tesla model x rear lighted t installation guide
out of 14
Post on 22-Jan-2018
Embed Size (px)
- 1. EVANNEX Rear Lighted T for Tesla Model X Installation Instructions The Evannex Rear Lighted T gives your Tesla Model X a distinctive look. This LED lighted device is mounted under Teslas OEM chrome T and arch on the rear of Model X. When the vehicles running lights are on, the T and arch will light red with a color and intensity that a matches the running lights. When the brakes are applied, the T and arch brighten to an intensity equal to the brake lights, reminding cars behind you that you are driving a very special vehicle. These instructions are provided for a professional installer. The installation of Lighted T is a complex project and is NOT recommended as a DIY project. Please share these instructions and the Installation Video at evannex.com with a professional installer for an estimate of installation costs.
- 2. EVANNEX REAR LIGHTED T INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS PAGE 1 Parts Provided Rear Lighted T and Arch with dual brightness drive 5 feet each of blue, yellow, and black 20 gauge stranded wire Three 20-22 gauge Posi-taps 5 Posi-Lok Connectors, 18-24 gauge 2 feet Spectra nylon parachute thread 5 spare blue/green plastic retainer clips Small tube of clear silicone sealant Template for the two small holes that have to be drilled in the lift gate under the T and arch. Tools needed: Wire cutters or scissors Wire stripper Plastic pry tool Circuit tester (available from Amazon.com) (.125) drill bit IMPORTANT NOTES: 1. Tesla sometimes changes wire colors without notice. Therefore, the suggested wire color connections in these instructions may have changed. The circuit testing tool noted above is essential for making the correct connections - it enables testing of the wires that are linked to the Lighted T and trigger the the brake and running light effects. 2. Tesla sometimes changes the location of wiring bundles without notice. If you are having trouble locating the wiring bundle referenced in these instructions for the specific vehicle youre working on, please contact a Tesla Service Center for guidance.
- 3. EVANNEX REAR LIGHTED T INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS PAGE 2 IMPORTANT: A complete installation video for the Rear Lighted T for Model X is provided at evannex.com. We strongly recommend that you view the video before attempting this installation. INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOLLOW: A. Remove liftgate and trunk trim pieces for accessibility to brake light and license plate lamp wires Remove the following liftgate and trunk trim pieces to gain access to the wiring for the license plate lamp, brake lights, and ground. Once all of the trim pieces have been removed set them aside in a safe place and keep all of the retainers and screws in a place where they will be easy to find for reuse. Replace any broken plastic clips with the clips provided with your applique. Lower liftgate trim 1. Open the liftgate. Tip: Set the liftgate to a comfortable working height. 2. Use a trim tool to release the clips that secure the lower liftgate trim. 3. Disconnect the electrical connector from the interior liftgate switch. 4. Remove the lower liftgate trim from the vehicle. 5. Remove the push clips (x4) that secure the bottom of the middle liftgate trim to the liftgate. 6. Remove the liftgate pull cup from the liftgate.
- 4. EVANNEX REAR LIGHTED T INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS PAGE 3 Upper liftgate trim 1. Use a trim tool to release the clips (x9) that secure the upper liftgate trim.
- 5. EVANNEX REAR LIGHTED T INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS PAGE 4 2. Remove the upper liftgate trim from the vehicle. Trim - Liftgate - Side - LH 1. Remove the screw that secures the top of the side liftgate trim to the liftgate (torque 2.5 Nm). 2. Remove the pushclips (x2) and screw (x1) that secure the bottom of the side liftgate trim to the liftgate.
- 6. EVANNEX REAR LIGHTED T INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS PAGE 5 3. Use a trim tool to pry against the standoffs for the trim clips (x3) to release the side liftgate trim. Caution: Prying against other locations can result in damage to the side liftgate trim. 4. Remove the side liftgate trim from the vehicle. Middle liftgate trim (the large piece)
- 7. EVANNEX REAR LIGHTED T INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS PAGE 6 1. Starting from the upper right hand side, snap out the flex clips that secure the middle liftgate trim to the liftgate. Do the same on the left side than around the piece until it releases 3. Support the middle liftgate trim and disconnect the electrical connector for the interior lamp.
