managing your it
Post on 27-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Go to View > Header & Footer to edit December 9, 2011 |slideRSCs Stimulating and supporting innovation in learning Managing your IT Gordon Millner Technical Advisor, RSC-EM www.rsc-em.ac.uk
2. December 9, 2011 |slideSomethoughts Backup Printing Cloud Computing Software Memory Broadband 3. Backup Solutions
- How are you backing up?
- How quick is it?
- Where do you store it?
- Have you tried to recover from it?
December 9, 2011 |slide 4. Print Management
- Get rid of your printers
- How much is it costing you to run in paper and toner
- Why do you need them
- What about electronic documents
- Why do people need them on their desk
- Do you have a Multi-Function Device
- Follow me printing
- Cost effective routing
- Default settings Draft, double sided
December 9, 2011 |slide 5. Cloud computing December 9, 2011 |slideGoogleDocs Googlemail lifetime email ? Backup hosting Anytime and Anywhere 6. Software support from Microsoft
- What OS are you using on your workstations and servers?
- XP and Server 2003 not fully supported now
- April 2014 expires
- Windows 8 and Windows 8 Server coming April 2012-ish
December 9, 2011 |slide 7. Memory Upgrades
- Cheap at the moment
- Extend the life of your computers
- Improvement in performance
December 9, 2011 |slide 8. Broadband speed
- Broadband upload and download speeds differ
- Important for uploading documents eg. backup
December 9, 2011 |slide 9. Any Questions?
- Gordon Millner Technical Advisor, RSC-EM
- T: 01509 618120
December 9, 2011 |slide