Understanding Grief & Loss Emily Allaire, LMSW Grief Counselor P| 319-272-2002 email@example.com.
Post on 16-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- Understanding Grief & Loss Emily Allaire, LMSW Grief Counselor P| 319-272-2002 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Slide 2
- Our personal experiences shape our understanding What do I know about grief? What have my own experiences with grief been? What have I learned?
- Slide 3
- Grief vs Mourning Grief: Internal thoughts and feelings Mourning: Outward expression of grief
- Slide 4
- Wordens Tasks of Mourning 1) Accept the reality of the loss 2) Process the pain and grief 3) Adjust to life without the deceased 4) Maintain a connection to deceased while exploring a new life
- Slide 5
- Symptoms of grief Physical Sleep disturbance Shortness of breath Tightness in throat Physical distress Weight change Emotional Sadness Anger Guilt Anxiety Loneliness Behavioral Forgetfulness Searching for deceased Wandering aimlessly Worrying more about others, wanting to make them feel comfortable Needing to retell the story of the loved ones death Suicidal talk
- Slide 6
- Disenfranchised grief Unspeakable deaths Suicide/Homicide Sudden Pet loss AIDS
- Slide 7
- Traumatic deaths Grief is different Painful Struggle to help Struggle to understand
- Slide 8
- Calendar dates Holidays Birthdays Anniversaries Date of death Tuesday
- Slide 9
- Healing vs Curing Grief is ongoing Processing Nothing to get over Must move through Avoiding prolongs the process
- Slide 10
- What NOT to say I understand I know You will survive He/She is better off Why are you still sad? Its been a year At least you have another child How can I help? What do you need? You need counseling Get over it Have you started dating? At least youre young This will pass Everything happens for a reason
- Slide 11
- How to be supportive SAY I care Tell me about him/her Whats your favorite memory? You are in my thoughts Want to do lunch? Its ok to cry How are you doing today/right now? DO Listen Practice patience Acknowledge dates Acknowledge deceased Bring over a meal Share memories Accept no for an answer
View more >
Understanding Separation, Loss and the Grief ? Understanding Separation, Loss and the Grief Response
Grief and Loss - Trauma Academy/Grief and... Grief and Loss Defined by Grief keenmentalsufferingordistressoverafflictionor loss;sharpsorrow;painfulregret ...
Grief and Loss Resources - Dawn ? Janice Firn, LMSW Clinical Social Worker Children & Grief Childrens experience of loss and grief can differ from an adults experience. Knowing how a
Understanding Bereavement, Grief and Loss with grief... Understanding Bereavement, Grief and Loss Bereavement is a normal response to the powerful stress of loss. The loss of others through death is a universal experience ...
Grief and Loss - Butler ? Grief and Loss Steps of Grief after a Loss We go through [stages] of grief after a loss. There are many lists giving the stages of grief.
Part A: Section A.4 1 Part A: Understanding Grief and Loss in Children and Their Families Understanding Sibling Grief and Loss.
UNDERSTANDING DEATH, GRIEF MOURNING A DEATH, GRIEF MOURNING A Resource Manual. UNDERSTANDING Death, Grief Mourning ... Manifestations of Grief in Youth 19
Grief and Loss - ? page 2 of 2 Foster Parent College Grief and Loss Syllabus Understanding the Foster Childs Grief The childs abrupt removal from the home and loss of parents ...
Understanding grief - Palliative Understanding grief ... such as shock, chaos, sadness, anger, anxiety,