The job search begins with research! Researching yourself Researching the field Researching the company
out of 44
Post on 25-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Slide 2
- Slide 3
- Slide 4
- The job search begins with research! Researching yourself Researching the field Researching the company
- Slide 5
- Traditional Printed sources Networking Career service center Employers offices Employment agencies Professional organizations Electronic Career guidance information Job listings Company web pages Rsum posting services
- Slide 6
- Develop appealing format that _________ _____________ Format for quick, ____ reading Create an appealing ______ qualifications highlightseasy output
- Slide 7
- The tale of two rsum mistakes. the template
- Slide 8
- The tale of two rsum mistakes. the extreme
- Slide 9
- Slide 10
- Layout sections in order of importance Write everything out No abbreviations or acronyms Be consistent with the format throughout each section Check the details Grammar, spelling, AND format
- Slide 11
- Provide Full Contact Information Name, address, phone number and email Use an appropriate email address
- Slide 12
- Slide 13
- Objective Seeking a position using my people skills. To obtain a challenging position with opportunity for advancement. Seeking a management trainee position allowing me to utilize my knowledge of prospecting new business, selling new accounts, and handling advanced customer objectives. Summary
- Slide 14
- Provide Full Contact Information Name, address, phone number and email Use an appropriate email address Know your degree title There is not a s at the end of Associate, Bachelor or Master
- Slide 15
- Slide 16
- Slide 17
- Provide Full Contact Information Name, address, phone number and email Use an appropriate email address Know your degree title There is not a s at the end of Associate, Bachelor or Master Write meaningful job descriptions
- Slide 18
- Slide 19
- Provide Full Contact Information Name, address, phone number and email Use an appropriate email address Know your degree title There is not a s at the end of Associate, Bachelor or Master Accurately convey the level of your skills Write meaningful job descriptions
- Slide 20
- Slide 21
- Provide Full Contact Information Name, address, phone number and email Use an appropriate email address Know your degree title There is not a s at the end of Associate, Bachelor or Master Accurately convey the level of your skills Include honors, activities, and leadership positions College to the present, not high school Write meaningful job descriptions
- Slide 22
- Slide 23
- Slide 24
- Your picture (unless they request one)*** Interests and hobbies Personal attributes (height, weight, race, religion) Negativity Flair A selfish objective Spelling mistakes and grammar errors
- Slide 25
- If you think an apostrophe was one of the 12 disciples of Jesus, you will never work for me. If you think a semicolon is a regular colon with an identity crisis, I will not hire you. If you scatter commas into a sentence with all the discrimination of a shotgun, you might make it to the foyer before we politely escort you from the building. - Kyle Wiens http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2012/07/i_wont_hire_people_who_us e_poo.html
- Slide 26
- ResumeDoctor.com fact-checked 1,000 resumes 42% contained significant errors Common lies? Reporting staying at jobs longer than they really did. Inflating job titles Saying they earned degrees when they were a couple of semesters short.
- Slide 27
- RadioShack CEO David Edmondson resigned Star-Telegram of Fort Worth, Texas, reported he had lied on his resume; claiming two college degrees when in fact he has none. Marilee Jones, dean of admissions at MIT When she was promoted to the deanship in 1997, she "did not have the courage to correct my rsum," she wrote. She had fabricated her academic degrees from Union College and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on a job application in 1979 and she had added a fabricated degree to her resume from Albany Medical College sometime after she was hired. (Wikipedia)
- Slide 28
- George OLeary Resigned from Notre Dame only five days after being hired. He claimed to have a masters degree in education and to have played college football for three years, but checks into his background showed it wasnt true. (Sports Illustrated)
- Slide 29
- Chronological Functional Chrono-functional
- Slide 30
- 1) Communication Skills (verbal and written)11) Leadership Skills 2) Honesty/Integrity12) Organizational Skills 3) Interpersonal Skills (relates well to others)13) Self-Confidence 4) Motivation/Initiative14) Friendly/Outgoing Personality 5) Strong Work Ethic15) Tactfulness 6) Teamwork Skills (works well with others)16) Well Mannered/Polite 7) Analytical Skills17) Creativity 8) Flexibility/Adaptability18) GPA (3.0 or better) 9) Computer Skills19) Entrepreneurial Skills 10) Detail Oriented20) Sense of Humor
- Slide 31
- Slide 32
- Electronic confidential Know postings are not ____________ Prepare a professional submission that ________ ____________ precisely Send rsum in requested format: ______- rsum text rsum pasted below email cover message Text rsum ASCII or RTF format that removes ___________ Attachment saved as word processing file Include _________ summary after identification section follows Inline formatting keyword instructions
- Slide 33
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) References Thank You Notes Cover Letters
- Slide 34
- Opening Paragraph: Why you are writing. State why you are writing. Name the position or type of position for which you are applying. Mention how you learned of the position. Mention the name of any referring person. Briefly describe why you are interested in this particular position.
- Slide 35
- Be straightforward, dont use flashy gimmicks: If youre looking for a top salesman who can double your sales, Im the one to call. People often tell me that Im the best manager theyve ever hired. Need a secretary who can handle pressure, solve problems, and manage details? If so, put my 10+ years experience to work in your office.
- Slide 36
- Body of the Letter: Sell yourself. Introduce yourself. Briefly describe the skills and/or experiences you possess that fit the requirements of the position. If you have related experiences, mention your qualifications and achievements. Do not repeat your resume. Mention personal qualities or special experiences and motivators.
- Slide 37
- As a ________, I have established a proven history of . My background demonstrates an ability to . As a _________, I was responsible for . During my employment with _______, I ..
- Slide 38
- Closing Paragraph: Request an interview. Directly, but politely, indicate your desire to further discuss your qualifications in an interview. Make it easy for the reader to contact you by providing your phone number(s), email, and the best time to reach you. Thank the contact person for his or her time and consideration.
- Slide 39
- I am very interested in this position and look forward to scheduling an interview. If you have any questions, please contact me at (555) 555- 5555. Thank you for your time and consideration.
- Slide 40
- Use the job description as a CHEAT sheet! Provide specific evidence of your skills Always address the letter to a person AVOID to whom it may concern Make sure the cover letter expresses your enthusiasm for the position and employer!
- Slide 41
- I demand a salary commiserate with my extensive experience. Its best for employers that I not work with people. Lets meet, so you can ooh and aah over my experience. I procrastinate, especially when the task is unpleasant. Reason for leaving last job: They insisted all employees get to work by 8:45 a.m. every morning. I couldnt work under those conditions. The company made me a scapegoat, just like my three previous employers.
- Slide 42
- Dear Ms. Roberts: Your advertisement for software engineers in the January issue of the IEEE Spectrum caught my attention. I was drawn to the ad by my strong interest in both software design and Database. I have worked with a CALMA system in developing VLSI circuits, and I also have substantial experience in the design of interactive CAD software. Because of this experience, I can make a direct and immediate contribution to your department. I have enclosed a copy of my resume, which details my qualifications and suggests how I might be of service to Database. I would like very much to meet with you to discuss your open positions for software engineers. If you wish to arrange an interview, please contact me at the above address or by telephone at (518) 271-9999. Thank you for your time and consideration.
- Slide 43
- Slide 44
View more >
Researching interculturally, researching multilingually Researching multilingually: Methodological complexities and possibilities (AHRC-funded Network
Researching Teachers, Researching Schools, Researching ... Teachers, Researching Schools, Researching Networks: A Review of the Literature Colleen McLaughlin ... and John Collier