unit 1 cultural relics period 5 listening and talking
out of 13
Post on 18-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Unit 1 Cultural relics Period 5 Listening and talking
- Slide 2
- ```` I. Warming up 1.Where is the Aswan High Dam? It is in Egypt. 2. What problems did people know about before they started to build the Aswan High Dam? 53,000 people would have to be moved from their villages. Many important old temples around the Aswan area were in danger, and they would be covered by the water of the new lake. 3. How did they solve the problem of Abu Simbel? The whole temple was moved stone by stone and rebuilt above the new lake.
- Slide 3
- ```` Look at the following key words. Then listen to Part A and find out what happened when a dam was built in Egypt. Number the key words as you hear them. Aswan High Dam River NileAbu Simbel Electricitycovered by water Floodsengineers UNESCO II. Listening 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
- Slide 4
- 1.Whats the topic of the listening text? A. Aswan High Dam and River Nile. B. Aswan High Dam and Abu Simbel. C. River Nile and Abu Simbel. 2. How much electricity does the Aswan High Dam provide for Egypt? A. Half.B. A quarter. C. Two-thirds. Listening Listen to Part A again and choose the best answers to the following questions.
- Slide 5
- 3. What was one of the most serious problems while the Aswan High Dam was being built? A. There were many temples along the River Nile. B. The government was short of money. C. The builders were lack of building skills. 4. When was Abu Simbel built? A. In the 3rd century BC. B. In the 30th century BC. C. In the 13th century BC. Listening
- Slide 6
- Listen to Part A again. Then answer the following question in pairs. Why did Abu Simbel need to be moved and rebuilt? Abu Simbel needed to be moved and rebuilt because otherwise it would have been covered by the water when the dam was completed.
- Slide 7
- Look at the following key words. Then listen to Part B and number the key words as you hear them. move the temple1,900 workers stone by stonemore than $70,000,000 worthrebuild in 1966four years Listening 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
- Slide 8
- 1. The engineers agreed to move Abu Simbel stone by stone and built it again. 2. It took 1960 workers four years to rebuild the temple. 3. Rebuilding Abu Simbel cost more than seventeen million US dollars. 4. The Aswan High Dam was completed in 1960. T F F F1,900 seventy 1966 Listening Listen to Part B again. Say which sentence is true and which one is false.
- Slide 9
- Listen to Part B again. Then answer the following question in pairs. Listening How did the engineers solve the problem of Abu Simbel? Was it successful? How do you know? They solved the problem by moving it stone by stone and rebuilding it in another site. It was very successful because many tourists come to visit the Abu Simbel in its new site.
- Slide 10
- The cost of moving Abu Simbel was more than seventy million US dollars, and it took 1,900 workers four years to rebuild the temple. Was it worth rebuilding Abu Simbel? Work in groups of four. Discuss whether you agree with this action and give your reasons. III. Discussing
- Slide 11
- The reasons listed here may help you in your discussion. Reasons to agree I think it worth rebuilding the Abu Simbel because it belongs to everybody. it helps us to understand Egyptian history. Discussing
- Slide 12
- Reasons to disagree I dont think it worth rebuilding the Abu Simbel because it belongs to the past. it is more important to build a dam to provide electricity. Discussing
- Slide 13
- Write down your point of view in the discussion and the reasons you provided. IV. Homework
View more >