strata santa clara 2014 | open data: it's not just for governments
out of 40
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONAt Strata Santa Clara 2014, Jen van der Meer of Luminary Labs looks at examples from startups to Fortune 500s and successful public-private partnerships, demonstrating that the movement for open data is moving beyond just government to the realm of business.
- LUMINARY LABS @JENVANDERMEER @LUMINARYLABS OPEN DATA: ITS NOT JUST FOR GOVERNMENTS Special Valentines Week Edition Jen van der Meer STRATA SANTA CLARA 2014 MAKING DATA WORK | DATA DRIVEN BUSINESS DAY
- 2 Jen van der Meer @JENVANDERMEER
- GOVS OPEN DATA @JENVANDERMEER BE MINE
- FIRST CAME THIS
- THEN THIS
- THEN THIS
- AND THIS
- THEN THESE DOTS
- IT ISNT STRATA UNTIL SOMEONE SHOWS YOU THE BABBAGE ENGINE THEN THIS!
- LATER, THIS:
- WHICH MADE THIS POSSIBLE
- AND LETS NOT FORGET WHAT A BIG DEAL THIS WAS
- Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants. President Barack Obama, quoting Louis Brandeis, on signing the Freedom of Information Act memo to make open and machine readable the default setting for government.
- THEN, FIRST TO THE PARTY, NOW BACK AGAIN
- WE DO NOT CLOSED DATA @JENVANDERMEER
- SUPPLY SIDE OF OPEN DATA DEMAND SIDE OF OPEN DATA And back again
- SUPPLY SIDE OF OPEN DATA: GPS
- DEMAND SIDE: FLU
- DEMAND SIDE: RATS
- DEMAND SIDE: YELP
- OPEN DATA HAS ECONOMIC, NOT JUST SOCIETAL BENEFITS Making data more liquid (open, widely available, and in sharable formats) has the potential to unlock large amounts of economic value, by improving the efficiency and effectiveness of existing processes; making possible new products, services and markets; and creating value for individual consumers and citizens. An estimated $3 trillion in annual economic potential. McKinsey Global Institute Open Data 2013
- DEMAND SIDE OF OPEN DATA: INSURANCE
- 23 OPEN DATA IS A POSITIVE EXTERNALITY CLOSED DATA IS A NEGATIVE EXTERNALITY
- BUT CLOSED DATA IS SOMETHING TO GET MAD ABOUT Slower science Fewer medical breakthroughs More money chasing programs that do not work, but we do not know it yet Continued failure for all of us to understand the negative consequences that one actor incurs that we all pay
- ASK NOT WHAT OPEN DATA CAN DO FOR YOU
- Joel Gurin, NYUGovLab : Open Data Now OPEN DATA: ITS FOR BUSINESS TOO
- OPEN DATA 500 NYUGOVLAB
- ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR OPEN DATA
- SHOW THE : A CALL TO PUBLIC SOURCE @JENVANDERMEER
- Closed Accessible, Interoperable, Liquid Open Available to some At cost Not sharable Available to all For free Unlimited use Available to some Maybe free Sometimes sharable PUBLIC SOURCE: ITS JUST BETTER
- DOES IT HAVE TO BE .ORG?
- WILL .EDU BE THE KEEPER OF PRIVATE SECTOR OPEN DATA? Yale University Open Data Access (YODA) Project: With J&J, Medtronic
- WILL THE NEW BREED OF OPEN STARTUPS SHOW THE WAY? University Open Data Access (YODA) Project: With J&J, Medtronic, MicrosoftDISCLOSURE: Luminary Labs Ventures is an angel investor in Iodine
- WILL PUBLIC PRIVATE PARNTERSHIPS REIGN? Drug Companies Join NIH in Study of Alzheimer's, Diabetes, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, taking a page from the Open Source Movement
- OR WILL APPLE SAVE US FROM OURSELVES? Drug Companies Join NIH in Study of Alzheimer's, Diabetes, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, taking a page from the Open Source Movement WILL APPLE TEMPT US WITH PERSUASIVE BUT CLOSED DATAVIZ?
- To to my mind, the big question is not what Healthbook will look like but whether Apple will make it easy to get our data out of it. If they do, this will be a massive game changer for the quantified self, health, and wellness markets. Fred Wilson, AVC.com
- WHEN WE FINALLY HAVE OPEN DATA, WILL WE SEE EVERYTHING INTERCONNECTED?
- He had shown her all the workings of his soul, mistaking this for love. = EM Forster, The Longest Journey
- WHAT TO DO @JENVANDERMEER | @LuminaryLabs | @HDChallenges 1 2 3 Civically hack Start an open data company HealthDataChallenges.com Publicly source
View more >