updated resume nov. 2016
Post on 15-Jan-2017
Embed Size (px)
Karen C. Matthews CV rev September 2016 Page 1 of 14 CONFIDENTIAL
Karen C. Matthews, Ph.D. 435 Stoneville Rd
Stoneville, MS 38776 PH 62-686-3843
Doctor of Philosophy, Health Science Administration, University of Tennessee Master of Business Administration, University of Memphis Bachelor of Science, Engineering, University of Mississippi
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE Delta Health Alliance, Stoneville, Mississippi
2008 Present President & Chief Executive Officer, Delta Health Alliance 2006 2008 Chief Operating Officer, Delta Health Alliance Associate Professor, Medicine, University of Mississippi Medical
University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee
2005 2006 Vice Chancellor, University of TN Health Science Center Associate Professor, Department of Preventive Medicine
2001 2005 Associate Dean, College of Medicine; Executive Director, Center for Health Innovation and Community Outreach; Assistant Professor, Department of Preventive Medicine
1999-2001 Assistant Vice President, Information Infrastructure
1996 1999 Executive Director, Computing and Telecommunications 1987 1996 Assistant Director, Computing and Telecommunications Ernst and Young
1985 1987 Ernst and Young Accounting Firm, Memphis, Tennessee College Level Course Instruction Guest Lecture Summer, 2016 Data Driven Leadership Christian Brothers University, Memphis, TN
Spring, 2016 Public Health Policy Rhodes College, Memphis, TN
Fall, 2015 Public Health Policy Christian Brother University, Memphis, TN
Summer, 2015 Public Health Policy Christian Brothers University, Memphis, TN
Karen C. Matthews CV rev September 2016 Page 2 of 14 CONFIDENTIAL
Honors & Current Professional Memberships Member, Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society, 2001 2006 Member, American Telemedicine Association, 2001 2011 Chairperson, Southern Governors Association Task Force on Bioterrorism, 2003 Member, National Steering Committee of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality,
2004 - 2008 Council Member, American Lung Association-Memphis Council, 2005- 2008 Board Member, Regional Chapter American Diabetes Association, 2004 - 2007 Member, AHRQ Steering Committee, National Resource Center for Health Information
Technology, 2005-2007 Mississippi Childrens Justice Center Advisory Council, 2007 - 2009 Chairperson, Early Childhood Collaboration Oversight Committee, 2008 2010 Member, Board of Trustees, Memphis Data Partners for Children, 2014 2015 Member, Memphis Library Foundation Board, 2012 - present Member, Adverse Childhood Experiences Task Force of Shelby County, 2014 Present Commissioner appointment, The Goodwyn Institute, 2015 Present University of Mississippi Engineering School Advisory Board, 2016-present Member, Engage Cuba Mississippi State Council, 2016-present Masters Projects & Thesis Committees UTHSC, College of Graduate Health Sciences, Master of Science in Epidemiology Program, Thesis Committee Peter A. Albrecht: "Assessing STAR Reading Assessment Alignment with the Mississippi Third Grade Reading Summative Assessment", February 5, 2016 - April 25, 2016. Committee Members: Fridtjof Thomas, PhD, UTHSC Dept. of Preventive Medicine (Chair); Margaret DeBon, PhD, UTHSC Dept. of Preventive Medicine and Baptist Clinical Research Institute; Karen Matthews, PhD, Delta Health Alliance. ORIGINAL PUBLICATIONS
1. K. Matthews, PhD; Cathy Melvin - Developing a Research Agenda for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention in High-risk Rural Communities: Guiding Principles and Recommendations. American Journal of Public Health, July 2012 Ref.: Ms. No. AJPH-20113241R2.
2. Fox, Karen C.; Stephanie C. Steinberg; Teresa M. Waters. Nonurgent Emergency Department Use: Are Things Ever Going to Change? Health Studies: Economics, Management and Policy, Chapter 12, Douglas Angus and Zoe Boutsioli, Editors. Athens: Athens Institute for Education and Research (ATINER), pp. 165-178, 2011.
3. K. Fox, PhD; Anna Lyn Whitt, LMSW, MPH; Leigh Ann Ross, PharmD; Lauren Bloodworth, PharmD Health Affairs Blog Pharmacy Medication Adherence with an IT Perspective
4. Chaum, Edward, Fox, Karen C., Seema, Garg; Telemedicine and e-Health - A HIPAA-Compliant Ocular Telehealth Network for the Remote Diagnosis and Management of Diabetic Retinopathy, Telemedicine and e-Health, 2011.
5. Fox, Karen; Li, Yaqin; Karnowski, Thomas; Tobin, Kenneth; Giancardo, Luca; Morris, Scott; Sparrow, Elizabeth; Garg, Seema; Chaum, Edward. A HIPAA-Compliant Ocular Telehealth Network for the Remote Diagnosis and Management of Diabetic Retinopathy - Telemedicine and e-Health.
6. Fox, K, Karnowski, T, Combining Image and Non-Image Data for Automatic Detection of Retina Disease in a Telemedicine Network to 2011 Biomedical Science and Engineering Conference - Image Informatics and Analytics in Biomedicine.
