. History of Homeopathy It was not until the end of the 18 thcentury that a brilliant German doctor and chemist, Samuel Hahnemann, started experimentation which led to the system of medicine we now know as Homeopathy. 1755-1843 5. History of Homeopathy Disillusioned by the savage medical practices of the day, Hahnemann had retired to a life of translating medical texts. 1755-1843 6. History of Homeopathy While translating these medical texts, he noticed that the substance Peruvian Bark or Cinchona, was listed as causing symptoms, such as numbness of extremities, anxiety,intermittent fevers, similar to symptoms of Malaria, which it was then used to cure. 7. History of Homeopathy
- Hahnemann based this new system of medicine on certain laws and principles:
- Law of Similars
- Law of Proving
- Law of Potentization
- Law of the Single Remedy
8. The Law of Similars Any substance which produces specific toxic symptoms in a healthy person, when given in it's full strength form, will cure a sick person with those same symptoms in a very diluted form.-Hahnemann 9. The Law of Similars Cold or allergy symptoms such as watery eyes and burning nasal discharge can be treated with the homeopathic remedy, Allium Cepa, made from the common red onion. 10. The Law of Similars The substance Ipecac, known for inducing vomiting in the case of accidental poisonings, can be used homeopathically to alleviate the symptom of incessant nausea or vomiting. For example as in the case of someone with the flu or morning sickness. 11. The Law of Similars Likewise, angry red swellings, however caused, may be treated with homeopathically prepared Apis, which is made from the honeybee. 12. The Law of Proving How Homeopathic remedies are discovered: The knowledge of homeopathic remedies is based on scientific experiments calledprovings. 13. The Law of Proving In a proving, healthy volunteers are given homeopathically prepared doses of a substance until they began to prove the remedy, or experience symptoms -- mental, emotional as well as physical. 14. The Law of Proving This information is carefully recorded and repeated many times. The information from provings make up our HomeopathicMateria Medica , which is a description of symptoms caused by each remedy and therefore the symptoms it can be used to alleviate. 15. The Law of Proving These same symptomsare also recorded in texts known as aRepertory , which is an index of symptoms that lists all remedies known to have that symptom. 16. The Law of Potentization Howhomeopathicremediesare made: In his experiments on himself and others, Hahnemann found that even in small amounts the substances were still capable of producing side effects. Hahnemann found that by diluting further, the side effects disappeared. 17. The Law of Potentization He also established that if the substances were shaken vigorously during the dilution, a practice known as succussion , this released a previously dormant energy, making the remedy more potent than before. 18. The Law of Potentization Each remedy was dilutedto such an extent that no actual material of the original substancewas left. Hahnemann believed that what existed after this dilution and succussionwas the transference of the energy of the original material into a new, neutral material. 19. The Law of Potentization The potency of the remedy is designated by the amount of dilution. The more a remedy is diluted and shaken, the more potentizedit becomes.Dilution Potency 1:100 1C 1:1000 2C 1:1000 3C 1: 100000 4C 1:10(200) 200C 20. Potencies The most common strengths are 3, 6, 30, 200, 1000, 10,000, 50,000, and 100,000.Decimal scale: The ratio is 1:10 and is designated by X after the number. Centesimal scale: The ratio is 1:100 and is designated by C after the number. 21. Potencies Remedies today aremade according these homeopathic pharmacological principles, and in accordance with theUnited States Food and Drug Administration. 22. Potencies The remedies are made from naturalSubstances --plant, animaland mineral.They are considered to be very safe, available over-the-counter and completely non - toxic. 23. Potencies Each homeopathic remedy bears a National Drug Code number, ensuring the consumer that the product has been made in accordance withThe Homeopathic Pharmacopeia of the United States. 24. Placebo Effect? Because homeopathic remedies are in such minute doses, physicians and scientists frequently assert that they cannot work.An increasing number of controlled studies are proving them wrong. 