Social media to support teaching and learning
out of 12
Post on 02-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONSocial media is the mean of social interaction through different techniques and ways. It is the best way of communication between people because everyone has the right and freedom to speak and share anything. Social media includes face book, twitter, my space etc. In simple words it can be said as the network of social sites where people can share their views or anything they want to. Social media includes social networking websites, blogs, video and photo sharing sites like you tube and flicker, user reviews for instance Amazon.com and many more such websites. It creates an environment in which everyone can contribute in the communication it is the best way of exchanging information among people. It creates a virtual framework which enables the people to setup a forum or platform to share information of common interest. . It is available for the whole public and not restricted to few people. It is accessible by the whole public and targets the interest of whole world i.e. every field is touched. Its a decentralized platform and multi topics are discussed in it. There is even no hierarchy in it. Its not like the industrial media in which once information has been broad casted cannot be changed. In social media any information can be changed and altered at any time and by anyone with even little knowledge. As anyone can edit this information so its not that much authenticated and reliable information as you can get from some industrial media.
- 1. 1 Contents: Introduction.. 2 Literature Review. 9 Critical Evaluation.. 11 Conclusion... 11 References 12
- 2. 2 Introduction: Social media is the mean of social interaction through different techniques and ways. It is the best way of communication between people because everyone has the right and freedom to speak and share anything. Social media includes face book, twitter, my space etc. In simple words it can be said as the network of social sites where people can share their views or anything they want to. Social media includes social networking websites, blogs, video and photo sharing sites like you tube and flicker, user reviews for instance Amazon.com and many more such websites. It creates an environment in which everyone can contribute in the communication it is the best way of exchanging information among people. It creates a virtual framework which enables the people to setup a forum or platform to share information of common interest. . It is available for the whole public and not restricted to few people. It is accessible by the whole public and targets the interest of whole world i.e. every field is touched. Its a decentralized platform and multi topics are discussed in it. There is even no hierarchy in it. Its not like the industrial media in which once information has been broad casted cannot be changed. In social media any information can be changed and altered at any time and by anyone with even little knowledge. As anyone can edit this information so its not that much authenticated and reliable information as you can get from some industrial media. Social media can be seen as a good source of teaching and learning as well. Exchange of information is like absorbing and releasing information. It is also good for companies to talk to people through social media to keep in touch with them and know their views to run their business in a more good way. Social media is helpful and useful in many ways like you can get vast information on a single topic through different people, views of people about any topic, talk or debate on any current issue. It generates the interest and knowledge of people about various things. Some people consider social media as a part of their daily life. They take it so beneficial for them whilst some people take or use social media for bad and negative works like propaganda about something or talk about the nasty things. Well it depends on every individual that for what purpose it uses the social media. But no doubt its positive aspects and uses. Social media can be used as a good source of interacting material and exchanging information about different stuff.
- 3. 3 After a brief introduction on social media it is now very important to know and answer the question that why social media is need to use for teaching and learning? The answer of this question is very vast because the social media is becoming very popular at this time. It provides an entirely new layout for teaching and learning. There are a number of websites, blogs and pages which are connecting people socially. So it is a very effective medium for teaching and learning these days and it is also becoming popular for this purpose. There are more than 69% of people who use social networking web sites. So if they use these sites for the purpose of teaching and or for learning then is very good. It is also very effective way to teach students of age between six to ten years. Because it has many advantages that are they can learn their work, they can also learn how to use these social media in an effective way. The social media is also needed because from it you can easily interview students for online scholarships. These sites can also give students effective learning related jobs like you can write online articles and post your blogs on this site and get money. Old-style school, college or university classes are now moving towards a new aspect which is known as social media which is very help full in teaching and learning. Web sites such as Facebook twitter etc. are considered to be the best and useful social media for teaching and learning. These websites are connecting students and teachers to study and learn in an exciting way. There are a number of different methods to make your class room a social media class room. The best way to teach students literature is to involve students in some kind of literature activity like you can give students to make a page or blog of their favorite literature author on any social media site. It is also advisable for students to follow any known personality as well as their teachers on social media website. The social networking web sites like Skype can be used to connect two class rooms no problem where they are situated in the world. Students can use the social media site to help them in many ways as they can learn whatever they want to anywhere sitting in the world. You can attend lectures on these web sites. You can also
