modern day capernaum. “then he went down to capernaum, a town in galilee…” (luke 4:31a)
out of 35
Post on 17-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Modern Day Capernaum
- Slide 2
- Slide 3
- Then he went down to Capernaum, a town in Galilee (Luke 4:31a)
- Slide 4
- The centurion sent some elders of the Jews to Jesus... they pleaded earnestly with him, This man deserves to have you do this, because hehas built our synagogue. (Luke 7:3-5)
- Slide 5
- Slide 6
- Slide 7
- (ekplesso) amazed to be struck with amazement or astonishment. (This word is used in the Gospels only in conjunction with the reaction to Jesus teaching.) They were amazed at his teaching, because his words had authority. (Luke 4:32)
- Slide 8
- In the synagogue there was a man possessed by a demon, an impure spirit. (Luke 4:33a) (echo pneuma akathartos daimonion) had an unclean spirit was owned by an evil (immoral, impure) spirit. was held captive by an evil spirit. oppressed by an evil spirit.
- Slide 9
- He cried out at the top of his voice, Go away! What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are - the Holy One of God! (Luke 4:33b-34) (hagios theos) holy God
- Slide 10
- Be quiet! Jesus said sternly. Come out of him! Then the demon threw the man down before them all and came out without injuring him. (Luke 4:35)
- Slide 11
- 1) Two errors about demons. They do not exist since there is no spiritual realm. Demons do not exist any more than gods do; being only the products of the psychic activity of man. ---Sigmund Freud For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. (Ephesians 6:12)
- Slide 12
- 1) Two errors about demons. They do not exist since there is no spiritual realm. They are behind everything bad that happens. Jada opened up about her past demons for the first time in a post on her Facebook page to celebrate her birthday on September 18. ---Entertainment News, October 2, 2013, Jada Pinkett Smith's parents high on cocaine when she was a child.
- Slide 13
- 1) Two errors about demons. 2) Are demons real? Testimony of Scripture. Testimony of Jesus. Testimony of ancient writers. Testimony of demons. When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons... (Luke 9:1a) Love is not a god, but rather a great demoneverything daemonic is between divine and mortal. ---Plato, Symposium (385 BC) Jesus asked him, What is your name? Legion, he replied, since many demons had gone into him. (Luke 8:30) Chinese demon (c. 1000 BC)
- Slide 14
- And on that day, declares the Lord of hosts, I will cut off the names of the idols from the land, so that they shall be remembered no more. And also I will remove from the land the prophets and the spirit of uncleanness. (Zechariah 13:2) And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demonsand they went out and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them and confirmed the message by accompanying signs. (Mark 16:17-20) The scribes who came from Jerusalem said, He is possessed by Beelzebul! By the prince of demons he is driving out demons. So Jesus called them overNo one can enter a strong mans house without first tying him up. Then he can plunder the strong mans house. (Mark 3:22-27) 1) Two errors about demons. 2) Are demons real? 3) Are demons active today? No.
- Slide 15
- Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. (I Peter 5:8) Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. (James 4:7b) And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever. (Revelation 20:10) 3) Are demons active today? If not, how do we explain...
- Slide 16
- Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons (I Timothy 4:1) 1) Two errors about demons. 2) Are demons real? 3) Are demons active today? No. Yes. Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God (I John 4:1a)
- Slide 17
- 1) Two errors about demons. 2) Are demons real? 3) Are demons active today? 4) Who are demons? Fallen angels. Spirits of wicked dead.
- Slide 18
- God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment (II Peter 2:4) The great dragon was hurled down - that ancient serpent called the devil, or SatanHe was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him. (Revelation 12:9) And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their own home - these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day. (Jude 6) (Tartaros) - dark, subterranean region held by ancient Greeks as the abode of the wicked dead, where they are punished. 4) Who are demons? Fallen angels. Spirits of wicked dead. Fallen angels bound. When human beings began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose The Nephilim were on the earth in those days - and also afterward - when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown. (Genesis 6:1-4)
- Slide 19
- 4) Who are demons? Fallen angels. Spirits of wicked dead. Fallen angels bound. Scriptural terms used. Unclean spirit (Luke 4:33) Evil spirit (Luke 7:21) Demon (or devil - Luke 4:41) Each of these terms implies a spirit without a body, i.e., what remains behind after a person dies if the spirit (soul) does not go to God.
