ms cloud basics private cloud
Post on 01-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. CLOUD COMPUTING FOR U.S. GOVERNMENT PROFESSIONALS CLOUD BASICS CHAPTER 7 JOURNEY TO THE PRIVATE CLOUDhttp://www.microsoft.com/govcloud
- 2. PRIVATE CLOUD: CLOUD BASICS: CHAPTER SEVEN MICROSOFT U.S. GOVERNMENTGREAT BENEFITSON YOUR TERMSCloud computing offers attractive economies of scale, provides on-demand 02-007services just in time, gives you an infrastructure that supports telework andcontinuity of operations (COOP) plans, and helps green up your data center. Evenso, questions about security and privacy keep some public sector organizationsfrom realizing the benefits of this computing model. To harness the power of thecloud on your terms, consider the private cloud. 2
- 3. CHOICES IN The ABCs of the cloudTHE CLOUD: A IS FOR Access. In the cloud, workers have access toGOING PRIVATE applications, such as email and shared work- spaces, from virtually anywhere on almost any device, helping you meet COOP and telework requirements.If you think of cloud computing only as services you share with strangers, Agility. Cloud technology empowers your IThosted in somebody elses data center, think again. With a private cloud team to respond quickly to changing needs and to provide computing scale and efficiencya cloud computing infrastructure dedicated to your organizationyou can whenever you need it.have the cloud on your terms. B IS FORThe cloud offers pay-as-you-go services, such as software, infrastructure, or Business model. By obtaining services in theplatform resources, and enables you to rapidly and cost-effectively provision cloud, you can replace capital expenditures withjust what you need. You simply sign up for a service. In a public cloud, software more predictable monthly service fees.and services are hosted in a data center shared by many subscribers and oper- Budget. Cloud models can help you reduceated by a commercial entity. capital and operational expenses associated with equipping and managing data centersLike public clouds, private clouds pool resources to provide self-service access to serve peak capacity periods. A public cloudto applications, elasticity that accommodates peaks and valleys in demand, offloads operational maintenance of the services,and cost-saving economies of scale. However, private clouds also provide: and a private cloud automates management. Either way, your administrative overhead can DEDICATED RESOURCES. A private cloud delivers cloud services on be reduced. resources dedicated to you, either on-premises, such as within your own data center, or in a partners hosting facility. C IS FOR Consistency. Cloud infrastructures provide CONTROL AND CUSTOMIZATION. Dedicated resources offer you more a unified platform that can replace mixed IT control over the level of security, privacy, customization, and governance environments and legacy systems, which often operate as inefficient data silos. of your software and services than does a public cloud. Control. IT gets end-to-end management A ROAD MAP TO DATA CENTER EFFICIENCY. A private cloud can help across physical and virtual, on-premises and launch your organizations journey to the cloud. Private cloud architectures off-premises cloud environments, and into can guide you to more cost-effective data center operations using your the applicationsall from a central command existing investments in people and equipment. interface.
- 4. WHEN IS A PRIVATE CLOUD BASICS: CHAPTER SEVEN MICROSOFT U.S. GOVERNMENTCLOUD FOR YOU?YOU NEED DATA SOVEREIGNTY BUT WANT CLOUD EFFICIENCIES. Some federalregulations require that certain types of data be hosted within government-operated infra-structures. For example, the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) private cloud offerscomputing resources to defense organizations but operates solely on the Department of 02-007Defense internal network.YOU WANT CONSISTENCY ACROSS SERVICES. A private cloud hosted by a thirdparty can deliver a consistent service level agreement (SLA) that helps you meet your usersrequirements across the organization. Private clouds offer benefits that traditional datacenters cant match, including, for example, the capacity for live migration across a rangeof servers.YOU HAVE MORE SERVER CAPACITY THAN YOUR ORGANIZATION CAN USE.By pooling infrastructure resources, you can optimize your existing server capacity. Forexample, if you have Windows Server 2008 R2, you can use the built-in Hyper-V technologyto take advantage of the cost savings of virtualization. Pooled resources are easier and morecost-effective to manage than individual machines spread across an organization.YOUR DATA CENTER MUST BECOME MORE EFFICIENT. The more you can consolidateyour operating systems, physical and virtual environments, and server management tools, themore your operations become like a private cloud and the greater the efficiencies. A Microsoftvirtualization solution offers a platform to do that.YOU WANT TO PROVIDE PRIVATE CLOUD SERVICES. You may be able to turn yourexisting servers into a private cloudand possibly a revenue center. Renting storage or 4infrastructure as a service can help you recoup your private cloud investment over time.
- 5. COMPARING PRIVATE CLOUD BASICS: CHAPTER SEVEN MICROSOFT U.S. GOVERNMENTCLOUD PROVIDERSA partner can provide a private cloud to host your applications and servicesa solution thatgives you a high degree of operations control, enhanced security, and data sovereignty.In comparing services, consider which key attributes are most important to yousecurity,management, storage, services, and support. Here are some questions to ask: 02-007 Does the vendor offer application virtualization in addition to desktop virtualization and the tools to manage everything, such as hybrid implementations that combine on-premises and cloud computing or public cloud offerings? Can the vendor help you minimize costs by making use of your existing technology? Does the vendor give you a road map, including architectural assistance, deployment guidance, and best practices? Look for familiar tools that are compatible with existing applications. How flexible and extensible is a vendors solution? If you start with a public cloud service but later need to go private, can your vendor help? 5
- 6. JOURNEY INTO CLOUD BASICS: CHAPTER SEVEN MICROSOFT U.S. GOVERNMENTA PRIVATE CLOUDWith Cloud First and other mandates, government agencies look t
View more >