WELCOME! Pretend you are a person that was recently captured from West Africa. You are traveling on the Middle Passage to reach the New World and will.
Post on 23-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- WELCOME! Pretend you are a person that was recently captured from West Africa. You are traveling on the Middle Passage to reach the New World and will soon be sold into slavery. Describe your conditions. How do you feel about your situation?
- Slide 2
- West African Religions Animism Before the introduction of Islam and Christianity, Africa had a very developed system of religion. It was called Animism, which cannot be minimized to a specific set of beliefs, but most ethnic groups believed in: One supreme god Several other gods Belief in spirits of ancestors Sacrifice (child or animal) to secure protection Need to undergo a Rite of Passage which is a coming of age ceremony or ritual
- Slide 3
- Animism Animism is also the belief that every natural thing has a spirit or soul. For example, humans, animals, rocks, thunder, mountains, and other natural entities are believed to have spirits. Many traditional West African tribes had medicine men for spiritual and physical healing as well as rainmakers which would bring rain to an area
- Slide 4
- Animism Medicine Man
- Slide 5
- Islam in West Africa Islam was introduced to West Africa in three different stages: Containment Mixing Reform
- Slide 6
- Islam in West Africa - Containment Islam was introduced to West Africa through trading systems with Eastern and Northern Africa North African people would trade horses, camels, fruits and salt for West African gold and food. West African leaders forced Muslim merchants to stay outside of the cities so that their religion would not spread.
- Slide 7
- Islam in West Africa - Mixing Eventually, the merchants were allowed to integrate with the city, spreading Islam to the people of W. Africa Many people tried to mix both animism with Islam, creating a fusion of both religions
- Slide 8
- Islam in West Africa - Reform Due to the mixing of both animism and Islam, Muslim extremists carried out jihads, or holy wars, on the people of West Africa The first jihad was in Mauritania The purpose of the jihads were to purify Islam in West Africa, ridding the people of animism and to carry out the Sharia, or the Islamic law in West Africa.
- Slide 9
- Islamic Mosque in Ghana
- Slide 10
- Christianity in West Africa Although Christianity was first introduced to Africa in Egypt in the 1 st century, West Africa was not really exposed to Christianity until Europe colonized Africa Traditionally, Europeans believed that Africans did not have a religious belief system (even though they practiced Animism) so many European churches sent missionaries to Africa to spread Christianity
- Slide 11
- Christianity in West Africa Some European countries used Christianity and the need for sending missionaries as justification, or another reason, for taking over land in West Africa Today, Christianity is the most practiced religion in Africa
- Slide 12
- Church in Nigeria
- Slide 13
- Syncretism in West Africa Similar to the introduction of Islam in West Africa, people tried to fuse Christianity with Animism. The mixing and fusion of two or more religions is called syncretism
View more >
Living the Stillspeaking Welcome No matter who you are or where you are on lifes journey,….. You are welcome here!
High Middle Ages Web Quest. You are on a QUEST! Welcome to the fascinating world of the Middle Ages, a time of kings, castles, armor, and feudal life.
Advanced ActingFall Acting Application...Web viewDescribe the situation you are in as this character, the relationship you have to the person to whom you are singing and what you hope to get from that person. If you are speaking to yourself, why? What are your objectives? ...
WELCOME TO SHAPE HIVE - gov.uk you are on the Internet the website will also give you ... your SHAPE addresses i ... Free Fuel Cards are available from Top SHAPE and ...
PowerPoint 9.11 Class Writing Planning a Party. Pretend that you are Ken. You are calling Alex to have a party. Think what should you say on the phone.
Fairy Doll - Doll Head R1 Sc6 in ... that stop you from making beautiful fairy dress you are ... You will have a hole in the middle that we will use to make a pony tail
Are you the same person you used to be? - you the same person you used to be? ... I am the same person today that I was as a child or ... Can you guess
The Ideal Gas Relationships. Three Factors to Consider Pretend you are a fixed amount of gas…Who has a great influence on your life? Pretend you are a.
Soul is the spirit of a person. What makes me, "me" and what makes you, "you“ eg. the part of you that makes you who you are and that will live on after.
CYBORG ? “Welcome to the other side. I welcome you here, even though you probably aren't aware that you are on it”
Introduction to West Africa What do you already know About West Africa? How is West Africa important to you What are some of the issues & problems in.