Structured Data Primer -- Web 3.0 & Semantic Search
Post on 11-Aug-2014
DESCRIPTIONYou've heard all the terms - Hummingbird, Structured Data, Semantic Search, Big Data, Rich Snippets, Knowledge Graph and more. This session will examine the new foundation for SEO best practices as search moves to data-based results. Google has Hummingbird and Knowledge Graph; Bing has Snapshots. Find out how you can stay ahead and make the most out of semantic search using markup approaches such as Schema.org. We'll present a real world case study; showing how the integration of Structured Data helped NexTraq achieve page one rankings for an elusive, high demand keyword. You will walk away from this session with the following: How to implement Schema.org with Google Webmaster Tools How to communicate with your Developers to get them to hardcode your website Determine the right Structured Data to get started with for your website Proof that it works (a real world review with NexTraq)
- @twitterhandle #SESATL The Emergence of Web 3.0 Leveraging Structured Data in a New World of SEO & Search @PersuasiveData Aaron Abbott SEO and Analytics Manager Prominent Placement @PersuasiveData @ProminentPlcmnt Wyn Partington VP of Marketing NexTraq @WPinAtlanta
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Web 3.0 The Semantic Web Web 2.0 Web 1.0 User- Generated Content Social Influence & Consumer Voice Computers Understanding & Leveraging Data Predicting Consumer Needs Web 2.0 Web 1.0 Connecting Data Sources Business, Schools, Government & People Sharing Information Web 3.0 @PersuasiveData This is the era of the Internet where programmed computer applications can understand what content is, both contextually & subjectively; and what it does for the person searching, accessing, or sharing this content. The semantic meaning, the purpose/intent behind a piece of content can be indexed and served.
- @twitterhandle #SESATL The Need for Hummingbird @PersuasiveData Google changed their engines transmissionallowing the right content to rank higher! Rolled out at the same time as 100% (not provided). Lets call this the algorithm update that focuses on processing the human language (synonyms). Leverages the increasing voice-based and image-based searches on mobile devices. Getting out of the Caffeine sandbox and away from content that was optimized for single keywords. Looking for the content that contained these longer search phrases and solves the need of the inferred search intent. Not necessarily dependent on Structured Data; but everything helps!
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Structured Data in Human Terms @PersuasiveData Structured data is the unified foundation that gives website owners and content developers the ability to tell computers (search engines, social networks, mobile applications, and future technologies not yet conceived) What the content is, in relation to its physical purpose. A video is a video that can be watched. What the content means to the end user. I need to watch a video to learn something. The labeling properties used with Structured Data allow search engines to essentially distribute parts of the whole to the end user a mechanism for their evolution into a knowledge based experience that responds to your anticipated needs, determined by learned behaviors.
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Unstructured Data: The Internets Dirty Laundry @PersuasiveData Laundry is not just rinse and wash. Its also fold and put away. Dont just build your site and your content. Fold it and put it away for the Web.
- @twitterhandle #SESATL What are Rich Snippets? @PersuasiveData An invaluable & free improvement to your search results, just for using Structured Data.
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Googles Knowledge Graph & Bings Snapshot @PersuasiveData Giving you all the information you need, so you dont have to keep looking
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Freebase & Knowledge Graph (like Bings Satori) @PersuasiveData Allows us to move from an information engine, into a knowledge engine Johanna Wright, Knowledge Graphs Product Management Director
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Update Your Freebase Entities @PersuasiveData Its simple to sign up; just use your Google Account. This pulls from all over the Web, then you get to refine most of it... Sign in to freebase.com Search for your Topic, Brand, Song, etc Edit or Create Data as Needed
- @twitterhandle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v Structured Data Connects the Big Data Dots @PersuasiveData Website Owners & Digital Marketing Solutions Health, Sciences, Research & Government Future Technologies, Products, Applications & Services
- @twitterhandle #SESATL The Fat Boys Conundrum Think Google now @PersuasiveData Did you mean BBQ or Music? When I have Structured Data, I can predict your anticipated need and find you the solution! If you are sitting at home and its 1:30 AM on Friday, I can assume you want some music. If you are driving around at 5:30 PM and youre just three miles away from Fat Boys BBQ, I can fetch the address and the launch your navigation from a single voice-based search for Fat Boys.
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Structured Data for Fat Boys BBQ (Restaurants) @PersuasiveData Ratings Restaurant Location Phone Number Hours Type of Food Served Prices Name
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Structured Data for The Fat Boys (Music Groups) @PersuasiveData Music Video Music Group Music Video Description Song by the Group Song Name The Album Name of Group Link to Song Duration of Song Total Plays Link to Purchase Link to Play Song Name of Video Thumbnail Image Video Length
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Structured Data Code Explained @PersuasiveData Structured Data is born from microdata, a set of tags introduced with HTML5. Itemscope specifies that the HTML content contained in this section (, ,
,, etc.) is about a particular item and everything in this section relates to the Itemtype. Itemtype then specifies the type. This is why it follows the Itemscope immediately. Itemprop represents a label for a particular attribute of the type of content. Itemref can help pull attribution from another HTML section by referencing the CSS ID. can always be utilized to add additional required Itemprop labels. Think Nesting! The same Itemprops can live in different Itemtypes. For example, the logo Itemprop can live within Brand and Organization Itemtypes. The example above identifies the preferred logo for the NexTraq organization. This will help ensure that the right logo is accessed, indexed, and shared.
