what we eat what we know
Post on 09-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONPresentation on Halal Certification and Halal Food,Halal Research Councilwww.halalrc.org
- 1.What do we eat, what do we know Dr. Farrakh Mehboob Auditor, Halal Assesment & Certification Institute
2. Food Choice Factors HOW MUCH DO WE KNOW ? 3. O mankind ! eat the lawful and good things out of what is in the earth, and do not follow the footsteps of the Shaitan; surely he is your open enemy. (Surah Al-Baqarah: 168) Concept of Halal Quran as book of Law . 4. The Method The Person The Animal Requirements for animal products to be Halal 5. 6. 7. Examples of critical Ingredients Name of Ingredient / Product Source Industrial Use Amino Acidsanimals, plants, human hairs, duck feathers, microbial fermentation. Food supplements, baby foods, medicine, cosmetics, shampoos etc. Char coalAnimal bone, wood, synthetic (tribasic calcium phosphate)sugar white, water filters etc. Fats and Oils Animals, Plantfoods, cosmetics, medicine etc.Gelatinpigs, cows, fishCosmetics, shampoos, Food, pharmaceuticals (capsule) etc. RennetAnimal, microbial Cheese (whey as by product) Water retention agents Protein (animals, plants etc.), salts (Phosphates etc.) Low cost protein powder is mixed with water and Injected in meat to increase weight In UK certain poultry meat imported from the Netherlands and Belgium containing pork and beef proteins used as water retention agents ( http:// www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/pmeatregsriani.pdf ) 8.
- European gelatin
- 80 % is from pure pig-skin.
- 15 % from cattle.
- 5 % comes from pig and cattle bones, poultry and fish.
- http:// www.gelita.com /
- http:// en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin
9. EAT..NO....EAT...NO..EAT..EAT..NO..NO...??? 10.
- A religious friend??Teacher?Parents?List from internet??
Who should decide?????
- Personal opinion
- Different (knowledge, personality, personal interest, etc)
More confused!!! 11. Official fatwaA QUALIFIED HALAL CERTIFICATION BODY!!!!!! 1 12. General requirement
- Supported by muslim community
- Represents all Mdahib/Fiqh, at least within its representative country
- Working office
13. Internal qualification
- Qualified human power
- Food technologist, chemist, veterinarian:capable to conduct factory audit & ingredients screening
- Imams :capable to issue the fatwa independently
- Audit protocol
14. Examples of halal certification body PAKISTAN? Country % muslim Halal Body Halal cert. scope Indonesia 85 LPPOM-MUI Local + export Thailand 4.5 CICOT Local + export Phillipines 5-10 IDCP Local + export Germany 5.4 Halal Control Export Netherlands 5 HFFIA Export 15. Pakistan based Halal Certifiers
- 1) Halal Assessment & Certification Institute
- We are:
- Supported & supervised by Madaris
- 2) Halal Research Council
- 3) Halal Industry Research Centre
- 4) Pakistan Halal Certifiers
- 5) Madaris(Some Madaris of Pakistan are doing independent certification)
16. CRITICAL CONSUMERS????? 2 17.
- Protect local Muslim consumers !!
- Increase consumer awareness
- Workshops, Seminars, Media etc.
- Halal is a consumer right(as consumer pays for product while trust that what ever available in Pakistan is Halal).
Lets move one step ahead!!! 18.
Halal Research Council Conference www.halalrc.org Held at Expo Centre, Lahore - Pakistan