Post on 13-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. PRESENTATION ON VSAT [ VERY SMALL APERTURE TERMINAL ]Tuesday, October 25, 2011
- VSAT or Very Small Aperture Terminals are small, software-driven earth stations.
- It is used for the reliable transmission of data, video, or voice via satellite.
- It requires no staff or additional technology to operate it.
- It simply plugs into existing terminal equipment.
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3.
- Short for Small Aperture Terminal, an earthbound station used in satellite communications of data, voice and video signals, excluding broadcast television. A VSAT should consists of two parts -- >
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 VSAT Transceiver Device such asPersonal Computer (PC) 4.
- A VSAT consists of two parts, atransceiverthat is placed outdoors in direct line of sight to the satellite and a device that is placed indoors to interface the transceiver with theend user'scommunications device, such as aPC.
- The transceiver receives or sends a signal to a satellite transponder in the sky.
- The satellite sends and receives signals from a ground station computer that acts as a hub for the system.
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 5. Working of HUB station
- Each end user is interconnected with the hub station via the satellite, forming astar topology .
- The hub controls the entire operation of the network .
- For one end user to communicate with another, each transmission has to first go to the hub station that then retransmits it via the satellite to the other end user's VSAT.
- VSAT can handle up to 56 Kbps.
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6. Usage of VSAT
- The first commercial VSAT were C band (6 GHz) receive-only systems by Equatorial Communications.
- VSATare used by car dealerships affiliated with manufacturers such asFordandGeneral Motors
- They are used for transmitting and receiving sales figures and orders, as well as for receiving internal communications, service bulletins, and interactivedistance learningcourses from manufacturers. The Ford Star network, used by Ford and its local dealers, is an example of this.
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7. Usage of VSAT
- VSAT technology is also used for 2-way satellite internet providers such asHughesNetandStarBandin the US.
- Nearly all VSAT systems are now based on IP, with a very broad spectrum of applications.
- As of December 2004 , the total number of VSATs ordered stood at over 1 million, with nearly 650,000 in service. Annual VSAT service revenues were $3.88 billion.
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8. Configurations of VSAT
- Astar topology , using a central uplink site, such as a network operations center (NOC), to transport data back and forth to each VSAT terminal via satellite.
- Amesh topology , where each VSAT terminal relays data via satellite to another terminal by acting as a hub, minimizing the need for a centralized uplink site.
- A combination of bothstar and meshtopologies.These configurations are utilized to minimize the overall cost of the network, and to alleviate the amount of data that has to be relayed through a central uplink site (or sites) of a star or multi-star network.
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9. VSAT customers
- Supermarket Shops.
- Chemist Shops.
- Garages / vehicle sales / petrol stations / motor spares.
- Hotel chains.
- Insurance offices.
- Car rental offices.
- Airlines, travel agents.
- Financial institutions - ATM machines.
- Manufacturers - sales offices, service divisions, plants.
- Job centers.
- Customs and tax offices / border passport control checkpoints.
- Data file and software distributors.
- Pipeline monitoring, oil rigs.
- Rural telephony, data, videophone.
- Environmental monitoring.
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10. Spotlight VSAT Application: SiriCOMM Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11.
- About SiriCOMM
- The primary mission of SiriCOMM Inc. is to develop software to help the trucking industry become more productive, use assets better, and reduce operating costs. The company has over 40 years experience in developing trucking industry applications, but also realized that its software couldnt reach its full potential without a substantially improved means of communication between truck drivers and trucking companies.
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12. Characteristics of VSAT systems
- Reliable Communications
- VSAT satellite communications provide virtually error-free digital data communications and better than 99.9% network reliability.
- Remote Communications
- No matter how remote or dispersed your operations are, VSAT provide a link to your headquarters. VSAT can provide remote diagnostics, remote monitoring, and data streaming services from remote or hazardous sites.
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 13.
- VSAT deployment takes no more than 4-6 weeks as compared to 4 to 6 months for leased lines .
- Network Management
- Network monitoring and control of the entire VSAT network is much simpler than a network of leased lines, involving multiple carriers at multiple locations. A much smaller number of elements needs to be monitored incase of a VSAT network and also the number of vendors and carriers involved in between any two user terminals in a VSAT network is typically one.
- A single point contact for operation, maintenance, rapid fault isolation and trouble shooting makes things very simple for a client, using VSAT services
- VSAT networks offer enormous expansion capabilities. VSAT can be rapidly installed to support the network expansion to any site, no matter however remote.
- A comparison of costs between a VSAT network and a leased line network reveals that a VSAT network offers significant savings over a two to three years timeframe.
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 15. System Integration
- IP Based Wan Network Services
- E-Mail Service
- Mobile VSAT Communications System
- Data and Voice Connectivity
- Installation, Moving And Set-up Services
- Broadcast Services
- Contract Installation and Service on VSAT Networks
- Real-Time Data Acquisition and Broadcast
- 7/24 Hour Service and Support
- CDMS (Code Division Multiple Access) Technology
- SCPC (Single Carrier Per Channel) Technology
- TDMA (Time-Division Multiple Access) Technology
- Multiple Network Configurations
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 16. VSAT Site Installation
- The antenna needs to be mounted where it can 'see' the satellite and where it is safe from unauthorised access.
- Ground Mount
- This involves a tube lowered into a hole which is then filled in with concrete. The pole should be accurately vertical so that when you swing the dish around to find the satellite the elevation angle stays the same all the time.
- The indoor data processing unit (DPU)
- The indoor data processing unit (DPU) should be located in a dry, cool and clean place.
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 17.
- Installing a dish is normally dangerous. Take care not to fall down and not to drop tools on others below. Be careful with ladders - always tie off the top to some secure point. A small electric shock may make you fall off a ladder so be extra careful.
- TIPS:----If you are a beginner, practice the complete installation at ground level before moving everything to the roof.
- The dish pointingneeds to be near perfect as the transmit beam is narrower then the receive beam.
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 18. Thanks
- Submitted by :----Submitted to :--
- Amit Kumar PandeyAshok Behra Sir