teaching struggling students in primary maths
out of 36
Post on 19-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONDo students struggle with maths? Or do they struggle with our teaching methods? This SlideShare contains some topics from a new module just released by The Association of Independent Schools of NSW.
- Teaching Struggling Students in Primary Maths
- Do students struggle with maths?
- or with our teaching methods?
- The way children relate to maths is impacted by their notion of success.
- How do YOU define success in mathematics?
- How do YOUR STUDENTS define it?
- For example, a helpful definition can be derived from theWorking Mathematically outcomes and the research they are based on.
- This research outlines five strands of mathematical proficiency. Conceptual understanding Procedural fluency Strategic competence Adaptive reasoning Productive disposition
- And thats just one helpful way to define success.
- On the other hand, an unhelpful definition can sever a students relationship with the subject. unhelpful
- You know those moments when they struggle?
- when thoughts of failure loom?
- when their relationship with maths is most fragile?
- Those are the moments when they need a helpful notion of success.
- A notion that doesnt undermine their effort, but rewards it.
- A notion that promotes ...
- An Inquiry Relationship
- Do you mean inquiry based learning?
- Nor is it just another vague idea (like enjoying maths or being engaged).
- An inquiry relationship is characterised by: Confidence Intuition Curiosity
- My co-worker has an inquiry relationship with theWorld Cup.
- My sister has an inquiry relationship with cooking.
- What are YOUR inquiry relationships? (Confidence, intuition, curiosity)
- And how do we encourage them in OUR STUDENTS?
- Join us
- Weve just started a new online course. Its different.
- Its a learning community led by KristenTripet.
- Together we discuss and explore this topic (and others).
- The course is packed with the latest research.
- We also tease apart mathematical fundamentals
- so that we can teach them more clearly.
- We support each other as we build our own inquiry relationships with maths
- so we can help our students build them too.
- Click here to join us.
View more >
Inspire Maths is a transformational, whole-school primary ... ?· whole-school primary maths programme…
Using Bernstein to analyse primary maths teachers ... ?· Using Bernstein to analyse primary maths ...…
Welcome! UPPER PRIMARY MATHS - ?· welcome! upper primary maths trainer: mr. mohamad idris asmuri wellington…
Primary maths whole school plan – White Rose Maths Hub of resources by maths topic can be found here: ... The Trinity Teaching School Alliance). A whole school plan for primary maths from the White Rose Maths Hub
PRIMARY MATHS SERIES SCHEME OF WORK – YEAR 4 ?· 2017 MATHS – NO PROBLEM! ALL RIGHTS RESERVED PRIMARY…
PRIMARY MATHS SERIES SCHEME OF WORK – YEAR ?· PRIMARY MATHS SERIES SCHEME OF WORK ... including assessment…