local marketing -- mayugba
out of 38
Post on 08-Sep-2014
Embed Size (px)
- Local Store Marketing: How the fundamentals fit into popular and new technology.
September 21, 2010
Word of mouth for all to share.
- My Heckler Magazine Days The falling of the ivory towers and the birth of UGC
- Record Retail
- Restaurant Marketing
- Niche Social Media
- The Future of News
- New Game / Same Rules
Social Media refers to places online where people share with friends
The technology is new, but the phenomenon is old: people like to talk and share.
Help your brick and mortar clients understand the fundamentals of social media before trying to sell them on it. Education is key.
Tell your clients that the fundamentals of customer loyalty and core competence are still #1.
Foot traffic and buts in seats is still #1 for sales conversion. Make sure you are using the new technology to drive sales, even through the side door.
- What do people share?
They share news about themselves and their families
They share photos
They share news stories and videos that are funny, cute or scary.
They share their opinionsoften loudly.
- What websites are important?
The most popular activity online is Social Media
It represents over 13 minutes out of every hour US adults spend online (the area in blue)
Growth is accelerating in Social Media use.
- What exactly can you do
Apply Process. Be Authentic. Be Creative.
- Prepare: Build community
Build assets on Facebook, Twitter, Google Places, Yelp and YouTube around your brand and your core interests
Listen and analyze conversations online around issues that matter to you
Engage and message around key themes over the course of weeks to build credibility and community. Create content, real content.
Be platform agnostic go where your customers are.
- General Growth
- 500+ million active users (July 2010).
- 50% of users log on at least once each day.
- Fastest growing demographic is 35 years & older.
- 700 billion minutes are spent on Facebook each day.
- 900+ million objects that people interact with (pages, groups, events).
- Average user is connected with 80 pages.
- Average user creates 90 pieces of content monthly (status updates, videos, links, pictures).
- 150 million active users accessing Facebook through their mobile devices.
- Mobile users are twice as active as non-mobile users
- facebook L Wine Lounge
- Get Creative
- Connect the virtual to the physical
- Dont be afraid to make mistakes
- Dont spam
- One quality connection is worth more than 1 million bogus friends
- Relaunched/renamed in August; was Google Local
- Google Places data shows up when people search for a specific location, a certain type of location, and even Google Maps, so it's important to keep information updated.
- Objective: help people find businesses, help businesses reach out to prospects. Think Yellow Pages, however Places is available online and mobile (where large% of people search for stores, services, biz)
- I see it as Yelp integrated into Google Search because: People search keywords (mexicanfood or jeans) plus location (Sacramento) and are given a list ofmercahnts to choose from, or in many cases, one key merchant.
- Google Places (search done Tues, 9/21/10 at 9:07pm)
- Businesses can take the keys to their listing for free (by claiming their page) and update information, content, specials, menu, photos and real-time updates as well as the ability to respond to their customers.
- Why would you pay for a Yellow Page ad ever again?
- Business owners (and users) can edit data, add coupons, including ones formatted for mobile, give opinions.
- Places gives great stats, tracking, keywords, etc. to business. Analytics.
- Remember, Google is king of search, how we navigate the web today, so accurate data in your Place will naturally boost search results.
- April 20, 2010 TechCrunch article: Google Escalates The Location War With GooglePlaces
Managing this for your clients, upselling them on additional tags, and placing search related ads as a media buy all have potential revenue and return implications.
- People use Yelp to write amateur reviews, read peer reviews, get information about merchants, and to discover other places they may be interested in.
- Business owners can claim a listing, update all content and info, add menus, photos, and detailed merchant data
- Yelp provides great stats; page views
- Important for restaurants to:
- take advantage of the free page advertisement and create an incentive or post specials here
- respond to reviews from Yelpers; both negative and positive
- Yelp pushes business info out to users your potential customers.
Best of Yelp - A large percentage of people visit the homepage who have never posted a review on Yelp. They visit to find restaurants and Yelp publishes the top 5 most highly reviewed restaurants. You can also search for restaurants by different categories: type of food, neighborhood, wifi, patio, late night, happy hour, etc. - another reason that it is so important to keep your business information accurate, complete and up to date.
- 2. Weekly Yelp Email Blast - different topic every week, features about 10 different local businesses each time that users are reviewing. This goes to your email inbox.
3. Yelp competes with Foursquare with the Yelp check in feature, which is very similar to Foursquare's and not as popular.
- 4. You can promote events from your profile. Event promotions go out as direct emails to your friends on Yelp.
5. Most cities have a Yelp community manager. Reach out to him/her and they can provide you with extra promotional opportunities like Elite events, features in email, and giveaways.
- Yelp Engage one by one
- Think Yelp + Google Places combined and only for mobile.
Mission: the ultimate user generated city guide
Why Foursquare is important to the user:
- check in at current location; see where your friends are;
- earns points and badges;find new places you've never heard of;
- get tips from friends for what to order at places new and old
View more >