Protecting Yourself from Cyber Threats
Post on 29-Nov-2014
2. Striking Back! 3. http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/best-windows-software Best 90 Free Windows Programs to ProtectYou and Your Computer 4. Don t Launch Cell Phone Games and Programs that are Pushed to you 5. Just how gullible are we? 6. Cell phone data charges Ring tones Vanity fraud Meet My Children- Sean, Lindsay, Ryan. Each of them was scammed! 7. It cant happen to me! 8. Click on this link 9. Without protection, its just a craps game. Really? What are the odds? 10. You stand a better chance at any given time of loosing your personally identifiable information than you do of just about any other form of nasty thing than can happen to a person over their lifetime .The National Safety Council
- 1 in 146,107,962.00 could potentially win the power ball lottery grand prize 1 in 3,563,608.83 could potentially win the 200,000 dollar prize in the power ball 1 in 3000 will be killed by lighting in any given year
- 1 in 1,313 chance of being killed by a doctor
- 1 in 314 chance of being killed by a firearm
- 1 in 84 chance of being killed in a car crash over your lifetime 1 in 3 has had their personally identifiableinformation lost this year!!
11. A new, targeted social media version of a very old scam -- theNigerian, or 419, ploy 12. WIRE ME MONEY ! FACEBOOK HACK 13. How did they do that?
- Because Facebook regularly contacts its users through e-mail, and includes links in those e-mails to login pages, the format is ripe for phishers. It's easy to imitate Facebook e-mails and simply send users clicking to a look-a-like login page that steal passwords.
14. 15. 16.
Punked!Lots of tools on the net for people who may want to take advantage of you. 17. Symanticand Sperling s Best Places2010 Report Americas Riskiest Cities for Cybercrime
- "I look at it like driving a car," said Dan Nadir, the director of product management for Symantec. "Your risk of an accident is going to be greater the more you drive. If you're online more, you need to be more cautious, just like the more you're on the road, the more you should wear your seatbelt, have airbags and rotate your tires."
18. Not Proud of this High Ranking 19. Variables In Study
- Sins of Commission : risky online activities, including online banking and online shopping.
- Sins of Omission: Also factored into the rankings was the number of free WiFi hotspots per capita. "WiFi is a big concern," acknowledged Nadir, "because it's something most people don't understand, and most don't know who is behind that hotspot, or if it's even legitimate.
- What counters the risk? Awareness through education!!
20. 21. 22. http://www.scambusters.org/ 23. Who steals my purse steals trashBut he that filches from me my good name ... Makes me poor indeed. Othello, Act 3 Scene 3 24. When in doubt about a potential scam check theInternet Crime Complaint Center http://www.ic3.gov/about/ default.aspx 25. We are all victims!
- 1700 new victims in the course of this meeting.
- By the end of the decade someone in your family will be a victim.
- Lowest estimate of projected damage is $5000.
- Only 1 in 700 is investigated.
- 1 year or less in jail.
- 70 80 % involve illegal dugs
- FBI reports 30,000 computer a week are taken over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF34sqrAPHU 26. 27. Dont let them get away with it.Get mad or get even! Report them immediately to: http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx ORbecome ascam baiter (not really recommended, but some people are just really angry) 28. Who Scammers Hate http://www.419hell.com/ 29. The meteoric rise in social media use has also created a launch pad for identity thieves.
- My prediction for 2010 (and beyond) is that the increase in social networking activity, along with a users failure to implement security and privacy settings and protocols, will lead to an increased exposure ofnot only the users personal information but possibly that of their friends.
Robert Siciliano : CEO of IDTheftSecurity.com http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwFC0jfxTco 30. A word or two about passwords and. hacking Facebook ( the following presentation is a bit scary, but you can protect yourself with the steps that follow) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_kvQC5DH34&feature=related
- Nobirthdates or social security numbers
- Nomother s maiden name
- Nouniversal password
- Yesto long passwords (over eight characters)
- Yesto random patterns first letter of each word in your favorite song with your favorite number.
- Yesto changing it frequently
31. http://www.passpack.com/en/home/ 32. ThreeFREEmust have online tool to create unique passwords. http://www.passwordchart.com/ 33. http://www.roboform.com/ 34. http ://www.onguardonline.gov/games/overview.aspx Go to this site: Choose at least two games and report your findings and observations on the Discussion Board. 35. FTC Video
36. Who are the bad guys?
- Small time crooks
37. Trans- national crime gangs. Russian "Mafia," Colombian and Mexican drug cartels, Asian Triads, Japanese Yakuza, Nigerian confidence rings, Hell's Angels, rogue factions of the St. Regis Mohawk tribe and the surviving, leaner and meaner Cosa Nostra http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwtLZV010-M 38.
Why do people fall for it??? Beware of the push!! 39. Greed.. 40. 41. Greed = Scam.. 42. Fear. 43. Fear = Scam MailFrontier recently claimed that over 40% of recipients fell for the recent Citibank Email Phishing Scam. 44. Curiosity.. 45. Curiosity = Scam 46. Temptation..Grooming Ref. Number:EGOGHS255125600419 Batch Number: 14/ 01259/ IPD Ticket Number:113-2471-752-209 Serial Number: 5063-11 AttentionWe are pleased to inform youof the result of the Winners in our UNIVERSAL STAKES Lottery Program held on the 20th JULY, 2004.Your e-mail address attached to ticket number 27522465896-6453 with serial number 3772-554 drew lucky numbers 7-14-18-31-45 which consequently won in the 2ND category, you have thereforebeen approved for a lump sum pay out of USD$1,500,000( One Million Five Hundred Dollars) Only. CONGRATULATIONS! 47. Some Quick Facts
- FBI 2009 statistics show $560 million in losses over double the figure from 2008.
- Median individual loss - $575.
- But reported loss is tip of the project iceberg estimated to be in the billions. Only 1 in 10 crime reported
48. What Scammers Love
- Social networking sites
- People who click on links
- Pictures, blogs
- Manually hackingcaptcharegistration blocks.
- Pretends to detect a virus and offers
- to help with inexpensive debugging
- software (usually around $50) then..
- You give your credit card # for the software fix!
- Hidden terms..Recurring Billing..Shipping & handling
51. Texting for Dollars
- Text message from your bank or credit card company to call right away and verifyaccount information!
- You vewon a free gift from a reputable vendor like Sears or Macys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtsdK3vLT6k 52. Bogus Love Wire me some money for an airline ticket so that I can be with you forever.
- 1)Fake photos : You may be virtual dating with somebody else.
- 2)Hidden costs : Sign-up could be free, but everything else requires you to pay extra fees.
- 3)Milking your Bank Account : The guy/girl is in distress and urgently need money, e.g. accidents, trapped at airport, hospitalized, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyC0EyyuSlc&feature=player_embedded#! 53. Make ME your favorite charityplease :( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyzfdTVvV5k
- Their pitch: Speed up relief efforts wire and send personal info such as social security and checking account numbers.
54. Log on here: The hot-spot Hot seat Coming to a location near you. http://telkomhell.com/wi-fi-hotspot-security.html 55. Any Web site or print ad offering free credit reports has to display this disclosure across the top of each page: THIS NOTICE IS REQUIRED BY LAW. Read more at FTC.GOV. You have the right to a free credit report from A nnualCreditReport.com or 877-322-8228, the ONLY authorized source under federal law. In September 2010 the rules will go into effect for TV and radio ads. Beware! Not so free credit reports. 56. Free Credit Report?
- Invitation Code It s currently in Beta now like any good start-up, so youll need a special promo code to get in. Use CKFRND