Post on 05-Jan-2016
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThe Beaches. Where are the Beaches?. The Beaches are by Lake Winnipeg. Patricia Beach. Beaconia. They are at the northern tip of the St. Clements municipality. Grand Marais. Grand Beach. Balsam Bay. Sunset Beach. Lakeshore Heights. The First Settlers. - PowerPoint PPT Presentation
Where are the Beaches?The Beaches are by Lake Winnipeg.Patricia BeachBeaconiaGrand BeachGrand MaraisBalsam BaySunset BeachLakeshore HeightsThey are at the northern tip of the St. Clements municipality.
The First SettlersFirst Nations peoples were the first to live here.Why Did They Choose To Live Here?There were a lot of fish in the muddy waters. The sandy beaches made it easy to land canoes.
European ExplorersHow did it get its name?La Verendrye was the first European explorer to come here. The path he made while exploring was named the La Verendrye Trail.The Beaches are along the La Verendrye Trail.The name for the beaches came from La Vrendrye.He called the beaches Grand Marais, which means Big Marsh in French.
Immigration Who Else Came to Live Here?The next group of people that came to the beaches were the Polish, Ukrainian, and Russian families.Then Hudsons Bay Company men moved to the area with their Native wives and children and built homes. They were called the Mtis people.
How Did They Make Money?They made money by fishing and lumbering. In 1896 St. Judes Anglican Church was built.First BuildingsSt. Judes Anglican Church
Grand BeachGrand Beach became famous because of the Canadian National Railway. In 1916 a train track was made from Winnipeg to Grand Beach. They built a large Dance Pavilion along the shore.Dancing and partying went on every night.Grand Beach Dance PavilionGrand Beach Train Station
Grand BeachIn 1950 the Dance Pavilion burned down.Local Store In Grand MaraisThere was even an adult size carousel to ride on. Many people built stores to sell hotdogs, drinks, and bathing suits.
Balsam BayBalsam Bay is just south of Grand Beach. Balsam Bay Church was built in 1920 ~ its name became St. Lukes.
Balsam BayThe first schoolhouse was built in 1895.This schoolhouse burned down.The second schoolhouse burned down too.A third building was used from 1940 to 1960. After that, children were bussed to Walter Whyte Collegiate.Balsam Bay School
Patricia Beach and BeaconiaPatricia Beach and Beaconia are south of Grand Beach. They are separated by a water channel.How did Beaconia get its name?The name Beaconia came from a man named H. August Larson, a.k.a. The Little Dane. He came to Beaconia in 1910. He made money moving wood to Selkirk on his barge. He often came home at night and found it difficult to see the shore. He decided to build a beacon of light in the harbour to help him find his way home, and Beaconia became its name.
Patricia Beach and BeaconiaStony Point School was built here but by 2002 it was considered a fire hazard and was burned down.
The Beaches TodayMany tourists come to the beaches every year.Because the government wanted to protect the beaches, they made them into a provincial park.Grand Beach Provincial Park is separated into the east and west beach. There is a campground near the east beach and play structures and stores by the west beach.In the winter, visitors enjoy cross-country skiing, curling, skating, ice fishing, and snowmobiling.
The EndThis presentation brought to you by the St. Clements Heritage Advisory Committee!
preserving our communitys heritage one story at a time -
Presentation Created by Jared Laberge
Information Compiled by Donna Sutherland