mhf ... what movie quotes do you use on a regular basis? - criminal minds is not a movie, but i find
Post on 12-Mar-2020
Embed Size (px)
MHF Newsletter October 2018 Volume- / Issue - 4
Creating Hope, People First, Better Mental Health
From the Executive Officer…
Celebrating mental health and wellbeing.
Mental Health Month is held in October each year in the ACT. This annual event celebrated in Australia and over 100 countries across the world is an effort to raise awareness of mental illness and promote positive mental health and wellbeing
The theme for Mental Health Month ACT 2018 is Identity & Growth.
Nearly half (45%) of the population will experience a mental disorder at some stage in their lives. Every year, almost one in five Australians (20%) will experience a mental illness.
Lots of activities are happening across the ACT to promote wellbeing, including a Men- tal Health Film Festival, mindfulness and relaxation workshops and more.
The annual Mental Health and Wellbeing Expo will be held in Garema Place (Petrie Plaza and City Walk, Civic), on Thursday 11 October, 11am to 2pm. Entry is free, and all are welcome. This year, there will be 70 stalls (including MHF), a sausage sizzle, live music and fun entertainment.
MHF has two major activities happening during Mental Health Month and we invite everyone to attend either or both.
• Wednesday October 17th - in partnership with This Is My Brave, MHF presents “Giving Stigma the Boot”
• Friday October 26th - MHF hosts Duncan n. Sargeant’s Annual Concert for Mental Health.
I look forward to seeing you at either or both of these fantastic events!
On another note, the Board of MHF is seeking expressions of interest from individuals to represent mental health service consumers on the Board. If you or anyone you know is interested, please contact MHF on one of the phone numbers below, or the email address below.
Please remember - mental health and wellbeing affects everyone. ..... Angie Ingram - MHF Executive Officer
FEATURES Page 2…..
Mental Health Month On the Spot - Khairul
World Mental Health Day Page 4…..
Young People & Mental Health in a Changing
Kraft Korna & Fun Page 5…..
MHF Mental Health Month Shows
Food to Ease Stress Page 7…..
Time to Change
MHF is a registered National Disability Insurance Scheme Service Provider
(PRN 4050001762) since June 2014
1800 985 944 (freecall)
02 6282 6658 (main)
02 6282 6674 (fax)
11/70 MacLaurin Crescent
Chifley ACT 2606
UPDATE YOUR DETAILS
Have you changed your phone number or moved to a new address? We need to know – contact MHF to update your details.
Canberra Mental Health and Wellbeing Expo
A free Mental Health and Wellbeing Expo is taking place in Garema Place in Civic on Thursday, 11 October 2018 from 11am – 2pm. The Expo showcases the amazing services available in the ACT that improve mental health and wellbeing.
October is Mental Health Month….. What is Mental Health Month and why do we need it?
10th October is World Mental Health Day…. Why does this happen? What is it all about? What do I need to do about it? Where can I find out more about it?
1. What is your position / role with MHF? - Recovery Mentor and Support Coordinator.
2. How long have you worked with MHF? - Three (3) years.
3. What do you like best about working with MHF? - The strong bond and rapport between team members. That is certainly one of the reasons I
have been with the organisation for all these years.
4. If you could sing 1 song on Australian Idol, what would it be and why? - Seasons In The Sun by Westlife, be-
cause it makes me remembering back to the memories that I had with my family, especially with my late father before he passed away. Love them to bits.
5. What is the weirdest thing a guest has done at your house? - There was this child who came with his Family. The child was so hyperactive, he went up and down the house as well as switching on and off elec- trical appliances many times. Until his family managed to get the situation under control, it was so hectic and strange to see the situation. I got used to the situation when I knew that there was something unique about this child.
6. What is the luckiest thing that has happened to you? - Being able to achieve and experience a lot of things throughout my 25 years of life so far. Hashtag BLESSED.
7. What movie quotes do you use on a regular basis? - Criminal Minds is not a movie, but I find the quotes that are mentioned at the beginning of every episode quite interesting:
1) "Ideologies separate us, dreams and anguish bring us together."
2) "Whatever we do for ourselves dies with us, what we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."
3) "Things are not always what they seem. The first appearance deceives many. The intelligence of a few perceives what was carefully hidden."
4) "I have seen children successfully surmount the effects of an evil inheritance. That is due to purity
being an inherent attribute of the soul."
What is Mental Health Month? Held in October each year in the ACT, Mental Health Month is an annual event celebrated in Australia and in over 100 countries to raise awareness of mental illness, reduce the stigma and discrimination against people living with mental illness, and promote positive mental health and wellbeing in the community. It also aims to promote the importance of early intervention practices for positive mental health and wellbeing.
Nearly half (45%) of the Australian population aged 16-85 will experience a mental illness in their life.
Every year, almost one in five Australians (20%) will experience a mental illness. During a one-year period,
anxiety disorders will affect 14% of the population and depression will affect 6%.
Mental Health Month ACT is coordinated by the Mental Health Community Coalition of the ACT in partnership with ACT Health and a collaboration of community organisations.
Mental Health Month ACT features a diverse range of fun activities including, a short film
festival, art therapy workshops, theatre show, expo and dragon boating on the shores of Lake Burley Griffin.
Why is Mental Health Month important? Each year 1 in 5 Australians are affected by mental illness, yet many don’t seek help because of stigma.
Approximately half of all individuals (45%) will experience issues with mental health in their lifetime. This could be you, a loved one, a family member, a friend, a colleague, a neighbour.
People struggling with mental health issues often find themselves isolated, lonely and left to cope on their own.
Mental Health Month is a yearly reminder of the responsibility we all share to reach out and support those in the community who suffer in silence.
Garden Gym! We’re always being told to eat more fruit and veggies and get more exercise with this diet or that exercise pro- gram. If the thought of donning the Lycra and heading to the gym has you reaching for the chocolate cake, what
about green gym? Get out into your sustainable garden for your daily workout. Sustainable gardening is not only good for the planet; it’s good for your health. There are more and more people using their gardens and growing fruit and veggies to help manage chronic diseases such as type 2 diabetes. Think about all the weeding, digging, mulching, planting, and raking you can do in your garden. Wow, what a workout. Not only that, your sustainable garden is a great mood booster, so it’s good for our mental health as well.
Mental Health Foundation ACT - Services
The Mental Health Foundation ACT (MHF) is a
registered National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
provider (Registration number: 4050001762), and can
provide the following supports to NDIS participants from
the ACT and New South Wales:
• Assistance – Life Stage, Transition
• Assistance – Personal Activities
• Assistance – Travel/Transport
• Assistance with Access/Maintain Employment
• Behaviour Support
• Daily Tasks/Shared Living
• Development - Life Skills
• Group/Centre Activities
• Household Tasks
• NDIS Plan Management
• Participate in the Community
• Personal Activities
MHF Provides these through:
• Support Coordination
• Support work – Residential and Outreach
• Residential Short-Term Accommodation
• Residential Supported Accommodation
• Plan Management
• Social Engagement Activities
(Listing is current as at 17 April 2018.)
DEFINING MENTAL HEALTH
Mental Health - a state of well-being in which every individual realises his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to her or his community (WHO, 2001).
Mental Distress - a term used to describe the resulting experience a person may be having rather than a diagnostic term. Can occur at any point of the we