sacred forests, sacred sites &
out of 21
Post on 21-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONPresentation at the Wageningen Forestry Students\' Association, 29 March 2006
- 1. Sacred Forests, Sacred Sites Cathrien de Pater 1 WSBV Sylvatica, Wageningen, 29 March 2006 1 M.Sc. Forestry Wageningen University Student M.A. Spirituality, Radboud University Nijmegen Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality (Ede)
- 2. Contents
- What & why Sacred?
- Where? (India, Nepal, Netherlands)
- Management of Sacred Sites
- 3. What & Why?
- What is a site/place?
- What is sacred?
- Why do people visit sacred sites/forests?
- 4. What places?
- Forests, parks, trees
- Rocks, hills, mountains
- Water: rivers, lakes, sea, islands
- Lines! Songlines!
- Graveyards, tombs
- Shrines, temples, mosques, churches
- Remote / isolated high pressure deprivation & social erosion
- 16. Management of Sacred Sites 1
- Sacred Groves in Morocco
- (Culmsee, 2006):
- This outstanding floristic diversity is related to a relatively constant and moderate level of human impact
- 17. Management of Sacred Sites 2
- Nepal, Andrew W. Ingles (1997):
- Religious forests are not sacrosanct
- 18. Management of Sacred Sites 3
- Canada: National Aboriginal Forest Association (NAFA): Aboriginal Criterion with Indicators for Sustainable Forest Management (March 2005)
- 19. Canada 2: Lewis (2005) Cheam First Nation, B.C.: respectful land USE (not static total preservation)!
- 20. Canada: RPF discussion 1
- Spiritual Forest Values:
- are intangible & difficult to measure
- are subjective & assiciated with a moments (peak) experience
- evolve over time
- influenced by setting & location and by different religions & perceptions!
- change with structure of stands
- change as we observe them
- canbe created by ceremony / ritual
- are created by history
- 21. Canada: RPF discussion 2
- Management issues concerning SV:
- How can SV be managed without piecemeal approach?
- resistance from forest workers?
- role of foresters as advocates of SV?
- who identifies SV?
- How to measure & quantify SV?
- How to manage todays SV without compromising future generations SV?
- How to reconcile individual mystique of SV with standardised measurement?
- How to reconcile individual SV with job requirements?
- Who to make decisions? Community, global citizen?
View more >
to Religious and Sacred Sites on Department of ?· to Religious and Sacred Sites on Department of Defense…
The Sacred Paddy Hedge Sojourn finalll - Mystical Sacred Paddy Hedge Sojourn ... Tamil!literature;!!Kurunji! (hills), Mullai (Forests), Marutham! (Pastoral! lands), Neithal! (seashores)and!Palai
Chapter II - Sacred Sites and Settlement II - Sacred Sites and Settlement Sites The previous chapter presented a general overview of various sacred sites in Gujarat, along with their location, remains and religious affiliation. An expansion in the sacred landscape was
Starseed Ireland Adventure 2018 - Starseed Adventure Sacred Sites of Southwest Ireland Ireland, September
LAST OF THE SACRED FORESTS - of the Sacred Forests.pdf · ROAD IN THE SKY LAST OF THE SACRED FORESTS…
COMMUNITY FORESTS Forestland ownership and climate sites. ?· COMMUNITY FORESTS Forestland ownership…
How many birds do the sacred forests hold? historic monument with the shrine of Lord Ganesh, the elephant