who was henry viii
out of 15
Post on 19-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Who was Henry VIII? And why did he have 6 wives?
- 2. The Tudors
- The Tudors were a royal family who ruled England from 1485 until 1603.
- The first Tudor kingwas called Henry VII.
- He fought another king, Richard III, at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485.Richard was killed, Henry became king, and a new period of history began.
- 3. The Tudors
- This is the Tudor family tree.It shows when people were born, when they died, who they married and how many children they had.
- 4. Henry VIII
- Henry VIII was king of England from 1509 until 1547.
- He was born in 1491, and was only 17 years old when he became king.
- Henry ruled England for almost 40 years!
- 5. A description of Henry, by an Italian called Giustinian
- His majesty is twenty-nine years old, and extremely handsome.Nature could not have done more for him.He is much handsomer than any other sovereign in Christendom; a great deal handsomer then the King of France; very fair, and his whole frame admirably proportioned.On hearing that Francis I (the King of France) wore a beard, he allowed his own to grow; and as it is reddish, he has now got a beard that looks like gold.He is very accomplished; a good musician; composes well; is a most capital horseman; a fine jouster; speaks good French, Latin and Spanish; is very religious; hears three masses daily when he hunts, and sometimes five on other days.He is very fond of hunting, and never takes his diversion without tiring 8 or 10 horses.He is extremely fond of tennis, at which game it is the prettiest thing in the world to see him play, his fair skin glowing through a shirt of the finest texture.
- 6. Look again at this picture of Henry.How would you describe him now? Is he still young and handsome? How old do you think he is?Describe the expression on his face. How can you tell he is an important person? What sort of clothes is he wearing? What is Henry trying to tell us about himself in this portrait? Do you think that Henry really looked like this?
- 7. A powerful man
- When Henry was young he was an attractive, educated, charismatic man, but later in life he became too fat and had health problems.
- At first, England was a Catholic country. Henry married for the first time but after that he wanted an annulment. The Catholic Church didnt agree.
- He establishedhimself as the Supreme Head of the Church and so England became a Protestant nation
- 8. Henry and his wives
- In England, the crown is passed from the parent to the child when the parent dies.Henry was desperate to have a son.
- In order to have children, Henry needed a wife.But he married not once, not twice, but SIX times!!
- Some of these wives died, some he divorced, some he had killed and one survived him.Lets have a look at these wives in more detail.
- 9. Wife Number 1 Catherine of Aragon
- Henry married Catherine of Aragon in 1509.
- Catherine was a Spanish princess.
- They had one daughter, Mary, who later became Queen of England.
- Henry divorced Catherine.
- 10. Wife Number 2 Anne Boleyn
- Next, Henry married Anne Boleyn.
- Henry and Anne were married in 1533 in secret because Henry was still married to his first wife!
- They had a daughter, Elizabeth, who also later became a Queen of England.
- Henry had Anne beheaded.
- 11. Wife Number 3 Jane Seymour
- After getting rid of Anne, Henry married Jane Seymour in 1536.
- Jane finally gave Henry the son he so wanted Edward.
- Unfortunately, Edward died when he was just 16.
- Jane died after giving birth to Edward.
- 12. Wife Number 4 Anne of Cleves
- After Jane died, Henry sent a painter, Holbein, to Germany in 1540 to paint a picture of Anne of Cleves.
- He thought she looked very pretty, but when he saw her he hated her!
- He thought she was very ugly!
- They had no children.
- Henry divorced Anne.
- 13. Wife Number 5 Catherine Howard
- Next came Catherine Howard.
- She married Henry in 1540.
- They had no children, mainly because she didnt like Henry and had lots of other boyfriends!
- Henry wasnt very happy about this, and she was beheaded in 1542.
- 14. Wife Number 6 Catherine Parr
- Henry married his final wife in 1543.
- She is supposed to have been very nice and kind, and Henry seems to have been quite happy with her.
- They had no children, but stayed married.
- Catherine Parr outlived Henry he died in 1547, while she lived until 1548.
- 15. One king. Six wives. Three children.
View more >
The Six Wives of Henry VIII. Who was Henry VIII? Henry Tudor, named after his father, Henry VII, was born by Elizabeth of York June 28, 1491 in Greenwich
King Henry VIII Fayadh Kabir. Contents Intro Intro Who? Who? Where? Where? What? What? When? When? Why? Why?