travels to india and china1
Post on 14-Jun-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Travels to India and China By: Whitney Vuong, Christine Le, Bogdan Ristic, Medina
2. India 3. Expansion
- In the 13 thcentury, Muslim Turks had conquered a large part of India.
- North and central India was politically united by the Turkish sultan, Muhammad, for the first time since the Gupta empire.
4. Muhammad 5. Religion
- When the Muslim Turks invaded India, they introduced Islamic culture to the people
- Many who were Buddhist in northern India had converted to Muslim.
- Even in the south, where there was a Hinduism revival, was a small minority of people who became Muslim.
6. Freedom of Travel
- Islam urged people to open their minds and horizons, and know about the wonders of God's creation.
- Islam spreads westwards to Spain, eastward to the border of China and to the middle of India, south of Abyssinia and, northward to the countries of the Turks and Slavs.
- the Islamic society was a place where long distance travel was common
7. China 8. Spread of Islam to China
- As trade from India was mostly controlled by Muslims, the Islamic culture spread to China and other parts of Asia.
- Muslim ships carried the sufis to China, which also played in important role in the spread of Islam.
- Islamic Sufi
9. Muslim Mosque in China 10. Influence of Islam
- Islamic religion had a big impact in Southeast Asia.
- In China, Islam influenced technology, arts, sciences, architecture, military, and medicine.
- Below is a Chinese Islamic scroll
11. Famous Chinese Muslim
- Zheng He (Cheng Ho) - Most famous Chinese Muslim of all time. Performed Hajj ( Pilgrimage to Mecca)
- His tomb