approach to inborn errors of metabolism .. dr.padmesh
out of 63
Post on 02-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONApproach to Inborn Errors of Metabolism (Pediatrics)
- 1. APPROACH TO INBORN ERRORS OF METABOLISM DR.PADMESH.V DEPT OF PEDIATRICS,DR.SMCSI MCH, KARAKONAM.
- 2. Dr.Padmesh.V METABOLISM Metabolism Catabolism (Breaking down) Anabolism (Building up) Enzymes play an important role in facilitating the process by serving as catalysts in the conversion of one chemical (metabolite) to another.
- 3. Dr.Padmesh.V Catabolism : Catabolism is the set of metabolic pathways that break down molecules into smaller units and release energy.
- 4. Dr.Padmesh.V Catabolism : Catabolism is the set of metabolic pathways that break down molecules into smaller units and release energy.
- 5. Dr.Padmesh.V Anabolism : Anabolism is the set of metabolic pathways that construct molecules from smaller units. These reactions require energy.
- 6. Dr.Padmesh.V Anabolism : Anabolism is the set of metabolic pathways that construct molecules from smaller units. These reactions require energy.
- 7. Dr.Padmesh.V Anabolism : Anabolism is the set of metabolic pathways that construct molecules from smaller units. These reactions require energy.
- 8. Inborn errors of metabolism (IEM) Dr.Padmesh.V - Inborn errors of metabolism (IEM) are disorders in which there is a block at some point in the normal metabolic pathway - IEMs occur due to mutations in DNA. DNA Enzyme which code for a Receptor Specific protein Transport vehicle Membrane pump Structural element
- 9. Dr.Padmesh.V Example of mechanisms in IEM:Precursor Substrate End-Product A B C
- 10. Dr.Padmesh.V Example of mechanisms in IEM:Precursor Substrate End-Product A B C Abnormal metabolic pathway Toxic Metabolite D
- 11. Dr.Padmesh.V The number of diseases due to inherited point defects in metabolism now exceeds 500. While the diseases individually are rare, they collectively account for a significant proportion of neonatal and childhood morbidity and mortality. Diagnosis is important not only for treatment but also for genetic counselling and antenatal diagnosis in subsequent pregnancies.
- 12. Dr.Padmesh.V CLASSIFICATION OF IEM:1. Amino acid metabolism2. Carbohydrate metabolism3. Lipid metabolism4. Protein metabolism5. Pigment metabolism6. Unknown biochemical defects
- 13. Dr.Padmesh.V CLASSIFICATION OF IEM:1. Amino acid metabolism -Phenylketonuria -Tyrosinosis -Albinism -Alkaptonuria -Cystinosis -Cystinuria -Homocysteinuria -Hartnup disease -Maple syrup disease
- 14. Dr.Padmesh.V CLASSIFICATION OF IEM:2. Carbohydrate synthesis: -Congenital lactose intolerance -Galatosemia -Glycogen storage disease -Diabetes mellitus -Scurvy
- 15. Dr.Padmesh.V CLASSIFICATION OF IEM:3. Lipid metabolism: -Abetalipoproteinemia -Progressive lipodystrophy -Lipid storage disorders * Gaucher * Neimann-Pick * Tay-sachs * Hyperlipoproteinemia
- 16. Dr.Padmesh.V CLASSIFICATION OF IEM:4. Protein Metabolism: -Immunoglobulin deficiencies -Absent clotting factors (Hemophilia, Christmas dis, Hypoprothrombinemia) -Metal binding protein deficiency (Wilson hepatolenticular degeneration) -Alpha-1 anti trypsin deficiency
- 17. Dr.Padmesh.V CLASSIFICATION OF IEM:5. Pigment metabolism: -Porphyrias -Methemoglobinemias -Albinism -Crigler-Najjar dis -Dubin-Johnson dis -Gilbert dis -Rotor synd -Primary hemochromatosis
- 18. Dr.Padmesh.V CLASSIFICATION OF IEM:6. Unknown biochemical defect: -Osteogenesis imperfecta -Marfan synd -Achondroplasia -Ehler danlos synd
- 19. Dr.Padmesh.VAPPROACH TO IEM
- 20. Dr.Padmesh.V1. Suspecting Inborn Errors:
- 21. Dr.Padmesh.V Suspecting Inborn Errors: Inborn errors should be suspected when HISTORY:(1) Symptoms accompany starting/changes in diet,(2) Children with seizures,(3) Developmental delay,(4) Recurrent vomiting,(5) Unusual odour of urine,(6) Parental consanguinity,(7) Problems suggestive of inborn error such as retardation or unexplained deaths in first- and second-degree relatives.
- 22. Dr.Padmesh.V Suspecting Inborn Errors: CLINICALLY: IEM must be also considered in the differential diagnosis of Critically ill newborns, Neurodegeneration, Mental retardation , Coarse facies / dysmorphic features, Parenchymal liver disease, Cardiomyopathy, Organomegaly Unexplained acidosis, Corneal opacity, cataract or dislocation of lens, Hyperammonemia, and Hypoglycemia
- 23. Dr.Padmesh.V Clinical pointers towards specific IEMs:
- 24. Dr.Padmesh.VInborn Errors of Amino Acid MetabolismAssociated with Peculiar Odour:
- 25. Dr.Padmesh.VPatterns of Presentation:1. Encephalopathy with or without metabolic acidosis.2. Acute liver disease: - Jaundice alone - Hepatic failure - Neonatal cholestasis - Hypoglycemia3. Dysmorphic features.4. Cardiac disease.5. Diarrhea6. Hepatomegaly +/- Splenomegaly7. Predominant Neurological symptoms
- 26. Dr.Padmesh.V 1) Encephalopathy with or without metabolic acidosis: Encephalopathy, seizures,and tone abnormalities are predominant presenting features of -organic acidemias, -urea cycle defects,and -congenital lactic acidosis. Intractable seizures are prominent in -pyridoxine dependency, -non-ketotic hyperglycinemia, -molybdenum co-factor defect,and -folinic-acid responsive seizures.
- 27. 2) Acute liver disease: could manifest as- Dr.Padmesh.V Jaundice alone: -Gilbert syndrome, -Criggler-Najjar syndrome Hepatic failure (jaundice, ascites, hypoglycemia, coagulopathy): -Tyrosinemia, -galactosemia, -neonatal hemochromatosis, -glycogen storage disease type IV. Neonatal cholestasis: -alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency, -Niemann-Pick
View more >
Inborn Errors of Metabolism - Inborn Errors of Metabolism Gerald Feldman, MD, PhD, FACMG Program Director,
testing Untargeted Metabolomic Profiling in Inborn Errors â€¢ Screening for inborn errors of metabolism
Inborn Errors of Metabolism (Metabolic Disorders) inborn... · Inborn Errors of Metabolism (Metabolic…
Inborn Errors of Metabolism - ?· Inborn Errors of Metabolism Gerald Feldman, MD, ... • Two fold approach…
Amino Acids Metabolism - Acids Metabolism. ... • Symptoms • Thrombosis • ... Inborn errors of methionine metabolism. Prof Dr Mohammad Ibrahim Prof of Medical Biochemistry
Inborn Errors of Metabolism Test Request ?· Aminolevulinic Aci d Dehydratase Deficiency Porphyria Aminolevulinic…
Inborn Errors of Metabolism in Humans - Springer 978-94-009-7325-1/1.pdfآ Inborn Errors of Metabolism