what do we know about happiness
out of 64
Post on 19-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONSlides from a seminar which I led — translated to English. Lots of important points are missing... but hey.
- Happiness what do we know about it?
- To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost. Gustave Flaubert
- Smart people against happiness: Schopenhauer Freud Sartre
- Smart people against happiness: Every happiness is but lent by chance for an uncertain time, and may therefore be demanded back the next hour. Schopenhauer Freud Sartre
- Smart people against happiness: The intention that man should be happy is not included in the plan of Creation. Schopenhauer Freud Sartre
- Smart people against happiness: @#%$*$( happiness %^!#@ (^*)!@#!@__*#@!^#!!!! Schopenhauer Freud Sartre
- Amount of articles in psychology 359,295 magazines from 1887 to 2003: 242,134 93,381 38,349 43,529 23,790 933 4,247 Prophy- Therapy Courage Fear Happiness Depression lactics Good BAD
- Who needs happiness?
- They do: Martin Mihaly Daniel Sonja Ed Seligman Csikszentmihalyi Gilbert Lyubomirsky Diener
- They arepositive psychologists
- They research happiness (maybe not exactly this way)
- They research, how happiness links to... Intellect Money Income Love All the rest?
- For instance: Is it true, that only fools are happy? Source: Lisa Simpson
- Is this happiness?
- Actually H A P Theres a mildly P positive correlation I between happiness N E and intelligence. S S INTELLIGENCE Source: Choi and Veenhoven (2008)
- Is it true that happiness leads to laziness?
- Actually, happy people are MORE achievement oriented. Source: Lyubomirsky, King, Diener (2005)
- In companies, where happy people work Customer Personnel Work-related Productivity satisfaction turnover injuries Profits Source: Harter, Schmidt (2002)
- Happy people earn more: Happy in 1976: Income in 1990: :-( $50,000 :-) $65,000 Source: Diener, 2008
- Does money bring happiness?
- To some extent yes Text
- If everybodys poor theres no difference.
- The richer the happier
- Nobody to envy again.
- The real income increased by 100%, but the happiness level is
- In the US, as of today: 10 9 8 7.85 Happiness 7 6.38 6 5 level 4 3 2 1 < 10 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 150 > 200 Income, thousand US$ per year Source: Lucas and Schimmack (forthcoming)
- Money could make you happier, but if they are TOO important for you...
- Source: Diener and Oishi (2000)
- If you are concerned with money you are more likely to be unhappy. Source: Diener and Oishi (2000)
- Happiness is in marriage!
- Its a popular opinion What makes you happy? 37% 22% 26% 15% Family life Friends Work Income Source: Loewenstein
- Marriage correlates with happiness 10% Married are happier than single
- However, there are some nuances Got married Got divorced Source: Diener (2008)
- Wedding!... The effect lasts for ~ 2 years
- Children: Small negative impact* *Yes, thats shocking! Source: Gilbert, 2007
- Exception: women with their first child
- Friends are more reliable: if you can name 5 or more close friends you are 60% more likely to be very happy. Source: Myers, 1992
- Good health is essential!
- Typical emotions of a recovering patient Point of recovery Source: Diener (2008)
- Gerald is the happiest person I ever met.
- Older people are happier! Happiness Age Source: BHPS
- True happiness lies in faith.
- Percentage of very happy people in the US: 41% 36% 21% 16% Atheists Former believers Believers New believers
- But this is true only for religious countries. (Also, non-religious Denmark and Netherlands are happier than the US.) Denmark India Nepal Afghanistan
- So where is it?
- Factors that affect happiness: Income Employment 10% Family status Genes Health Age 50% Religiousness 40% Hedonic affect Flow Meaning of life Source: Lyubomirsky (2008), consensus estimate
- Pleasures bring happiness (nothing new)
- But not the purchases activities! (people adapt easily)
- Source: Fontane (1996) Start +12% to the exercising: happiness level
View more >