writing a summary what is a summary? how do you write one? copyright © 2015 the teacher writing...
out of 14
Post on 24-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- WRITING A SUMMARY What is a summary? How do you write one? Copyright 2015 The Teacher Writing Center, a division of SG Consulting, Inc. www.grammargallery.org
- Slide 2
- Warm-Up Look at the picture. What do you see?
- Slide 3
- Discuss Response What is the main idea? What are some details?
- Slide 4
- Main Ideas vs. Details
- Slide 5
- Main idea: Sick woman is making a phone call. Details: Woman is 20-30 years old, has a pink ice pack on her head, and a blue blanket wrapped around her shoulders; she is holding a green cup and using a corded yellow phone.
- Slide 6
- You summarized the picture! When you identify the main idea(s) of a something in this case a picture you are summarizing.
- Slide 7
- What is a summary? In writing, a summary is a short version of a longer text. A summary tells the main ideas of the longer reading, but leaves out most of the details. It only includes information from the text. You do not include your opinions.
- Slide 8
- How long is a summary? A summary is often only a few sentences.
- Slide 9
- Are there other names for a summary? Yes. Sometimes people will use the following words as synonyms for summary: Abstract Executive Summary Prcis
- Slide 10
- Lets practice summarizing a text. What kind of text is it? Hint: Is it fiction or nonfiction? What are the main ideas? Hint: Look at the title, images, and subheadings. What is the purpose of the text? Hint: Does it aim to inform, amuse, or persuade?
- Slide 11
- Sample answers to the questions. What kind of text is it? nonfiction article What are the main ideas? describes how glaciers are formed and tells where they are found Whats the purpose of the text? to inform
- Slide 12
- Now lets summarize it in writing. Using information from the answers to the previous questions, here is a sample summary of this text: Summary This one-page nonfiction article provides information about how glaciers are formed and where they are located in the world.
- Slide 13
- In summary
- Slide 14
- For Reference and More Practice Refer to the Writing a Summary Student Reference Sheet.Writing a Summary www.grammargallery.org
View more >
Summary Writing. Objectives 1. 1. Definition of a summary 2. 2. The characteristics of a good summary 3. 3. Techniques in summary writing 4. 4. Steps
E-SG 2200 E-SG 4000 SG 2200 SG 3000 SG 4200 SG 5500 ?· SG 2200 SG 3000 SG 4200 SG 5500 E-SG 2200 ...…
Words used in summary writing used in summary writing. Their experience and professionalism showed through in every word.. Words used in summary writing