Using the Joomla Framework for Internet of Things (IoT) Case for Lighting Control
out of 40
Post on 17-Aug-2014
DESCRIPTIONThis case study presentation shows how we have used the #joomla framework in building a IoT infrastructure for Lighting control systems. The infra provides a way to control various smart devices via web & mobile devices and also mash up other APIs. Its designed to scale easily both in terms of numbers as well as in terms of protocols
- Building a LCMS with the Joomla Framework the internet of things & Joomla
- Parth Lawate Strategic Marketing Manger Joomla CEO, Techjoomla, Tekdi Web Solutions @parthlawate, @techjoomla www.techjoomla.com Cook Bookworm Gardener JUG Pune Joomla Freak Trekking Entrepreneur Joomla Day India Open Source Software Architecht Marketing Content Strategy Hiking
- Tekdi Web Solutions @tekdinet tekdi.net IOS Apps CRM Magento E Learning Ecommerce Joomla Custom Apps Android CMS HTML5 Social Networks
- Techjoomla. For All things Joomla @techjoomla techjoomla.com jGive People Suggest jomLike JTicketing J!Bolo Broadcast Invitex Email Beautifier SocialAds J!MailAlerts REST API Payments API Social API Quick2Cart
- Our worst fears have come true ! Another CMS on the Joomla Framework !! LCMS
- What's a LCMS ? How do I Build my Website with it ?
- Lighting Control Management System
- What does a LCMS do ? Device Management Device Grouping Scheduling Manufacturer Mgmt User Management Access Control Reports & Analytics
- Why are they Used ? Control + Automation Intelligent scheduling Maximise energy savings Comply with Building & energy regulations
- Where are they used ? University Campuses Hotels Industries Street lighting Any situation where volume ligting is implemented
- What's a Web & Mobile Company doing in this space ? the key is to use our existing expertise in new areas of application
- Enter Techventures Enventure Partners + Tekdi Technologies Hardware + Software
- We're looking at making hardware integrations simpler by bringing web services into the picture. Less of embeded programming, more of web
- A Little Background Replacing Proprietery hardware with Open H/W solutions Replacing Proprietory LCMs built by Billion
- Challenges Control Thousands of devices Support Multiple transport protocols & formats Support new devices & retrofits Extremely light footprint Scale as needed
- Simplified Representation HTML5 Browser UI Application Server + Web Services Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway D E V I C E S
- Base Architecture Device Drivers ( LED lights/Motors/ Air Conditioning etc) Device Subnet LCMS Backend on Joomla FW LAMP Stack JSON over XMPP/HTTP Webservices JSON over XMPP/HTTP HTML5 Browser UI Mobile App /resource-id/action/value || ds344/dim/10 JSON over Power line / Wireless/ Zigby/Bluetooth Controller DB Device Gateway Raspberry Pis Cloud/Hosted Webserver Currently Hosted on Pi #Python
- The Blue Box The Joomla Framework (Bluebox) is being used as a Cloud based server that communicates to several "gateways" LCMS Backend on Joomla FW LAMP Stack
- The Green Box Currently running Raspberry Pi's for the gateways running python among other things for the application code Device Subnet Controller DB
- Multi Gateway Access Pt Controller JSON over Power line / Wireless/ Zigby Blue Box Access Pt Controller Access Pt Controller Horizontal scaling for volume is achieved by adding more gateways to the network
- The Framework App Joomla Framework xmpphp package https://packagist.org/packages/tyrola/xmpphp bootstrap package Twig package
- APIs with the Framework The Framework app outputs both human consumable views as well as Web Services Currently we are using only the Webservices
- The App in Action HTML5 Web App working off Framework Webservices
- Polling based Device Discovery Imaging you have Building with 1000 lights installed on various floors Auto Discovery via polling lets the system 'auto discover' devices connected to that g/w
- Discover available services Discover the services supported by the devices via polling In case of lights it can be ON/OFF/DIM Depending on device type this can vary
- Group the Devices Managing one by Sucks ! Group devices into logical groups You can create as many groups as you want & assign devices to groups Each device can be in multiple functional groups. - Eg: 1 group per storey, decorative & functional light groups etc
- Scheduling Create schedules and automate Schedule for individuals or groups Eg: Dim porch lights at 6am, Turn off porch lights at 9am.
- Override when needed Each device's state can also be overridden, which will override it's state defined by a schedule.
- Device Mapping Maps Integration for mapping devices
- User Management Manage Users, Grant access, delegate responsobility.
- Multiple transport options for G/ws Choose to Connect gateways via different transport methods Choose between XMPP or COAP *Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) is a software protocol intended to be used in very simple electronics devices that allows them to communicate interactively over the Internet.
- Device Asset & Manufacturer mgmt Makes it easier to manage devices & warranties as well as maintainance from multiple manufactures with asset management done via the same unified system.
- Before > After
- A look at the Prototype Working Prototype hardware with live demo launched ! Production devices go live very soon !
- J! Framework Contributions Full CRUD Example with Add/Edit/List Views & REST Webservices Router that simplifies RESTful URLs https://github.com/coolbung/framework-app/tree/FW1.0
- What Else ? What Next ?
- The Internet of Things (IoT) LCMS Is a sub case IoT The Infrastructure for LCMS can be used many many IoT applications The Infrastructure is completely scalable both from a hardware & software perspective
- M2M & M2E Communications The architechture allows for Machine to machine connectivity as well as Machine to Enterprise communications
- Term Glossary API - Application Programing Interface LCMS - Lighting control Management System XMPP - Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol is a communications protocol for message oriented middleware base protocol based on XML(Extensible Markup Language). The protocol was originally named Jabber. RPi - Raspberry pi COAP - Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) is a software protocol intended to be used in very simple electronics devices that allows them to communicate interactively over the Internet.
- Thank You ! Questions ? Interested in an implementation like this or anything that deals with intesting web/mobile/hardware mashups ? Drop us an email ! firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter @techjoomla | @parthlawate
View more >
Standard for an Architectural Framework for the Internet ... for an Architectural Framework for the Internet of Things ... Standard for an Architectural Framework for the Internet ... IoT Architecture Framework
[IEEE 2010 Internet of Things (IOT) - Tokyo, Japan (2010.11.29-2010.12.1)] 2010 Internet of Things (IOT) - Semantic middleware for the Internet of Things
Sensors for the Internet of Things - ? Sensors for the Internet of Things ... (the front end of IoT)
The Internet of Things (IoT): Applications, investments ... ? The Internet of Things (IoT): Applications,