research into folk music videos noah and the whale (1)
out of 5
Post on 09-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Research into Folk Music Videos: Noah and the Whale Justine Mason
- 2. Noah and the Whale English rock band with folk influences. From Twickenham, London. Formed in 2006. Members include: Charlie Fink(vocals, guitar), Tom Hobden (Violin/keys), Matt "Urby Whale" Owens (bass guitar), Fred Abbott (guitar/keys), and Michael Petulla (drums). Doug Fink (drums), the brother of lead singer Charlie, and Laura Marling (backing vocals) are past members of the band.
- 3. 5 Years Time Introduction: title of band and song typical convention of folk genre presenting song bright yellow, happy colour and font stands out against dark background. Introducing band names written next to them more personal for audience - get to know band same font as before continuation of house style. Mix of performance and cameo performance band perform with instruments as well as sing to camera without performing follows typical conventions of folk videos shows musicianship. No narrative random footage with no real storyline relating to lyrics.
- 4. Editing: split screen shows different instruments playing creates interesting effect for audience screens moving in time to music. Lettering shows lyrics constant theme of lettering throughout video same font and colour as title and names. Lighting mainly set indoors artificial, dim lighting emphasises dark, murky colour scheme throughout goes against conventions of outdoor- set folk videos. Handheld camera home video effect less professional, more personal for audience adds element of humanisation common convention of folk videos.
- 5. Costume: matching blazers, summery shorts and t-shirts old- fashioned as if from school photo/family photo linking to lyrics of song. Colours - blue, yellow keeping to colour scheme throughout happy, bright colours reflecting upbeat song. Location pub homely atmosphere dark natural colours of walls and furniture link to colour scheme and typical neutral/earthy colours seen with folk genre. Hints of the outdoors nature green trees in background symbolising freedom convention of folk.
View more >