say no, like a boss! oscon
out of 64
Post on 18-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Say No, Like a Boss! Deb Nicholson - OSCON July 22nd 2015
- 2. The boss of YOU
- 3. Work Awesomeness
- 4. Receipts
- 5. Burnout is Bad
- 6. Tired all the time
- 7. Grumpy and impatient
- 8. I totally got this.
- 9. Orienteering
- 10. Hey, are you still playing the drums?
- 11. No time for drums
- 12. Work is stressful
- 13. Work is stressful Co-workers not nice
- 14. Employer is kind of evil Work is stressful Co-workers not nice
- 15. Employer is kind of evil Work is stressful Co-workers not niceCan't take vacation
- 16. Where do you want to go?
- 17. Are you waving in the rotary?
- 18. How have others gotten there?
- 19. You may have to go somewhere else
- 20. What exactly do you need to start saying no to?
- 21. Too much work
- 22. Poorly defined work
- 23. 1. Start with the best part
- 24. 2. Let's talk details soon
- 25. 3. How much time should I spend on this?
- 26. Work you don't want to do
- 27. Is it cost-effective?
- 28. Can you automate or outsource it?
- 29. Could you oversee it instead?
- 30. Verbal Self-defense
- 31. That's what I expected from someone like you.
- 32. That's what I expected from someone like you.
- 33. When did you start having these thoughts about people like me?
- 34. Everyone knows that you've been struggling
- 35. Everyone knows that you've been struggling
- 36. It's really nice to know that everyone has been thinking about me
- 37. Everyone says this is the way to do websites
- 38. Everyone says this is the way to do websites
- 39. It's definitely a popular way to do websites
- 40. No one thinks that particular new technology really works
- 41. No one thinks that particular new technology really works
- 42. That's an idea that I've heard a lot lately too.
- 43. How to say no to clients gracefully
- 44. Don't pretend
- 45. Solid network of referrals
- 46. Recap
- 47. Put today's work into a larger context
- 48. Suggest an appealing alternative
- 49. Stay in computer mode
- 50. No.
- 51. ...and I have a better idea.
- 52. Picture Credits CC.BY on Flickr Water Drop by Koshy Koshy (filtered) Railroad Crossing by upsidedown sphere Pie by Benny Mazur Cat in Chaise Lounge by Windell Oskay Wind Power by Hakan Dahlstrohm Coffee and Donuts by Kenny Louie Wave (with water bottles) by Robert S. Donovan Berry Hard Work by JD Hancock Udo Vader by Juhan Sonin Forex Money by Espos.de Yellow Spring by Berit Watkin CC.BY.SA Really Fat Happy Cat by Connie Ma (Flickr) Whedon/Fillion by Rob Wynne (Flickr) Eurasian Magpie by Jean Jacques Boujot (Wikipedia) Too Many Pigeons by Ben Frantz Dale (Wikipedia) Fair Use Animal from The Muppets (Disney), Keep Calm and Do Your Research, John Stewart, Tina Fey, Elsa from Frozen (Disney), Grumpy Cat with L'il Bub, Grumpy Cat in Nature
- 53. Awesome!
- 54. Thanks! email@example.com
View more >