25. Placebo Effect? There are many scientific studies on homeopathic medicine indicating its effectiveness. There are studies published in respected scientific journals such asThe LancetandThe British Medical Journal. 26. Lancet Study The Lancet published the most significant and comprehensive review of homeopathic research, which appeared in its September 20, 1997 issue.This article was a meta-analysis of 89 double-blinded, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials. The authors conclude that the clinical effects of homeopathic medicines are not simply the results of placebo. 27. Lancet Study (contd) The researchers uncovered 186 studies, 119 of which were double-blind and/or randomized placebo-control trials, and 89 of which met pre-defined criteria for inclusion into a pooled meta-analysis.The researchers found that by pooling the 89 trials together that homeopathic medicines had a 2.45 times greater effect than placebo.-- Dana Ullman, M.P.H. 28. Current Research Breakthrough discoveriesinquantumphysicsshow: Water retains memory when substances are diluted and shaken. Instead of molecules separating, some actually combine. (Lo, SY, 1996, 1998) 29. Law of the Single Remedy Individualization: Classical Homeopathy is based on the principal of the single remedy.That is, no matter how many symptoms are experienced, only one remedy is taken, and that remedy is aimed at all those symptoms. 30. Law of the Single Remedy Individualization: In this way, Homeopathy is truly holistic, treating the whole person -- mentally, emotionally as well as physically. 31. The Vital Force The concept of life force energy or vitality is an important one in Homeopathy. Hahnemann named this energy the Vital Forcesimilar to the concept of Chi meaning life force in Eastern Medicine or Prana meaning vital energy in Ayurveda or Yoga . 32. The Vital Force He maintained that this Vital Forceconstantly seeks to maintain balance. Symptoms, no matter how uncomfortable, are always the body attempting to restore itself to health. 33. The Vital Force For example, wecan observe it in action with anillness such as a fever or a cough. The fever is the body's defense mechanism used to burn up the infection and the cough is there to prevent accumulation of mucus in the lungs. 34. Susceptibility The issue of how vulnerable different people are to diseaseand ill health is an interesting one. Some people have amazingly robust constitutions, rarely succumbing to illness, regardless of their lifestyle. 35. Susceptibility Others are susceptible to every illness imaginable, even if they exercise daily eat a balanced diet. 36. Susceptibility Genetic inheritance is an important factor in the strength of constitution. Illnesses and weaknesses that run in families are often passed down through generations. 37. Susceptibility Many people have health patterns, such asa tendency to asthma or eczema or one area thatis always affected during stressful times such as headaches or digestive upset. Homeopathy can help strengthen the weak areas in ones constitution and change one's pattern of susceptibility, thereby not only acting curatively, but as a prevention of disease. 38. Herings Law of Cure
- Healing progresses from within, out. From the deepest level (mental and emotional) to external (skin and extremities).
- Healing progresses in reverse order of the original appearance.
- Healing progresses from above down. From upper parts to lower parts.
39. Conventional MedicineAllopathy: Allo" meaning other, gives substances that cause symptoms different than what they are experiencing.Conventional medicine seeks to eliminate symptoms and manage the illness, taking each symptom as a separate part of the system to be eliminated. 40. Conventional Medicine Allopathy: A patient with recurring cystitis, eczema, and depression would be treated in parts -- antibiotics, cortisone, and antidepressant medication to control the symptoms --doing nothing to address the underlying disorder. 41. Conventional Medicine Inherent problems: If the disease cannot be diagnosed there can be no treatment. All tests indicate you are in perfect health, yet you feel terrible.Many patients have symptoms years before the disease can be diagnosed. May be told to use one drug or another for symptomatic relief until a definitive diagnosis canbe made. 42. Conventional Medicine Inherent problems: For many diagnosable problems, no treatment exists. For example in the case of Viral disease, antibiotics are useless. 43. Conventional Medicine Inherent problems: Treatment for recurrent problems does little to prevent future incidents. Health problems occur due to susceptibil