the borderless enterprise: adapting network management to mobility, cloud, & shadow it
out of 13
Post on 18-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. The Borderless Enterprise: Adapting Network Management to Mobility, Cloud and Shadow IT August 6, 2015 Shamus McGillicuddy Senior Analyst EMA Doug Roberts Director of Products Fluke Networks Mike Pennacchi Owner Network Protocol Specialists
- 2. Todays Presenters Slide 2 Shamus McGillicuddy, Senior Analyst, EMA Shamus has more than nine years of experience in the IT industry, primarily as a journalist covering the network infrastructure market. At Enterprise Management Associates (EMA), he is the senior analyst for the network management practice. Doug Roberts, Director of Products, Fluke Networks Doug has worked in the IT industry for over 19 years in various business development, product management and innovation roles. Currently he oversees the product strategy across enterprise, cloud and service provider landscapes. Mike Pennacchi, Owner & Lead Network Analyst, Network Protocol Specialists Mike is the owner and lead network analyst for Network Protocol Specialists, LLC. He has over 16 years experience as a full time troubleshooting consultant and trainer.
- 3. Slide 3 Logistics for Todays Webinar An archived version of the event recording will be available at www.enterprisemanagement.com Log questions in the Q&A panel located on the lower right corner of your screen Questions will be addressed during the Q&A session of the event A PDF of the PowerPoint presentation will be available Questions Event recording Event presentation
- 4. The Borderless Enterprise: Adapting Network Management to Mobility, Cloud and Shadow IT August 6, 2015 Shamus McGillicuddy Senior Analyst EMA Doug Roberts Director of Products Fluke Networks Mike Pennacchi Owner Network Protocol Specialists
- 5. Agenda What is the Borderless Enterprise? Whats at Stake? Application Performance Impacts Cloud Adoption and Performance Challenges Losing Control: Shadow IT, Mobility and Beyond Whats Next? Q&A Slide 5 2015 Enterprise Management Associates, Inc.
- 6. What is the Borderless Enterprise? The Borderless Enterprise IT no longer controls 100% of infrastructure and services The cloud flipped enterprise architecture Many critical applications reside in the cloud Many cloud services accessed via the public Internet Mobility has blurred control over remote access Line of business managers and users adopt technology without IT involvement This is known as Shadow IT Cloud services, mobile devices and consumer applications require IT to: Discover these technologies Create and enforce new usage policies Optimize IT infrastructure, security controls and management tools Slide 6 2015 Enterprise Management Associates, Inc.
- 7. Whats at Stake: Application Performance Impacts Poor application performance has a negative impact on enterprises The majority of enterprises are experiencing the following adverse effects of poor application performance at least occasionally Slide 7 2015 Enterprise Management Associates, Inc. 60% 64% 67% 68% 77% 79% Brand Image Customer Loyalty Revenue SLOs/SLAs User Productivity Customer Experience Have application performance problems affected any of the following within your organization?
- 8. Cloud Adoption and Performance Challenges Cloud Adoption is real 49% of enterprises have migrated 20% to 30% of their application workloads to the public cloud Cloud adoption presents new management hurdles 42% of enterprises say performance management is harder in the cloud Only 14% say cloud performance management is easier Slide 8 2015 Enterprise Management Associates, Inc.
- 9. Cloud Adoption and Performance Challenges Slide 9 2015 Enterprise Management Associates, Inc. 21% 29% 41% 26% 22% 17% 28% Poor visibility into application performance Poor visibility into network performance Difficulty troubleshooting performance issues Lack of control over cloud workloads Lack of SLA in cloud services Finger pointing between cloud provider and internal IT None of the above Which issues have you had with managing performance in cloud environments? Cloud visibility and troubleshooting are challenging IT operations
- 10. Losing Control: Shadow IT, Mobility and Beyond Business leaders and end users are adopting technology without the IT organizations knowledge Slide 10 2015 Enterprise Management Associates, Inc. 38% 34% 30% 28% 28% 24% Mobile Devices Cloud-based storage VoIP, video and other UC Mobile apps SaaS apps PaaS How many enterprises have identified shadow IT adoption of these technologies?
- 11. Losing Control: Shadow IT, Mobility and Beyond How do IT organizations discover shadow IT? Security incidents are the most common means of discovery (38%) Other sources of information: Network monitoring (37%) Support requests (37%) Simple human interaction with business units (34%) What changes are IT organizations making for shadow IT? Increasing Internet & WAN bandwidth (48%) New security for cloud access (45%) Allowing direct Internet access from remote sites (26%) Adding site-to-site VPNs (22%) New wireless LAN security tools (44%) Expansion of wireless LAN (33%) New UC/VoIP/Video monitoring tools (27%) Slide 11 2015 Enterprise Management Associates, Inc.
- 12. Borderless Enterprise: Whats Next? What should IT do now? Talk to business leaders and align IT with business needs Optimize the WAN for the cloud Optimize the LAN for mobility and UC Monitor the network for shadow IT Adapt network security and network policies Extend performance management tools for managing the Borderless Enterprise Slide 12 2015 Enterprise Management Associates, Inc.
- 13. Q&A Please Log Questions in the Q&A Panel Slide 13 2015 Enterprise Management Associates, Inc. Learn more about the Borderless Enterprise from Fluke Networks at: www.flukenetworks.com/content/borderless-enterprise Learn more about leading IT analyst firm Enterprise Management Associates at: www.enterprisemanagement.com
View more >