- Slide 20
- 4) Who are demons? Fallen angels. Spirits of wicked dead. Fallen angels bound. Scriptural terms used. Early church writings. He [Jesus] truly raised himself up, not, as certain unbelievers maintain, that he only seemed to suffer, as they themselves only seem to exist. And as they believe, so shall it happen to them, when they shall be divested of their bodies and be mere evil spirits. Origen, c. 200 AD
- Slide 21
- 4) Who are demons? Fallen angels. Spirits of wicked dead. Fallen angels bound. Scriptural terms used. Early church writings. Differences from angels.
- Slide 22
- He gave them permission, and the evil spirits came out and went into the pigs. (Mark 5:13a) 1) Never said to have entered anyone. 2) No affection for others bodies of any sort; able to appear as a corporal being. 3) Not allowed to roam around. 4) Not associated with the dead. In a mighty voice he shouted: Fallen! Fallen is Babylon the Great! She has become a home for demons and a haunt for every evil spirit... (Revelation 18:1b-2) What do you want with us, Son of God? they shouted. Have you come here to torture us before the appointed time? (Matthew 8:29) In the synagogue there was a man possessed by a demon, an evil spirit. (Luke 4:33)
- Slide 23
- 1) Two errors about demons. 2) Are demons real? 3) Are demons active today? 4) Who are demons? 5) What are their characteristics?
- Slide 24
- When an evil spirit comes out of a man, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says, I will return to the house I left. When it arrives, it finds the house swept clean and put in order. Then it goes and takes seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that man is worse than the first. (Luke 11:24-26) Insatiable desire to inhabit living beings. Injurious intent. Senseless violence, suicide and nihilistic acts. Then the man who had the evil spirit jumped on them and overpowered them all. He gave them such a beating that they ran out of the house naked and bleeding. (Acts 19:16) Night and day among the tombs and in the hills he would cry out and cut himself with stones. (Mark 5:5) my son, who is possessed by a spirit that has robbed him of speech. Whenever it seizes him, it throws him to the ground. He foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth and becomes rigid. (Mark 9:17-18) 5) What are their characteristics?
- Slide 25
- 1) Two errors about demons. 2) Are demons real? 3) Are demons active today? 4) Who are demons? 5) What are their characteristics? 6) What are their beliefs?
- Slide 26
- You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that - and shudder. (James 2:19) Monotheistic. T he Deity of Christ. H eaven and hell. Whenever the evil spirits saw him, they fell down before him and cried out, You are the Son of God. (Mark 3:11) And they begged him repeatedly not to order them to go into the Abyss. A large herd of pigs was feeding there on the hillside. The demons begged Jesus to let them go into them, and he gave them permission. When the demons came out of the man, they went into the pigs (Luke 8:30-33) 6) What are their beliefs?
- Slide 27
- 1) Two errors about demons. 2) Are demons real? 3) Are demons active today? 4) Who are demons? 5) What are their characteristics? 6) What are their beliefs? 7) Can Christians
View more >
INVESTOR PRESENTATION - galilee- ?· Peer snapshot 3 GALILEE REPRESENTS SIGNIFICANT VALUE TO INVESTORS…
PPSQ-31A / 33A - Shim- ?· C297-E055B PPSQ-31A / 33A Protein Sequencer PPSQ-31A / 33A Printed in Japan…
When Jesus heard that John had been put in prison, he returned to Galilee. Leaving Nazareth, he went and lived in Capernaum, which was by the lake in
Matthew 3 4, locusts, monasticism, mikveh, seeker friendly, wrath, galilee, capernaum, shadow of death, ss
Capernaum, the City of Jesus - Zion, Illinois ?· Capernaum, The City Of Jesus Introduction I. The city…
The Urantia Book Paper 146 First Preaching Tour of Galilee Paper 146 - Video study group link Paper 145 Four Eventful Days at Capernaum
Parts Manual 200- ?· Includes items 31A-31G.....Inclut los articulo 31A-31G.....Incluye los articulo…
Capernaum By: Emillio, Grady, and Reinhart. Capernaum Capernaum is located on the banks of galilee. It started as a small village which was built on