What is Shenandoah Family Promise?
out of 20
Post on 16-Aug-2015
- 1. Building communities, Strengthening lives... Family Promise of Shenandoah County
- 2. What is Family Promise? Family Promise is a community response for homeless families. It is a nonprofit, inter-denominational organization for families in transition and part of a national organization founded in 1986. The Family Promise Network Program brings shelter, meals, and support services to families without homes through a network of local congregations.
- 3. What is Family Promise? In 2014: 187 Family Promise Affiliates Nationwide 12,099 guests were served 3,817 families were served 7,070 children were served 76% of families secured housing
- 4. How Many People Are Homeless? Statistics show that there are 2-3 million people that experience homelessness every year in America. Forty percent of homeless families have young children. Shenandoah County Public Schools identified 49 students as homeless throughout the 2014-15 school year and 29 of them were still homeless as of May 18th.
- 5. Our Goal These families are deprived of a fundamental requirement for healthy development a safe, permanent home. Our goal is to provide food and shelter to children and their families in order to secure permanent housing as quickly as possible.
- 6. There are six pieces of the Family Promise Puzzle that must be secured and put together.
- 7. 1. Host Congregations A network of thirteen congregations will host a maximum of five families and fourteen individuals about four times a year. Host Congregations provide overnight lodging, breakfast, brown bag lunches, dinner, and hospitality. Support volunteers will assist host congregations with these duties.
- 8. 2. Volunteers Volunteers are the heart of Family Promise. Volunteers provide a variety of services such as cooking and serving meals, playing with children or helping with homework, interacting with guests with respect and compassion, and providing overnight security.
- 9. 3. Transportation A 14-passenger van has been donated to Family Promise. This van will transport families to and from the Family Center. This van will also carry bedding and luggage to the next Host Congregation. Children attending school will be transported by the Shenandoah County Public Schools bus system to his or her school of origin.
- 10. 4. Cooperation With Existing Community Agencies FPSC has developed relationships with: -Social Services -Shenandoah County Public Schools -Continuum of Care -Shenandoah Alliance for Shelter -Cooperative Extension Service -Response -Shenandoah Community Health Clinic
- 11. 5. Family Center -Provides a safe place where families will go throughout the day if currently unemployed. -Provides laundry facilities and showers. -Provides counseling services for job procurement and budgeting skills. -Provides a permanent address for parents involved in job seeking.
- 12. 5. Family Center (Continued) -Provides Case Management by a professional social worker/Executive Director who will also screen potential guest families for active substance abuse, domestic violence, or psychiatric problems. -Provides a place for clients to connect and network with existing service agencies that may benefit their needs. -Provides a home office for the Family Promise Executive Director
- 13. Tentative Floor Plan
- 14. Anticipated Renovations Certain renovations will be needed for this to become a reality including: Installation of two new bathrooms with tubs/showers, toilets, and sinks. Electrical upgrade as needed. Flooring renovations HVAC replacement Possible roof repairs
- 15. Estimated Expenses For Family Center Renovations Plumbing $ 7,800 Electrical 2,150 Flooring renovations 1,600 Framing 6,000 Total $17,550
- 16. 6. Finances -To complete needed renovations of the Family Center and for utilities. -For gas, insurance, oil and other van expenses. -To employ a professional Executive Director. -Washer, Dryer, Fridge, Microwave.
- 17. 6. Finances (Continued) -Desks, computers, printers, office equipment. -Bedding, cots, pillows, etc. -Postage and miscellaneous expenses. -Part time Case Manager.
- 18. How Can You Help? We are constantly recruiting volunteers to help in various ways. We are constantly looking for additional host congregations. We are in need of financial support in order to open and operate.
- 19. How Can You Help? Spread the word to others and invite their support. Pray, Pray, Pray! God is at work!!
- 20. Family Promise of Shenandoah County A Community Response for Homeless Families
View more >
Shenandoah Conservatory of Shenandoah University ?· Shenandoah Conservatory of Shenandoah University…