- 4. 4 attend online tutorials on any desired topics you want to. You can also take help from people using these sites for your projects or assignments or even on your thesis topic. You can even learn any foreign language by using social media sites which is actually very easy because you can add any foreign person on Facebook or twitter and ask him to teach you his native language. All you have to do is to make an effort to learn. For a teacher it doesnt matter you teach a on which level it is very simple to make use of social media for you class room. Like it is a duty of a teacher if he or she answer every question of his her student at any time so it is good that by using social media site they always remain available for answering their students. Post your lectures and all additional notes for your students on Facebook Skype or twitter for those students who missed the class. There is an excellent web site available which is specially designed for social media to use as a class room the name of this web site is Social Media Class room. This site has social media tools to support teaching and learning. The web site was established by Howard Rheingold, a well- known writer and critic on the cultural, social and political implications of modern communication media. His inspiring book, The Virtual Community (1993), was on his experience on the WELL, was published well before modern technologies like Facebook, MySpace, or the Web itself had anyone else talking about online communities and positioned him as a leading expert in the emerging space. Social media is facing great problems now days as it is not owned by few people any one can contribute into it and that are why the profits and revenues of the participants are decreasing day by day. People are contributing in this area a lot and creating problems for the people who have their earnings associated with them. Secondly it cuts the margin profit of the people because people take no minutes to copy and paste others views in their terms and increase their work material on the work and effort of others. It at the same time creates another problem that is transfer and propagation of false or incorrect information. People with little or false data add up their information in such media and it is easily then accepted by most of the people who have almost no knowledge. It even decreases the standard of the knowledge. Cultural aspects also cause the problems
- 5. 5 Because as in social media people from different countries and areas participate so everyone has different views and approach so it sometimes causes problems and to handle that is also a challenge. As social media is a good source of teaching and learning but at the same time it can be used for bad purposes such as people talk about the nasty stuff or propagate the false information. So to pass correct information and search for the truth is a great challenge for the social media. The other problem that social media is facing is the work load management of sites. Like millions of people are using face book, twitter etc so to manage all those people profiles and their activities is a great challenge. To provide storage capacity for their social stuff like pictures and videos etc. and good internet speed is the biggest challenge and their need is increasing day by day so to meet their customers demands they need to work a lot. As technology is getting better day by day so to update their performance and to compete with their rivals is a big problem to confront for the social media. Every site needs to be enhanced and upgrade its functions so to earn the maximum returns. For instance if you upload such a thing on you tube which gets maximum hit by the users that would generate maximum earning. So to upload a different and unique thing social media has to really work hard. To compete with the competitors is the main agenda of social media. In short social media has diversified problems and to tackle all that is the necessity of their work and is a challenge as well. Today many people believe that social media or technology is proved beneficial for the teaching and learning. According to some teachers students can learn a lot of things in a short time and can solve their key problems using social media, this social media can be in the form of Facebook and twitter. Obviously these forums have the both best and worst consequences on youth. But some people think that all mediums of social media like Facebook, twitter have only horrible impact on youth and these sites waste their time, potential of doing something, destroy their individuality and personality a
View more >
The Teaching Learning Exchange - Step Up For Learning Exchange The The Teaching Learning Exchange The Teaching and Learning Exchange (TLE) is a free web-based application designed to support teaching, learning, communication and accountability for
A Model for Faculty Technology Support The Teaching & Learning Digital Studio John Niedzielski Teaching & Learning Multimedia Specialist Calvin Information
Guiding Principles to Support Effective Teaching and ... ?· Effective Teaching and Learning: Assessment…
Teaching, Learning, and Technology J. Ritchie Boyd Teaching, Learning & Technology Support Specialist Office of the Provost Instructional Technology Project
Learning Support: An Introduction for Newly Appointed ... to Learning Support...physical,’sensory,’mental ... Chief%Inspector’s%Report% ... outof‘class’ teaching’ support by’ the’ learning‘ support/resource’teacher”. 31