out of 36
Post on 28-Jan-2018
Embed Size (px)
- 1. When English isWeird
- 2. Expect Exceptions!
- 3. Somelettersaresilent Some letters are silent and don't like to sing They are there but are quiet, and don't say a thing
- 4. Oneletter can havedifferent sounds
- 5. Someletterscombineto makenew sounds Strategy: Check for H Brothers& Giveng afling CH: hip/chip SH: hop/shop TH: hat/that WH: hen/when NG: sun/sung
- 6. PH & GH can say F A photograph of a phone A cough can be rough gh might be silent, like in light
- 7. Somelettersdoubleat theend
- 8. Strategy: Keep Cautiouswith K & C When you hear thehard k sound, which will it be? K takesI & E....C takestheother three Kit Keg Cat Cot Cut
- 9. Strategy: GiveCarewith G & C Soft or Hard?
- 10. -CK or -K spelling thek sound at theend of aword
- 11. Vowelscan beshort, & they can belong How can you know how to not get them wrong? Short vowels say the sound, long vowels the name To know which is which can be quite a pain
- 12. Strategy: Notean E at theend Silent e at the end makes the vowel say it's name. It turns pin into pine Apart or together, it works just the same. pie or pine, both ways are fine.
- 13. Defender D
- 14. Morewaysavowel can belong Open Syllables
- 15. Strategy: Observean R Bossy R likes to tell the vowels what to do It can change a cat into a cart. (that is true). 5 Bossy R spellings, 3 Bossy R sounds... you will see Bossy Rs everywhere around.
- 16. SometimesSilent ewins
- 17. SometimesBossy R does
- 18. ar can sound likeer
- 19. or can sound likeer
- 20. With an ebeforear, anything goes
- 21. Open & Closed Syllables Strategy: Noticeaclosed or open door A vowel that is followed by a consonant is closed in. A closed syllable is often short like in pin. A vowel is open with no consonant behind Open syllables are often long, you will find.
- 22. Strategy: Look for vowel teams Vowel Teams can be long & say the first sound
- 23. Except for Diphthongs Which often make new sounds But sometimes not... AU & AW sound like the short O in dog Now don't forget that OW can also say long O like in grow
- 24. Other vowel teamsthat don't follow when 2 vowelsgo walking, the1st onedoesthetalking
- 25. SameLetters, Two Sounds ie says long I as in pie, unless you want to have a piece. At times it can briefly steal a long E like a thief.
- 26. SameLetters, Two Sounds ea says long E when you eat peas, but not bread. Did your ear hear the short E that bread said?
- 27. SameLetters, Two Sounds Find ow in a brown cow, unless there is snow. Then it says Long O, don't you know?
- 28. SameLetters, Two Sounds oo might say boot, unless you put in your foot. To make good food, you need a cook book.
- 29. Strategy: Discovery of aY at theend Y at the end will often say I in a one syllable word like fly When more syllables you see, it likely says E
- 30. Strategy: Beawareof schwa Every vowel can make a schwa sound So there are lots of schwa's to be found A schwa is a quick & weak uh You can find two in this word: above.
- 31. Synonyms& Antonyms Homophones& Homonyms Homonyms: words with multiple meanings
- 32. Homographs & Homophones Homographs look just the same but mean something else! Watch out for homographs when you say give me a ring! (what do you mean?)
- 33. Yes, English isWeird Now you know that this is true... The rules are more like guidelines that give you a clue!
- 34. Credits Boostforreaders.com Short/Long Chart: First Grade Wow Bossy R: carlscorner.us.com Defender D & FLOSS Rule: maketaketeach.com Schwa: www.logicofenglish.com Synonym/Antonyms: vocabularypage.com Homograph/Homophones: heerenshappenings2.blogspot.com
View more >