the true meaning of easter
Post on 11-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONIt is by God’s spirit that anybody will come to believe in His Son, Jesus Christ, as Lord and Savior. As it is written,Zechariah 4:6 So he answered and said to me:“ This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel:‘ Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’Says the LORD of hosts.However, it is our duty as Christians to proclaim the gospel. Therefore, I am reposting this presentation which I made last year to proclaim the gospel on this Easter Sunday of 2008. Happy Resurrection Sunday!
- 1.The True Meaning of Easter http:// walkthewok.wordpress.com All images are copyright their respective owners.
2. What is Easter?
- American Heritage Dictionary
- A Christian feast commemorating the Resurrection of Jesus
3. Jesus Resurrection? Great! Lets celebrate! 4. http://flickr.com/photos/montanaraven/123244943/ 5. http://flickr.com/photos/rberteig/146595244/ 6. http://flickr.com/photos/stepol/131825593/ 7. http://flickr.com/photos/thivierr/450195464/ 8. http://flickr.com/photos/zanzibar123/451800748/ 9. http://flickr.com/photos/millan/124968608/ 10. http://flickr.com/photos/tidewatermuse/444946692/ 11. http://flickr.com/photos/qousqous/129302714/ 12. Ahem
- Jesus Resurrection?
13. WHERE IS THE RELATION?!?! 14. http://flickr.com/photos/awayken/133795725/ http://flickr.com/photos/roome/129423662/ 15. http://flickr.com/photos/awayken/133795725/ http://flickr.com/photos/roome/129423662/ NO 16. http://flickr.com/photos/donnagrayson/450256645/ 17. http://flickr.com/photos/rcooper/287678713/ 18. http://flickr.com/photos/rcooper/287678713/ NO 19. http://flickr.com/photos/kevinsaff/210513856/in/photostream/ 20. JESUS??? 21. NO 22. http://flickr.com/photos/dervish/451273418/ 23. PLOP! 24. PLOP! NO 25. BUNNIES AND EGGS??? What do they have to do with Easter? 26. Origins of Easter
- Comes from Ishtar, the Mother goddess or Queen of heaven in Babylon
- Other names
- Jewish: Ashtaroth, Ashtoreth
- Greek: Astarte
- Saxons: Eastre, Eostre, Ostara
- And many more
http://flickr.com/photos/44124324682@N01/320549220/ 27. Bunnies?
- Ancient symbol of fertility
- Producing babies
- Wild: 40 per year
- Ideal: 120 per year
http://flickr.com/photos/mzwp/131148122/ / 28. Eggs?
- Represents new life
- Mystic egg of Astarte
- Gigantic egg fell from heaven
- Out popped goddess
- Corrupted version of Noahs ark?
http://home.computer.net/~cya/cy00096.html 29. How did Pagan connect to Christian?
- Roman Catholic Church
- Pasted Christian names over pagan festivals
- Tried to attract heathen worshippers
30. Should we celebrate?
- Nothing evil about painting and hunting eggs
- Whats important is
31. BIG QUESTION 32. Wheres your _____? 33. Wheres your bunny? 34. Wheres your bunny? NO 35. Wheres your egg? 36. Wheres your egg? NO 37. Wheres yourfocus ? 38. http://flickr.com/photos/slambo_42/449670627/ 39. http://flickr.com/photos/patchoulli/129874322/ 40. Worlds Largest Easter Egg
- In Vegreville, Canada
- Egg Width: 25.7 feet
- Egg Height: 18.3 feet
- Weight: 5,000 pounds
- Not laid by bird
- Not brought by a bunny
41. Wheres yourfocus ?
- Focus more on Jesus Christ
- Egg hunts are just games for fun
42. Where youshouldfocus
- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4
- 3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures
43. The Four Spiritual Laws Why Jesus had to die for You and Me http:// www.greatcom.org/english/four.htm 44. 1) Godlovesyou and hasplansfor you
- John 3:16- For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
- Jesus said in John 10:10- I have come that they may have life, and that they may haveitmore abundantly.
45. 2) Humans aresinfulandseparatedfrom God
- Romans 3:23- For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
- Romans 6:23- For the wages of sinisdeath, but the gift of Godiseternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
46. 3) Jesus Christ is Godsonlyprovision for mans sin
- John 14:6- Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
47. 4) We mustreceiveJesus Christ as our Lord and Savior
- We Must Receive Christ"As many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name" ( John 1:12 )
- We Receive Christ Through Faith "By grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast" ( Ephesians 2:8,9 ).
- We Receive Christ by Personal Invitation [Christ speaking] "Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any one hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him" ( Revelation 3:20 ).
48. He is risen! His body is no longer here! 49. Resurrection is Crucial to Christianity
- 1 Corinthians 15:17-18
- And if Christ is not risen, your faithisfutile; you are still in your sins!
50. Resurrection Rumors THEY ARE ALLFALSE 51. Rumor 1) Disciplesstolethe body
- Matthew 27:62-64
- 62 On the next day, which followed the Day of Preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees gathered together to Pilate
- 63 saying, Sir, we remember, while He was still alive, how that deceiver said, After three days I will rise.
- 64 Therefore command that the tomb be made secure until the third day, lest His disciples come by night and steal Himaway,and say to the people, He has risen from the dead. So the last deception will be worse than the first.
52. Rumor 1) Disciplesstolethe body http://flickr.com/photos/ziarci/181769757/ http://flickr.com/photos/bickley/131375480/ 53. Rumor 1) Disciplesstolethe body
- The Roman soldiers were the greatest warriors on the planet
- Professionals at killing people
- The disciples were fishermen
- Professionals at catching fish
- Cowards- Fled for their lives when Jesus was arrested
- Sealed stone
- Disciples snuck underground, attacked Roman soldiers from behind, broke seal, rolled away gigantic stone, and then took Jesus body? NO WAY!
54. Rumor 2)Wrongtomb 55. Rumor 2)Wrongtomb http://flickr.com/photos/mustardseeds/66335304/ 56. Rumor 2)Wrongtomb http://flickr.com/photos/alttext/300620358/ 57. Rumor 2)Wrongtomb http://flickr.com/photos/jungle_boy/220797443/ 58. Rumor 2)Wrongtomb
- Matthew 27:57-61
- 57 Now when evening had come, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who himself had also become a disciple of Jesus.
- 58 This man went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. Then Pilate commanded the body to be given to him.
- 59 When Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth,
- 60 and laid it in his new tomb which he had hewn out of the rock; and he rolled a large stone against the door of the tomb, and departed.
- 61 And Mary Magdalene was there, and the other Mary, sitting opposite the tomb.
59. Rumor 2)Wrongtomb
- Looked for Jesus in the wrong tomb???
- Joseph of Arimathea was member of Sanhedrin
- Group who ruled Jewish community
- He had to worship Christ at night so others in group couldnt see him
- Sanhedrin knew
- who he was
- where his tomb was
- Mary Magdalene and other women saw Jesus burial
60. Rumor 3) Jesus did not reallydie
- Beaten till face unrecognizable
- Whipped 39 times
- Cat of 9 Tails- whips with broken bones and glass shards
- Ripped off flesh on back, reality is MUCH worse than shown in Passion of Christ!
- Nails in hands and feet
- DidNOTbleed to death
- Died by suffocation (some say by traumatic shock)
- Spear stuck into side after dead- John 19:33-35
- 33 But when they came to Jesus and saw that He was already dead, they did not break His legs.
- 34 But one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and immediately blood and water came out.
- 35 And he who has seen has