What do you think… …he was? …he wore? …he ate? Where did he live? How did he die? How old was he when he died? He was probably a hunter. He could have
out of 14
Post on 18-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Slide 2
- What do you think he was? he wore? he ate? Where did he live? How did he die? How old was he when he died? He was probably a hunter. He could have been a warrior He might have lived in a tent He could have been 50 years old
- Slide 3
- 1. What was he? (could) 2. What was he doing in the mountain? (might) 3. Where did he live? (must) 4. How did he die? (may) 5. What did he eat? (must) 6. How old was he when he died? (could)
- Slide 4
- 1. He could have been a hunter/shepherd. 2. He might have looked after his sheep. 3. He must have lived in a cave. 4. He may have died in cold and starvation. 5. He must have eaten a lot of meat and berries. 6. He could have been between forty and forty-five.
- Slide 5
- Auxiliary verb + have + past participle Must have lived Might have been May have died Could have seen
- Slide 6
- Had to: the past form of must (didnt have to) Must have: refers to past certainty e.g. 1. Sorry Im late. I had to post some letters. 2. He must have lived in a cave.
- Slide 7
- Should and ought to is probably the same Should have refers to sth which was supposed to happen. e.g. 1. The parcel I sent you should have arrived by now. 2. You shouldnt have eaten so much last night.
- Slide 8
- could have: past possibility or uncertainty e.g. 1. David could have won the race if he had tried. (possibility) 2. It could have been Sue, I suppose. (uncertainty) couldnt have: used with comparative adjectives e.g. We couldnt been happier in those days.
- Slide 9
- might have: past possibility (not happen) e.g. You might have drowned! might have/ may have: uncertainty e.g. I suppose I may have been rather critical. They might not have received our letter yet.
- Slide 10
- Refer to the speakers certainty a/b a past action. e.g. Someone must have taken it. (Im sure they did) You cant have lost it. (Im sure you didnt) Used with surely in exclamations e.g. Surely you cant have eaten all of it. Surely you must have noticed it.
- Slide 11
- Refers to events in the past which did not actually happen. e.g. I would have accepted the job, but I didnt want to move house. Assumptions a/b the past e.g. Someone called after you left but didnt leave a message.
- Slide 12
- neednt have: an unnecessary action which was actually done. e.g. You neednt have paid all at once. (You did pay) didnt need to: an unnecessary which was not done. e.g. I didnt need to go to the dentist again, luckily.
- Slide 13
- Theyll have They must have arrived Certain They might have They could have They may have Possible They cant have They wont have Certain
- Slide 14
- You must have seen him at the cinema. I know he was there. The dog is really dirty. He might have swum in the lake. He cant have been telling the truth. He might have left a message on your mobile. I dont know where she is. She may have gone shopping. She must have been very upset when you told her the news. Theyre not answering their phone. They must have gone away already. I dont see their car. They cant have come back yet.
View more >
© EPS Comms Limited. Question: How did Barack Obama become the most powerful man in the world? Did he pass lots of legislation? No he did not! Did he
What was Nicholas II’s reign like, and why did he have to ... was Nicholas II’s reign like, and why did he have to abdi t ?bdicate?
Who was Aesop? When and where did he live? We know he is famous for his fables, but did he do anything else? Was it difficult to write his fables? Why
Presidents of the United States. Essential Questions What date was president elected? What years did he serve? To which party did he belong? Major names
Ezekiel. Ezekiel Who was Ezekiel? –Priest in exile Where did he preach? –In Babylon –“Transported” to Jerusalem When did he preach? –593-571
Bob What did Bob and Tony do on their last school trip? A: What did Bob do on his last school trip? B: He … A: Did he… ? B: Yes, he did. / No, he didnt
Quiz 11.2 Review Questions Packet Page 7. Who was Toussaint-Louverture and what did he do? He was a former slave. He became the leader of Saint Dominique
Start-Up What was the job Tom Walker agreed to do for the devil? How did he make money at it? Would you say that the work he did was “honest work?” Why
FOR PUBLICATION - cdn.ca9. was taken to the county hospital for treat- ... (2) he never saw Custody Division Manual 5-12/010.00, or, if he did, it was not in Spanish and he did
Avraham, Yitzchak, Yaakov. Where was he born? When did he live? What civilizations did he encounter? Details of his life Ur Kasdim Haran
Who was John? Who was John? – Apostle/inner circle – Author of 5 NT books Why did he write? Why did he write? – “That you may believe” – “That by believing
EARLY MAN DID NOT KNOW WHAT FIRE WAS BUT HE WAS WELL AWARED OF THE DESTRUCTION CAUSED BY FIRE.SO HE WAS AFRAID OF FIRE
oupe. documentos...And suddenly to mg surprise, He did the mash, He did the monster mash, The monster mash, It was a graveyard smash. He did the mash, It caught on in a flash,