Presented by: Marisa Ploog, CPA, CFE, CICA, CGMA Fiscal Crisis and Management Assistance Team Andrea Alvarado Fiscal Crisis and Management Assistance Team.
out of 36
Post on 18-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- Presented by: Marisa Ploog, CPA, CFE, CICA, CGMA Fiscal Crisis and Management Assistance Team Andrea Alvarado Fiscal Crisis and Management Assistance Team Kate Lane Marin County Office of Education Diane Lacombe El Dorado County Office of Education William Pickering San Diego County Office of Education Local Control Funding Formula LCFF Calculator Charter School
- Slide 2
- Goals Provide a general understanding of how to navigate within the calculator and prepare estimated 13/14 and 14/15 LCFF Phase-In Entitlements Provide an overview of various factors that will affect revenue estimates Provide an overview of the various components of the LCFF Target and LCFF Phase-In Entitlement Provide hands-on experience working within the calculator on sample data and your own districts data. 2
- Slide 3
- Introduction Local Control Funding Formula signed: Legislation & set of revisions - July 1, 2013 Clean-up legislation September 26, 2013 Sweeping funding reform Rush to determine What does it mean for us? Marin COE / BASC developed the initial calculator Support requirements kept growing November 2013: FCMAT began providing support 3
- Slide 4
- Caution This continues to be a fluid environment. CDE guidance is still being developed. Information could change. Read the caveats posted on the FCMAT website 4
- Slide 5
- What Is The Calculator? A tool to estimate revenue based on the LCFF A budget tool A multi-year modeling tool An education/communication tool 5
- Slide 6
- The Current Situation Proposition 98 guarantee is still in effect 13/14 is the start of the transition to LCFFcould be 8 yearsor so Some uncertainties pertaining to the exact methodology and application of the formula still exist At this time, there are no CDE apportionment schedules that reflect how the LCFF formula will be applied CDE will certify LEAs revenue at P-2July 2014, after the year is over Districts and charter schools need to become well versed in estimating their own LCFF revenue 6
- Slide 7
- LCFF Resource Page Identifies current version 7 Open the web-browser and go to www.fcmat.org www.fcmat.org Click on LCFF button Click on LCFF Calculator button to download excel file Save to the desktop or flash drive
- Slide 8
- Calculator Foundation Microsoft Excel is a must (Version 2010 and newer is preferred) Lots and lots of formulas Links & Arrays Vlookups & HLookups Calculations If statements & conditional logic Worksheets are password protected Accidental or incorrect changes to the formulas or links can cause an unknown and/or miscalculation of your estimated revenue If you have a question regarding a calculation contact the FCMAT help desk The calculator will do the heavy work for you 8
- Slide 9
- Calculator Navigation Instructions Assumptions Awards Charter MYP Data Calculator EPA Summary Graphs LCAP MP% Local 1 Local 2 Tabs are established in step by step order for preparation 9
- Slide 10
- Instructions Tab Purpose and general instructions for completing each tab in workbook Updated with each release users should review Identifies version number and release date of calculator V.15.1 added new title box at the top of instructions tab which flows to the other tabs 10
- Slide 11
- Assumptions Tab All assumptions prefilled based on the Department of Finance estimates 11
- Slide 12
- Awards Tab Where it all beginsthe Awards tab 12 Other 2012- 13 Adjustments 6+ digit charter school CDS #
- Slide 13
- Awards Tab Charter Schools Use the calculator for EITHER a charter school OR a district A separate calculation for must be completed for each charter school and/or district 13 Other Adjustments to 2012-13.
- Slide 14
- Request In Lieu taxes from your sponsoring district Unduplicated % comes from the district where the charter school is physically located. Charter MYP Tab 14 Unduplicated count for Concentration Grant add on is based on the lessor of charter school percentage and district of physical location %.
- Slide 15
- Average Daily Attendance is calculated on current year Charter MYP Tab 15
- Slide 16
- Calculating In-Lieu on taxes per ADA District In-Lieu Taxes 16
- Slide 17
- Calculating on the state-wide average Basic Aid districts District In-Lieu Taxes 17
- Slide 18
- Calculating on the state-wide average District In-Lieu Taxes 18
- Slide 19
- Workflow for calculating the state-wide average 1.Complete Awards Tab and MYP Tab 2.Complete separate calculator for each charter without entering in-lieu tax 3.Go back to district Calculator and enter charter ADA by grade span, Target grant and Transition grant to the District In-Lieu tab 4.Enter the results for in-lieu taxes to each charters calculator District In-Lieu Taxes 19
- Slide 20
- LCFF Calculator Component Relationship Historical Phase-in Implemented Floor + Gap + Economic Recovery Target (ERT) $ Target + Economic Recovery Target (ERT) $ Minimum State Aid (MSA) $ All components are calculated on the Calculator tab 20
- Slide 21
- Calculator Tab Target Calculation Base grant Adds COLA annually Grade span adjustments 10.4% for K-3...only if LEA meets requirement 2.6% for 9-12 Supplemental 20% of adjusted base grant and unduplicated count Concentration 50% of unduplicated count in excess of 55% Add-ons Transportation & TIIG 21 Target Base Grade Span Adjustment (GSA) Supplemental Grant Concentration Grant Targeted Instructional Improvement Grant Transportation Grant
- Slide 22
- LCFF Target Target a simple formula 22 ADA feeds from data found on MYP tab Unduplicated Enrollment found on MYP Tab COLA found on Assumptions Tab Unduplicated Enrollment found on MYP Tab
