Post on 02-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
StarfishAlyssa Guerrero * Period 3 What is a Starfish?* A starfish or a sea star is an invertebrate animal that lives in the ocean. They are echinoderms that belongs to the class of Asteroidea.
Where do Starfish Live?* Sea stars are mostly found in tropical and temperate oceans around the world.
* They live in a variety of habitats from the intertidal zone to the bottom of the deep seas, but they mostly live in shallow marine environments.What Do Starfish Eat?* Sea stars are carnivores.
*They mostly feed on other invertebrates such as coral, shellfish, clams, and oysters
*They also eat fish and other animals.
*To catch prey they use their tiny suction cupped tubed feet
*Their stomachs then come out of their mouth and the stomach covers the prey to digest it.
Parts of a StarfishRegeneration and Reproduction* Sea stars have the ability to regenerate or re-grow their limbs after they have been removed.
* Their removed limbs can also form into a new starfish on its own.
*This is a form of asexual reproduction.
* Sea stars have the ability to reproduce sexually or asexually.
Starfish Predators* The starfish is preyed upon by many animals.
* Some common predators are: fish, crabs, sharks, humans, and birds.
Star Fish Fun Facts*Sea stars can change their gender if they need or want to.
* Sea stars dont need brains and they dont have blood.
*Starfish or sea stars are not fish.
* Sea stars have eyes.
* They can live up to 35 years.
QuestionsAre sea stars carnivores?
2. Do sea stars have brains?