Post on 26-Jun-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. SERVICE LEARNING PROJECT
Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School plans to implement a recycling program starting in the 2010-2011 school year.Presently, recycling takes place in the following areas:
Cafeteria: Glass and Plastic
Receiving Room- Cardboard
Recycling takes place in the classroom on a limited basis (paper only).
2. SERVICE LEARNING PROJECT
Curriculum integration of literature related to Recycling/Green Movement
Examples of Books that could be used for outside reading:
Friedman, Thomas. Hot, Flat, and Crowded.
Inhoff, Daniel. Paper or Plastic: Searching for Solutions to an Over Packaged World.
Tammemagi, Hans. The Waste Crisis: Landfills, Incinerators, and the Search for a Sustainable Future.
Strasserr, Susan. Waste and Want. A Social History of Trash.
3. MIDDLE SCHOOL SERVICE LEARNING PROJECTS
Park Middle School
Terrill Middle School
Grades 5 & 7
4. SERVICE LEARNING
Address civic responsibility
Selection of select an issue
Description of the issue
5. SERVICE LEARNING
Identification of a community need
Determination of specific goals and objectives to meet
Development, implementation, and evaluation of the action plan
6. Grade 5The Service
- Projects will be thematically based and connected to student social, emotional, and academic growth.
Grade 7The Service
Projects will be connected to student interests and civic responsibility
7. Service Learning at Brunner
Roles, relationships, and challenges of a community
Why do some people in my community need help getting basic services?
Scaffolded across disciplinary subjects - art, language arts, & social studies
Writing is a tool for reflection and self-discovery
8. Service Learning at Brunner
Students create placemats for community in need
Brunner partners with Meals on Wheels
Messages of encouragement, empathy, and cheer
Placemats are functional and symbolic of a need
9. Coles School Service Learning Project 2010-11
- Editing and revising 10. Use of a checklist to guide conferences 11. Increase the use of questions to improve detail in writing 12. Increase sense of belonging to the Coles community
Assisting younger children in learning the craft of revision and editing
Learning how to ask questions to help facilitate thinking
13. EvergreenSchoolReading Buddies
Continue to develop understanding of the importance of literacy
Explore the impact of literacy on the quality of life both within their communityand globally
14. Evergreen School
Paired reading sessions
15. McGinn Elementary SchoolService Learning Project
- To develop comprehension, problem solving, and writing
- To develop an understanding of cultures of the world 16. To learn about the world through maps and other
- To read a wide range of literature from many cultures in
a wide variety of genres
17. McGinn Elementary SchoolService Learning Project
Students will use funds to purchase animals through the Heifer International Organization in order to provide needy families with basic food and resources.These resources will help families in the global community and help to end world hunger.
18. School One: Help at Home, Help Others in Need
Simple Chores at home
Donated to a relief effort
Specific local or global need
19. Cross-Curriculum Learning Goal Connections
Social Studies / World Language