Karen C. Matthews CV rev September 2016 Page 3 of 14 CONFIDENTIAL
7. Fox, K, Connor P, McCullers E, Waters T. Effect of a behavioral and specialty care telemedicine program on goal attainment for youths in Juvenile detention, Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare 07-11-002, 2008.
8. Fox, K, Making the Case: Telemedicine Can Improve the Health of Incarcerated Youth, Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare 08-RW-02, 2008.
9. Fox K, Timeliness and Access to Healthcare Services via Telemedicine for Adolescents in State Correctional Facilities, Journal of Adolescent Health 41 (2007) 161-167.
10. Fox K, , Waters TM Timeliness and Access to Care via Telemedicine for Youth in State Custody Journal of Adolescent Health, February 2005 (Vol. 36, Issue 2, p. 121-122.)
11. Fox K, Somes G, Waters TM. Kids in Custody: Providing Cost Savings in Caring for Adolescents in State Custody Through the Use of Telehealth Technologies and Restructured Referral Patterns, Journal of Correctional Health Care, September, 2006 12:3 DOI: 10.1177/1078345806292667
12. McCarthy D and Fox K, Case Study: University of Tennessee Health Science Centers Telehealth Network, The Commonwealth Fund Quality Matters Newsletter, March 2006.
13. Dimmick SL, Fox KC, The Promise of E-Therapy, Scientific American Mind, December 2005, No. 4.
14. Belew AC, Fox KC, Frolick MN, McQuaid B. Moving from a Mainframe to a Web-Based Design, The Journal of Modern Business, September 2004.
15. Fox K. Creating a Telehealth Network for Bioterrorism and Emergency Response: American Telemedicine Association White Paper, Commissioned by the Office for the Advancement of Telehealth, 2003.
16. Fox K. Evolving Learning Environments, Journal of Computer Information Systems, Summer 2000, No.4.
17. Fox K. Creating a Paperless Workflow, Information Systems Management, Spring 1999, Vol. 16, No. 2.
PRESENTATIONS 1. Karen Matthews, PhD, Selected Presenter- Technology and Outcomes in the Mississippi
Delta The Womens Legacy Summit, Executive Alliance, Amelia Island, FL, October 6, 2015.
2. Karen Matthews, PhD, Selected Presenter- 107th NREA Convention and Research Symposium in October 2015. Lesson Learned from a Rural Promise Neighborhood Model: A Story of Trust.
3. Karen Matthews, PhD, Joslyn Davis, II. Indianola Promise Community Building a Seamless Pipeline Starting as Early as Possible. Department of Education, Washington DC. July 8, 2015.
4. Karen Matthews, PhD, Keynote Address for the University of Memphis Fall Forum Place Based Strategies for Strengthening Capacity in the Mid-South: Lessons Learned. November 10, 2014.
5. Cathy Lee Melvin, Giselle Corbie-Smith, Shiriki Kumanyika, Cheryl Nelson, Charlotte Pratt, Evelyn Walker, Alice Ammerman, Guadalupe Ayala, Lyle Best, Andrea Cherrington, Valerie Darden, Chris Economos, Jane Harman, Steven P. Hooker, Joseph R Sharkey, Neal William, Nara Gavini, and The Workshop Working Group on CVD Prevention in High-Risk Rural Communities. Developing a Research Agenda for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention in High-risk Rural Communities: Guiding Principles and Recommendations. June 14-15, 2011, Bethesda, MD.
6. K. Fox, PhD, Beacon Communities Transforming Practice through Information Technology and Common Care Strategies World Congress Meaningful Use of EHRs Summit, Vienna, VA, May 23, 2011
7. T. P. Karnowski, D. Aykac, L. Giancardo, Y. Li, Ph.D., T. Nichols, M.D., Ph.D., K. Fox, Ph.D., S. Garg, M.D., Ph.D., K.W. Tobin, Jr., Ph.D., E. Chaum, M.D., Ph.D., Robustness to
Karen C. Matthews CV rev September 2016 Page 4 of 14 CONFIDENTIAL
Image Quality and Anatomy Structure Localization forAutomatic Detection of Retina Disease, IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society Conference, 2011.
8. Fox, K., Delta Health Alliance Project Outcomes, Oral Presentation. Dealt Council Board of Directors, Stoneville, MS. November 11, 2010.
9. Fox, K., Whitt, AL, Hill, T. Eliminating Health Disparities by Incorporating HIT into Rural Communities, Oral Presentation. American Public Health Association (APHA) 138th Annual Meeting & Expo, Denver, CO. November 6-10, 2010.
10. Gilmore, MD, J., Wyant, L., Calhoun, J. Fox, K. Access to Care for the Under and Un-Insured: The 21st Century Model of Primary Care for Chronic Disease, Oral Presentation. American Public Health Association (APHA) 138th Annual Meeting & Expo, Denver, CO. November 6-10, 2010.
11. Wyant, L., Calhoun, J. Fox, K. Delta CHWs: Combining Resources to Meet Social Needs through the Medical Home, Oral Presentation. American Public Health Association (APHA) 138th Annual Meeting & Expo, Denver, CO. November 6-10, 2010.