- Slide 23
- Calculator Tab Floor Calculation 23 Floor is recalculated annually based on ADA Entered in MYP tabs Prior year Gap funding per ADA carries forward and is applied to each new years ADA Per ADA factors from the Awards tab feed into Floor calculation on Calculator tab
- Slide 24
- Calculator Tab - Phase-In Funding The Transition not so simple Step One: Compares the LCFF Target to the LCFF Floor the difference = GAP Step Two: Determine GAP and Apply GAP funding rate Step Three: Calculate Phase-In Entitlement before Minimum State Aid: Add GAP funding to Floor ( UNLESS funded at Target - Once funded at Target always funded at Target ) Add ERT Payment 24 Funded Gap
- Slide 25
- Calculator Tab - Minimum State Aid Former RL 12/13 Total RL divided by 12/13 RL ADA multiplied by 2013-14 LCFF ADA Charter schools that receive excess sources in the form of additional in- lieu of property taxes above the LCFF transition funding level in 2013-14 get to keep them. But, these are one-time dollars. 2014-15 includes an adjustment to Minimum State Aid to reduce for excess sources. The charter school will still receive additional dollars from In-leiu of property taxes, but less from State Aid. 25
- Slide 26
- Calculator Tab - Minimum State Aid How much State Aid is my agency entitled to? 26
- Slide 27
- Calculator Tab - Minimum State Aid What if I receive excess sources from property taxes? 27
- Slide 28
- How is Proposition 30 ( EPA ) calculated? Uses adjusted Revenue Limit in LCFF Floor Minimum $200 per ADA How is Proposition 30 EPA applied? Reduces gross state aid Proposition 30 EPA Tab 28
- Slide 29
- Summary Tab 29
- Slide 30
- The Graphs Tab The graphs tab includes various ways of looking at the new funding: By LCFF Component On a per ADA basis comparing entitlement to actual sources Target components Summary Table of Funding by component By Budget Object Code May be modified by user 30
- Slide 31
- LCAP Minimum Proportionality Percentage NEW Follows Title 5 CCR Section 15496 Enter estimated PY expenditures for unduplicated pupils above amount spent on all pupils Estimate of amount spent in 13-14 must be 12-13 EIA expenditures Calculates percentage by which services for unduplicated students must be increased or improved over services for all students in the LCAP year Not a maintenance of effort calculation LEA only required to demonstrate how it is meeting MPP in LCAP year, not across all three years 31
- Slide 32
- LCAP Minimum Proportionality Percentage 32 MPP Est. Supp. & Conc. Divided by Base Enter estimated expenditures on unduplicated pupils & 12-13 EIA expenditures
- Slide 33
- Final Thoughts 33
- Slide 34
- Caveats Default assumptions are official estimates as prescribed by law. LEAs should consider running multiple fiscal scenarios to understand the implications of changes. The calculator does not take into account the impact of district reorganizations on LCFF funding. The calculator is not designed to estimate funding for charter schools established in 2013-14 or subsequent years. The calculator does not take into account all funding adjustments for basic aid school districts (see doc for full list). 34
- Slide 35
- Acronyms ADAAverage Daily Attendance CYCurrent Year ELEnglish Learners ERTEconomic Recovery Target FRPMFree Reduced Priced Meals FYFoster Youth LCAPLocal Control Accountability Plan MPPMinimum Proportionality Percentage NSLNational School Lunch NSSNecessary Small School PYPrior Year RLRevenue Limit SACSStandards Accounting Codes Structure SBEState Board of Education SDCSpecial Day Class SEDSocioeconomically Disadvantaged TIIBGTargeted Instructional Improvement Block Grant 35
- Slide 36
- Lets go hands-on! 36
View more >
FISCAL CRISIS MANAGEMENT ASSISTANCE DCCD...1 FISCAL CRISIS MANAGEMENT ASSISTANCE TEAM STUDY AGREEMENT January 10, 2013 The Fiscal Crisis and Management Assistance Team (FCMAT), hereinafter referred to as the team, and the College of the Desert ...
Charter School Fiscal Management Spring 2012 Presented by: Fiscal Crisis and Management Assistance Team (FCMAT) California School Information Services.
Charter School Fiscal Management Fiscal Year 2010/11 Presented by: Fiscal Crisis and Management Assistance Team (FCMAT) California School Information Services.
Fall/Winter 2009 Charter School Fiscal Management Presented by: Fiscal Crisis and Management Assistance Team (FCMAT) California School Information Services.
Presented by: Gary Quiring CSIS Implementation Specialist Fiscal Crisis & Management Assistance Team Data Management for Charter Schools 1.
Presented by: Gary Quiring, CSIS Implementation Specialist Fiscal Crisis & Management Assistance Team Charter School Reauthorization: CALPADS Requirements.
Annual Report - ?· Annual Report Fiscal crisis and management assistance team 2008-09 CHIEF EXECUTIVE…
Information Technology Study Fiscal Crisis and Management Assistance Team (FCMAT) Las Virgenes Unified School District Presented By: Leslie Barnes Steve.
Joel Montero, CEO Fiscal Crisis and Management Assistance Team California County Superintendents Educational Services Association Business and Administration.
Joel Montero Fiscal Crisis and Management Assistance Team California Teachers Association Presidents Meeting San Bernardino February 26, 2008.
Fiscal Crisis and Management Assistance FCMATwww.fcmat.org EADM 732 Fiscal Planning and Facilities Management Dr. Nicolas D. Ferguson By Cynthia J. Spence.
Presented by: Anthony Bridges, CFE, Deputy Executive Officer Marisa Ploog, CPA, Fiscal Intervention Specialist CCSESA Session II Budget Explorer Overview.
Crisis Management Assistance - Risk Management | red24 · Crisis Management Assistance ... has launched…
Capacity-building on Crisis Management and ?· Capacity-building on Crisis Management and Assistance…