the arts and humanities survival guide

Download The Arts and Humanities Survival Guide

Post on 01-Aug-2016




3 download

Embed Size (px)




  • The Arts and Humanities

    Survival Guide

  • How can we help you?Navigating Westerns resources can be overwhelmingWhats the difference between the Student Success Centre and Student Development Services? Where can I go to get a transcript? How can I get career help?

    Have no fear! This guide is designed to help you find all services and resources that you need. If you would like to talk with someone in person, please visit the Arts and Humanities Students Council office in University College, room 112F. Council is here to help you get the most out of your Western experience! Wed love to meet you.

    -Your Students Council

  • The short list Academic Counselling University College, Room 112G-Academic and course selection advice-Special permissions and letters of permission-Appeal procedures-Requests for extensions or academic accommodation

    Financial CounsellingWestern Student Services Building, Room 1100-OSAP assistance-personal budgeting-financial assistance

    International Opportunities Western Student Services Building, room 2150-information sessions start in early October-for up-to-date information, check out and click on Education Abroad-An exchange: attending a partner university and pay Western fees-Studying abroad: receive a letter of permission from Western and study at any university but pay international fees

    Student CentralWestern Student Services Building, Room 1120-Transcripts-Replacing your student card-Third party forms (scholarships, RESPs, insurance, etc)

    Student Development CentreWestern Student Services Building-Writing Support Centre -Learning Skills Services -Psychological Services

    Student Success CentreUniversity Community Centre, Room 210-Career counselling -Resum help-Leadership opportunities

  • The detailsAcademic Counselling Arts and Humanities - University College, Room 112GMonday to Friday 9:30-12:00 and 1:00-4:00

    If you need any sort of academic help, this is the place to be. One of the most common reasons why people drop by Academic Counselling is for course advice and course registration help. Maybe youre not sure which course to take, or the difference between two courses - Academic Counselling can help sort out any questions you have.

    Counselling also accommodates requests for academic accommodation, special permissions to enter courses, appeal procedure guidance, and letters of permission to attend other universities for studying abroad.

    Walk-in appointments are preferred.

    Financial CounsellingWestern Student Services Building, Room 1100 Monday-Friday 9:00-4:30

    Stressing over finances? You can make a one-on-one appointment with a Financial Aid Officer. With him or her you can discuss OSAP, create your own personal budget, or apply for other financial assistance. You can also get help finding scholarships, bursaries, and awards. Appointments can be made online by going to Student Services webpage. Click on Assistance and Aid under My Present.

    International Opportunities Western International OfficeWestern Student Services Building, room 2150Monday-Friday 8:30-4:30

    Going on an exchange or studying abroad offers a fantastic change to internationalize your degree and to experience a different culture than your own. For those who are interested in applying, information sessions start in early October. For up-to-date information session and application dates, please visit and click on Education Abroad.

    Whats the difference between an exchange and studying abroad? Going on exchange involves a student attending a partner university. Students apply to the International Exchange Program and pay Western fees. Partner universities are listed on Studying abroad involves a student independently requesting to studying at another university. Students need a Letter of Permission (which can be obtained from Academic Counselling) to study abroad. Students pay international fees but can obtain any university.

  • Student CentralWestern Student Services Building, Room 1120Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9:00-4:00Wednesday 10:00-4:00Life pro-tip: Visit Student Central as soon as it opens to avoid line-ups!

    Student Central operates under the Office of the Registrar, which also runs Financial Counselling. Student Central offers many services, including getting a transcript of your grades, replacing a lost student card (or returning one that you found), and where you can fill out third-party forms for scholarships, RESPS, insurance, etc. You can also contact them at 519-551-2100 for help with course enrollment and registration assistance. If youre ever at a complete loss at where to go when you need something, this is a great place to start.

    Student Development CentreWestern Student Services Building

    The Student Development Centre is a broad umbrella term for the many services that the Centre offers. Some of the most popular include:

    Writing Support Centre Whether youre trying to ace an essay or want to work out the mystery of the comma, you can drop in or make an appointment to improve your writing skills.

    Learning Skills Services You can make a personal appointment or attend a group session to help your academic experience. Session examples include how to write multiple choice tests, managing stress, and working on online research skills.

    Psychological ServicesWestern offers free, professional, and confidential psychological services. These services include individual counselling and crisis counselling.

    For information on how to make appointments, please visit

    Student Success CentreUniversity Community Centre, Room 210Monday-Friday 8:30-4:00

    The Student Success Centre also offers many resources, including:

    Career Counselling Want to find out what to do with your life? Talking one-to-one with a career counsellor gives you the opportunity to see new opportunities and learn how you can use your degree.

    Resum HelpIf your resum needs sprucing up, you can bring it in and have it workshopped to bring it to its fullest potential.

    Leadership OpportunitiesCheck out the Leadership and Education Program (LEP), which offers modules that help you develop leadership skills. Module examples include learning how to solve conflict with civility and learning how to enhance your public speaking skills.


View more >