- 8. EVANNEX REAR LIGHTED T INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS PAGE 7 4. Remove the middle liftgate trim from the vehicle and set aside in a safe place. B. Mount the rear lighted T 1. Raise the liftgate to a convenient working level for working on the T. 2. Using a grease pencil or chalk marker, outline the location of the T and arch. This helps with proper replacement later. 2. Take a 12 piece of parachute thread and use it to saw back and forth under the chrome T until its loose and you can remove it. Do the same for the chrome arch. Set them aside in a safe place. The residue of the black double sided tape that attached the T and arch to the lift gate will remain when the chrome pieces have been removed. Leave this on the car as is and do not attempt to clean it off. It serves as a guide for drilling the holes for the electrical connections and mounting the lighted T and arch. 3. Position the templates provided over the double sided tape residue remaining from removal of the chrome T and arch, locate and and mark the location for the two holes for the T and arch wires. You may want to temporarily tape the templates in place so
- 9. EVANNEX REAR LIGHTED T INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS PAGE 8 they dont move around while you locate and drill the two holes for the arch and T wiring. 4. With the .125 drill and bit and using light pressure very carefully drill a hole in the spots in the template slots . The residue double-sided tape will keep the drill bit from drifting. As soon as the drill penetrates the sheet metal stop drilling and back out the drill. 7. Take the T portion of the LED display and thread the red and black wire lead through the hole you just drilled. Once the wires are nearly all the way through the hole, use the tube of silicone to place a generous dab (for water proofing) on the hole. Do the same with the arch. 8. Remove the protective covering from the 3M double side tape on the back of the T portion of the LED display and carefully but lightly align it in place over the black residue double sided tape. Once you checked the alignment, press it firmly into place. Do the same with the arch, being sure to maintain good, even spacing between the top edge of the T and the bottom edge of the arch.
- 10. EVANNEX REAR LIGHTED T INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS PAGE 9 C. Make wire connections IMPORTANT NOTES: 1. Tesla sometimes changes wire colors without notice. Therefore, the suggested wire color connections in these instructions may have changed. Use the circuit testing tool to make the correct wire connectionsit enables testing of the wires that are linked to the Lighted T and that trigger the the brake and running light effects. 2. Tesla sometimes changes the location of wiring bundles without notice. If you are having trouble locating the wiring bundle referenced in these instructions for the specific vehicle youre working on, please contact a Tesla Service Center for guidance. T and Arch Locate the black and red leads for the T and arch on the underside of the lift gate. Strip about 1/2 inch of the insulation off the ends. Twist together the 2 red wires and do the same with black wires. Attach a Posi-Lok Connector on the ends of both the red and black wires. Then take the red and black leads on one end of the dual brightness driver and attach them to the open ends of the Posi-Lok Connector attached to the red and black leads from the T & Arch. Leave the yellow, blue,and white wires from the dual brightness driver alone they will be connected in the steps below. If additional lengths of wire are needed to make these connections, use the wire provided in the kit and the Posi-Lock Connectors. Refer to the Installation video at evannex.com if you need further guidance for this operation. Brakes (brown wire leading to yellow wire on dual brightness driver) At the upper left top of liftgate hatch youll find two bundles of black wrapped wire. You want the larger looped bundle (this connects to the spoiler brake light). Carefully cut open the wrapping so you can access the two wires in the bundle. Find the the brown wire in the bundle, connect a Positap to it, attach the yellow 18 awg wire to the other end, connect it to ground with the circuit tester, then have an assistant push the brake pedal to check the connection. Run the wire down the left hand side of the lift gate and tape it into place along the side of the clip standoffs on the lift gate (this keeps the wire from interfering with reinstallation of the left hand side liftgate trim). Refer to the Installation video at evannex.com if you need further guidance for this operation.
- 11. EVANNEX REAR LIGHTED T INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS PAGE 10 Running lights (headlights on) - (blue wire leading to blue wire on dual brightness drive). Look on the underside of the liftgate. Youll find a bundle of wire that runs along the bottom side near the ground connection, as shown below. Carefully slice open the bundle sheathing and find the blue wire. Attach a Posi-tap to this wire, and attach the blue 18 awg wire to the other end. Using your tester connect one end to the blue wire and the other end to ground, then the turn on the cars headlamps. Your tester should indicate a successful connection.
- 12. EVANNEX REAR LIGHTED T INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS PAGE 11 Ground (black wire leading to white wire on dual brightness drive) On the underside
View more >