promoting equality in public administration case finland
Post on 18-Jan-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONPanu Artemjeff, Senior Specialist, Ministry of the Interior, Legal Affairs Unit in Providus conference on Diversity management, June 8, 2011.
- 1. Promoting equality in public administration: Case Finland Panu Artemjeff,Senior Specialist, Ministry of the Interior, Legal Affairs Unit
- Finland has ratified themain international agreements relevant for fighting discrimination
- EU legislation that prohibits discrimination andEU Framework Strategyfor Non-Discrimination and Equal Opportunities for All
- Finnish Constitution, Non-Discrimination Actand Gender Equality Act
- European programmes to counter-act discrimination
- National programs to counter-act discrimination (disability policy plan, national Roma policy, human rights policy program etc.)
3. Who is responsible for the equality and non-discrimination policies in Finland?
- Special authorities: Omdusman for Minorities, Ombudsman for Gender Equality, Chancellor of Justice
- Ministries in their fields
- Local and Regional Authorities
- Joint projects with public authorities and NGOs
- Advisory boards (Roma, Sami, Minority etc.)
- Same Parliament
4. Equality Team
- Part of the Legal Affairs unit of Ministry of Interior
- Main tasks:
- 1) Coordinates governmental equality policies
- 2) Develops and facilitates equality duties especially equality planning and equality impact assessment
- 3) Implements national discrimination monitoring (action plan 2010-2013)
- 4) Coordinates national awareness raising activities to tackle discrimination (EU Progress -programme)
5. Equality planning
- Under the Non-Discrimination Act (21/2004), the authorities have a duty to foster equality purposefully and methodically in all they functions, and alter any circumstances that prevent the realization of equality
- The equality team gives recommendations, guidance and training on equality planning
- A guidebook on public sector equality planning was published 2010
- A guidebook on equality planning in NGO will be published 2011 and guidebook for educational institutions 2012
- Equality team has organized 30 training workshops around the country during 2008-2010. (including police, boarder guards, social and welfare personnel, defense forces, labour administration, education sector etc.)
- A study on quantity and quality of equality plans in 2009. Approx. 50% of authorities have a plan that meets the requirements
6. Aims of the planning
- Improve equality in all functions of an public organization
- Developing following areas:
- 1) Skills to identify and tackle discrimination
- 2) Capacity to assess the impact of equality in functions, activities and practices
- 3) Implementation of positive action measures to promote equality
- 4) Promoting participation of minority groups
7. The scope of the planning
- Law requires only one ground, ethnic origin. Ministry of Interior recommends that all grounds are taking into account.
- Both equality in workplace (internal) and equality in services (external) are treated in a single plan.
- Equality workshops deal also with following themes:
- 1) Human rights requirements
- 2) Equality and good governance
- 3) Participatory democracy
- 4) Diversity management
- 5) Group specific issues
8. 9. Equality plan: key factors
- Emphases on the process not on the document
- A comprehensive equality impact analyses
- Equality mainstreaming: finding relevance and linkage to the core functions of organization
- Involvement of the key stakeholders (staff, management and groups at risk of discrimination)
- Tools to measure equality (surveys, consultation and complaint mechanisms) and follow up progress
- Transparency and visibility of the work
10. 11. Other measures to promote equality/ sector based activities
- Ministry of Employment and Economy has launched a program to promote diversity management in business community.
- - Publications on best practices onpositive action, reasonableaccommodation and minority recruitment
- - Launching of the Diversity Charter in2012
12. Other measures to promote equality/ Equality portal
- Website that collects legislation, best practices, guidance for the equality planning, studies, reports etc. related to diversity, equality and non-discrimination issues.
13. 14. Other measures to promote equality/ awareness raising campaigns
- Discrimination free zone - campaign
- Campaign challenges organizations to become discrimination free.
- Organizations must fill in the declaration and they will get the discrimination free zone -signs by post.
15. 16. Thank you