Network today for success tomorrow
out of 12
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONNetworking is important at all stages of your career. It works for individuals who embrace it and practice it purposefully and consistently. The good news is that networking is an acquired skill that can be learnt and applied.
- O p p o r t u n i t y b e y o n d h a n d s h a k e NETWORK today for SUCCESS tomorrow
- O p p o r t u n i t y b e y o n d h a n d s h a k e What is Networking? Q: Its not what you know but who you know True or False? A: False Its not what you know, or who you know but how well you know them that really counts in networking.
- O p p o r t u n i t y b e y o n d h a n d s h a k e Contact or Connection A contact is a person you know but with whom you have not yet established a strong relationship. A connection, on the other hand, is someone who knows you and trusts you because youve established a level of credibility with that person. You have lots of contacts, but how many connections do you have?
- O p p o r t u n i t y b e y o n d h a n d s h a k e Networks of Relationships We think of ourselves as individuals, but we are embedded in networks of relationships that define and sustain us. Michael P Nichols
- O p p o r t u n i t y b e y o n d h a n d s h a k e Important To Your Career Through purposeful and consistent networking, you will: have access to sources of inspiration get job recommendations receive more leads and better referrals get connected to hard to reach people know about profitable opportunities - locally and globally get information before your competitors do stay on track with your career objectives and goals
- O p p o r t u n i t y b e y o n d h a n d s h a k e Who Will You Hire? You have been tasked to hire someone for a position in your accounts department. Which is the best option to you? 1. Your friend has a cousin currently working in the same capacity. 2. A person answers an advertisement you placed in the classifieds. 3. Your colleague has a sister who is ideal for the job. 4. Someone in your company is interested in that position.
- O p p o r t u n i t y b e y o n d h a n d s h a k e Make Networking Work for You 1. Right Mental Attitude 1. Be convinced networking helps you, and others. 2. Give first before expecting to receive. 3. Ask when you need advice.
- O p p o r t u n i t y b e y o n d h a n d s h a k e Make Networking Work for You 2. Develop Necessary Skills Networking is an acquired skill that can be learnt through talks, books, internet, seminars, courses, mentors, career coach, and peers.
- O p p o r t u n i t y b e y o n d h a n d s h a k e Make Networking Work for You 3. Make Time Networking is NOT a spectator sport. You need to take ownership over your networking plans and activities. You need to invest sufficient time and concerted effort.
- O p p o r t u n i t y b e y o n d h a n d s h a k e Just Do It Go Ahead and make that phone call for a job recommendation ask for that contact that you need show your support for others promote your friends new venture give business referrals offer testimonials seek out a mentor appreciate your referral sources participate actively in a networking group
- O p p o r t u n i t y b e y o n d h a n d s h a k e Conclusion Networking is connecting with people we know, establishing mutually beneficial relationships that develops and expands a base of resources that support your endeavour and theirs. Mervin Yeo
- O p p o r t u n i t y b e y o n d h a n d s h a k e Networking Evangelist, Speaker, Author Mervin Yeo, a contributing author in New York Times best- seller Masters of Networking, provides training, consulting, coaching and facilitation to business professionals and organisations in Singapore and the region on purposeful networking and strategic referral marketing. He lives and breathes, speaks and teaches the language of referrals and is author of Purposeful Networking For Introverts and co-author of Turning Ideas Into Profit. Website: www.mervinyeo.com
View more >