legal tech startup weekend 2014
Post on 24-Apr-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThis is my keynote from Legal Tech Startup Weekend in San Francisco August 17, 2014.
- 1. Ron Dolin Keynote August 17, 2014
- 2. Aug 17, 2014; Legal Tech SW Copyright 2014, Ron Dolin2 Overview Case Study Speeding Case Study Book Lending Legal Innovation This Weekend Proposal Breakdown Attracting Engineers, Investors, etc. Stanford Work, Hastings Projects Lessons (to be) Learned Q & A
- 3. Aug 17, 2014; Legal Tech SW Copyright 2014, Ron Dolin3 Speeding Proposal self regulating cars No traffic cops/courts Everyone speeds though Auto pay? Max speed pre-set? Pay in advance to drive faster?
- 4. Aug 17, 2014; Legal Tech SW Copyright 2014, Ron Dolin4 Book Lending (not legal tech) Paper how many readers per day? readers per book? Compare with electronic token passing Copyright and Fair Use didn't change Goal is to incentivize authorship Statutes need a minimum lending time?
- 5. Aug 17, 2014; Legal Tech SW Copyright 2014, Ron Dolin5 Legal Tech Issues Access to justice Automation, transparency Implied technology assumptions in law Measuring quality (human and machine) Trade-offs between efficiency and quality Training lawyers to use/develop new tools Informational analysis of legal problems etc. etc. etc.
- 6. Aug 17, 2014; Legal Tech SW Copyright 2014, Ron Dolin6 From Whence Legal Innovation? Courts? Small firms? Large firms? Established providers? Innovator's Dilemma/Solution Legal Technology Startups Modria, Rocket Lawyer, LegalZoom, Ravel...
- 7. Aug 17, 2014; Legal Tech SW Copyright 2014, Ron Dolin7 This Weekend's Breakdown What did you focus on? access, bail, renters, awareness, contracts Which areas of law? Which types of technology? NLP, cloud, video, visualization?, expert systems?, ... How might you monetize? What are the barriers to adoption? Who might fund you?
- 8. Aug 17, 2014; Legal Tech SW Copyright 2014, Ron Dolin8 Building Complete Teams How to attract engineers? How to attract business folks? How to attract designers? How to attract investors? While we're at it: - How to attract customers? - How to build markets (e.g. standards)?
- 9. Aug 17, 2014; Legal Tech SW Copyright 2014, Ron Dolin9 Stanford, Hastings Work Stanford: Taught Legal Tech (taking class on the road) (w/ Margaret Hagan) Center on the Legal Profession Hastings Startup Legal Garage (focus on legal tech startups) Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjbDaPfVUZI
- 10. Aug 17, 2014; Legal Tech SW Copyright 2014, Ron Dolin10 Lessons (to be) Learned Design process rapid prototyping, testing Complete teams Feasibility, viability, etc. Empathy for your clients Evangelizing the need for revamping the legal system
- 11. Aug 17, 2014; Legal Tech SW Copyright 2014, Ron Dolin11 Contact Info legaltechdesign.com Ron.A.Dolin@radicalconcepts.com @legalnoise
View more >