statistical storytelling with infographics - oecd. . storytelling with infographics...
Post on 20-Aug-2018
Embed Size (px)
Pascal Ramaekers, Statistics Netherlands
Statistical Storytelling with Infographics
Aguascalientes, Mexico December 4th, 2013
New challenges for statistical agencies
Responses by statistical agencies
New expectations.... ...ask for new statistical output...
...also because around 90% of the information to the brain is visual!
In this presentation: static infographics for publication
Four core elements >>>
Example: Dutch exports to the EU, publication Statistics Netherlands
Dutch exports to new EU-members grew fast...
...especially to Poland and Czech Republic...
Economy size and distance explain EU-orientation Dutch exports...
...but non-EU-countries are becoming more and more important...
...which is in line with higher economic growth outside than inside EU...
...nevertheless, the Netherlands are still very EU-oriented...
... and the EU also creates most export profits for the Netherlands.
Total exports contribute 31,5% to Dutch GDP.
To consider, when planning to tell a statistical story with infographics...
1. Reliable data and a well-chosen story are most essential, but
dont underestimate the importance of attractive design!
2. Answer one (in society relevant) core question
3. Tell all sides of the story, but dont make it too long!
4. Make it personal, use metaphors
5. Accept its a time-consuming process as it is very difficult to
make complex data very accessible!
6. Accept the trade-off between perfection and accessibility
7. Do it, its definitely worthwhile!