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Determining Structured Data Types @PersuasiveData You can start with the recommendations of the Structured Data Markup Helper and then move into the full list of data types at http://schema.org/docs/documents.html. IMPORTANT: YOU CAN DEFINE NEW DATA WITH THE EXTENSION MECHANISM! These are of great value for each and every B2B and B2C business: Organization Information Brand Identity Logos Web Page Elements Blog Posts Videos Case Studies Whitepapers Original Reviews sameAs
- @twitterhandle #SESATL And Dont Forget Your Emails! @PersuasiveData Adding Structured Data to your emails helps your email client create an interactive email experience, based on your immediate needs. Is this a peak into Web 4.0, a Behavioral Web?
- @twitterhandle #SESATL A Structured Data Integration Workflow @PersuasiveData gets you started with < Manually Structuring Your Data /> The Structured Data Markup helper will help you master the art of marking up your content. The Helper is limited by available Types and Labels use it as a starting point! You can use the schema.org vocabulary along with the Microdata, RDFa, or JSON-LD formats to add information to your HTML content. http://schema.org/docs/gs.html Start by choosing the Itemtype. Then add the URL or use your HTML.
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Setting the Labels for your Content @PersuasiveData Select Content Choose Appropriate Label Information Gets Added Here Click Here When Done If you dont have all the information you need to markup an Itemtype, scroll My Data Items down to Add missing tags
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Preview Your Code & Download the HTML @PersuasiveData
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Add the Markup to Your Page & Test @PersuasiveData You can test with a URL, on a staging server or a live version. You may also paste in your HTML by switching to HTML.
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Passing the Test @PersuasiveData * Red error messages will display when something is incorrect.
- @twitterhandle #SESATL NexTraqs Need for Page 1 Rankings Fleet Tracking @PersuasiveData
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Leveraging Case Studies on Fleet Tracking Page @PersuasiveData Added Fleet Tracking case study to the page. Created jQuery-based show/hide function that contains on-page version of the Case Study for immediate access. Created an image thumbnail for the case study. Added Structured Data to each of these new page elements.
- @twitterhandle #SESATL We Leveraged Our Videos Too! @PersuasiveData Added Fleet Tracking video to the page. Created the same accordion function to allow access to the transcript. Created an image thumbnail for the video. Added Structured Data to each of these new page elements.
- @twitterhandle #SESATL NexTraq Code Integration Sample We updated the content and assets per the direction of PPI. PPI authored the Structured Data which they then delivered in the format of a Word Document, with all added code highlighted yellow. Our developers added the code to templates that drive our site, as well as manually added it to various editable content areas. Once the Structured Data was manually added to the pages, PPI then tested the live versions, while monitoring Webmaster Tools for any error reports. We submitted a re-index request via Webmaster Tools. @PersuasiveData
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Integration Timeline & 20 Fleet Tracking Keyword Rankings Google Rankings between July 2013 and July 2014 @PersuasiveData Content restructured for user experience and to leverage structured data. Structured Data added to solutions pages and other content areas. Fleet Tracking Solutions page jumped to page 1 SERPs with the Home page. July 2013 October 2013 November 2013 January 2014 Panda 4 May 2014 July 2014 We survived the Panda 4 Update!
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Incognito Observations @PersuasiveData Noticeable rankings increases for all fleet tracking terms within weeks of Structured Data integration. When Panda 4 hit, two different pages began ranking on page one. The solutions page moved ahead of the home page. This does change but has been pretty consistent since mid-May. The higher ranking competitors see the same two page ranking scenario, however we were firstand none were using schema.org Structured Data either at the time this presentation was created.
- @twitterhandle #SESATL The following are some pointers that weve learned through our process. Determine what content on your site can be marked up properly, while paying attention to the necessary labels required for complete markup in a data type. Nest your content types within related HTML sections. Think nesting dolls Do not apply any CSS styles to your elements. Reserve tags so they can be used to wrap content that needs the Structured Data markup. If you need to use to inject Structured Data, make sure it lives in the right HTML section that you defined with Itemscope. Dont be afraid to use new naming conventions for new or unattributed data types. Choose your integration method, and stick with it! After you add and test your structured data, submit your site for re-indexing via Google and Bing Webmaster Tools. Dont just fetch, make sure you click Submit to Index and have it re-index all directly linked URLs. Structured Data Integration Tips @PersuasiveData
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Thank You! Any Questions? Tweet any of your future questions to @PersuasiveData You can also visit prominentplacement.com/structured-data-primer and fill out our contact form if you would like feedback on any part of this presentation. Just mention that this is a question for Aaron Abbott. @PersuasiveData @ProminentPlcmnt @NexTraq