compass rose. hemispheres, continents, and oceans section 1.6 6 th grade geography
out of 24
Post on 23-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Compass Rose
- Slide 2
- Hemispheres, Continents, and Oceans Section 1.6 6 th Grade Geography
- Slide 3
- Hemispheres Geographers divide Earth into halves. These halves are called hemispheres. Hemi means half in Greek. Earth can be divided into Northern and Southern hemispheres or into Eastern and Western hemispheres.
- Slide 4
- The Equator The Equator (0 Latitude) divides the Earth into Northern and Southern hemispheres.
- Slide 5
- Actual Photos from the Equator So Tom and Prncipe
- Slide 6
- The Prime Meridian The Prime Meridian (0 Longitude) divides the Earth into Eastern and Western hemispheres.
- Slide 7
- Actual Photos from the Prime Meridian Greenwich, England
- Slide 8
- Continents Continents are the largest areas of land on our planet. Geographers identify seven continents.
- Slide 9
- Oceans Ocean water covers more than 70% of Earth. The ocean is really just one big body of water. But, geographers usually divide it into FIVE oceans. The Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, Arctic, Southern oceans.
- Slide 10
- The 7 Continents and 5 Oceans Southern Ocean
- Slide 11
- World Map Activity Take a blank world map. Place it in the class notes section of your binder. Take one or two colored pencils/markers. Wait for instructions on which specific labels to add to your map.
- Slide 12
- World Map Activity 1 st : Label the largest continent. Which one is the largest? Asia! Label Asia on your maps.
- Slide 13
- World Map Activity 2 nd : Label the smallest continent. Which one is it? Australia! Label Australia on your maps.
- Slide 14
- World Map Activity 3 rd : Locate the United States. Within its borders label the two hemispheres in which it is located. Which hemispheres are they? The Northern and Western hemispheres. Label these inside the U.S on your maps.
- Slide 15
- World Map Activity 4 th : Locate Africa. Within its borders, label the hemispheres in which it is located. Which ones are they? ALL OF THEM! Parts of Africa are in the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western hemispheres. Label these inside of Africa on your maps.
- Slide 16
- World Map Activity 5 th : Label the continent directly north of Africa. Which one is it? Europe! Label Europe on your maps.
- Slide 17
- World Map Activity 6 th : Label the ocean that touches the shores of Europe and South America. Which one is it? The Atlantic Ocean! Label the Atlantic Ocean on your maps.
- Slide 18
- World Map Activity 7 th : Label the 3 continents that the equator runs through. Which ones are they? South America Africa Asia Label them on your maps.
- Slide 19
- World Map Activity 8 th : Label the ocean that lies north of Europe. Which one is it? The Arctic Ocean! Label the Arctic Ocean on your maps.
- Slide 20
- World Map Activity 10 th : Label the ocean that lies to the south of Asia. Which one is it? The Indian Ocean! Label the Indian Ocean on your maps.
- Slide 21
- World Map Activity 9 th : Label the ocean that touches the shores of both Asia and South America. Which one is it? The Pacific Ocean! Label the Pacific Ocean on your maps.
- Slide 22
- World Map Activity 11 th : Lastly, label North America and Antarctica on your maps.
- Slide 23
- World Maps You should now have 7 continents and 4 oceans labeled on your maps in addition to the hemispheres written inside the U.S and Africa. Keep this map in the class notes section of your binder! PowerPoint Created by Christine Curcuru
- Slide 24
- Continent Song Tune: Row, Row, Row Your Boat 7 continents on the globe Count them now with me North America, South America Africa makes 3 Europe, Asia, Australia Are 3 more that I know And don't forget Antarctica That's 7....Way to Go!
View more >
Continents, Hemispheres & Oceans Mr. Johnson. 2 Continents North America-located above South America and beside Europe. It is located in the northern
WHY DO OCEANS AND CONTINENTS HAVE DIFFERENT THERMAL PROPERTIES? Continents heat up and cool down more quickly than oceans
World Continents and Oceans. Objectives You will be able to: –Name each of the seven continents, and the five oceans –Locate each of the continents and
CONTINENTS AND OCEANS NOTES. CONTINENTS There are seven continents and 4 Oceans on the earth. A continent is a great landmass. From largest to smallest