la salle, klang building report analysis
out of 19
Post on 05-Sep-2014
Embed Size (px)
- TAYLORS UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE, BUILDING AND DESIGN BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (HONS) (ARCHITECTURE) MARCH INTAKE 2013 - SEMESTER 2 ARCHITECTURE CULTURE AND HISTORY 2 - ARC 1323 PROJECT - ARCHITECTURE HERITAGE BUILDING ANALYSIS LA SALLE SCHOOL, KLANG BUILDING ANALYSIS REPORT GROUP MEMBERS: ALFRED LEE XUE CHYI (0314703) CHARLENE CHAN HUI SHAN (0308518) KIAN SOON JEAN (0314978) NICK LIM WEI ZE (0305863) TUTOR: MS. ANIDA WORDS: 2704 WORDS
- Content Title Page Number Introduction 2 History of La Salle School Klang 3 Important Events 5 List of Principles 6 History of Klang 7 Art Deco Architecture 10 Comparison of Art Deco 13 Building Inventory 14 References 18
- SMK La Salle is a Malaysian national secondary all boys school, founded in the year 1940 by Adrian Devales and Reverend Father L. Guittart. It was initially established as a missionary primary school named the St. Bernadettes School during the flourishing of other missionary schools all across the Straits Settlements such as Penang and Malacca. After several ownership and name changes over the years, the school was divided into two separate schools, namely, SR La Salle & SM La Salle. The former functions as a primary school whereas the latter functions as a secondary school. Today, the La Salle secondary school is known by the name of SMK La Salle. Similar to all Malaysian national schools, it is administered by the Ministry of Education Malaysia. During its humble beginnings, SMK La Salle operated upon a school fee of $2 per student and was dependent on the donations of church members for funds. In the year 1947, principle Fr. Edmund was forced to build a wooden extension to the original existing building as well as rent a double-storey private residence in Jalan Koto (Fort Road) to accommodate the growing number of students. Unfortunately, tight funds and limited capacity in the midst of a rapid student body growth eventually lead to a closure and takeover by the La Salle Brothers who renamed the school to La Salle Institution in 1951. They also bought a 12-acre piece of land along Telok Gadong Road (where SMK La Salle is presently located)l for school expansion. Fund-raising activities were held for the sole purpose of improving the schools aging facilities. The school officially reopened in 1957 under the authority of the La Salle Brothers. In the following year, the construction of 2 Science laboratories, a school hall, 3-storey block containing 4 classrooms, the Lee Kuo Chuan Library, the Office and teachers room and a building for the teaching of Woodwork, Metalwork, Electricity and Power Mechanics was completed. In year 1963, La Salle Institution Klang split into La Salle Primary School and La Salle Secondary School but education activities were still conducted within the same compound. In 1965, a rapid growth of the schools student body forced a set up of temporary sheds to accommodate student activities. The library was used by floating classrooms while the old canteen was modified into a science laboratory to solve the over-crowding issue in the school.
- Three years later, extra-curriculum activities were provided for the healthy development of both the students mental and physical forms. In 1971, the Students Service Council was founded and a new canteen was opened. SMK La Salle grew rapidly once again in the year 1977 to over 1000 students in number. Consequently, its director decided to replace the temporary sheds with a 3-storey building containing 22 classes, 3 Science labs and an A.V.A. Room which set the school back by $270,000. Funds was raised via a charity function with financial aid from the Parents Teachers Association and the Old Lasallians Association of Klang. In 1983, SMK La Salle became the first school with a computer lab in Klang. In the year 1989, The Ministry of Education Malaysia took over SMK La Salle from the authority of the La Salle brothers.
- IMPORTANT EVENTS YEAR EVENT 1940 Opened as a private primary school called St. Bernadettes School 1950 School name changed to La Salle Institution 1951 School name changed to La Salle School 1958 New administrative building was built 1963 School was renamed to SR La Salle & SM La Salle, with two separated schools in one area 1980 A Science lab building was constructed (named as Rex C.C. Michael Block) 1983 Operating first computer lab in Klang 1989 Administrated by the Ministry of Education Malaysia and known by the name of SMK La Salle 2004 Replacement of new roof and sidewalk downstairs in Science lab building 2010 Construction of new single storey building for counseling room and art room.
- LIST OF PRINCIPLES BEGAN ENDED Name 1940 1947 Reverend Father L. Guittart 1947 1951 Reverend Father John Edmund 1952 1957 Reverend Brother Stephen Phillip 1958 1963 Reverend Brother Leo Manicasami 1964 1964 Reverend Brother Celestine Jennings 1965 1967 Reverend Brother John Mathew Neo 1968 1976 Reverend Brother Harold Reynolds 1977 1982 Reverend Brother Cassian Pappu 1983 1985 Reverend Brother David Liao 1986 1988 Reverend Brother Michael Wong 1989 1993 En. Rex C.C. Michael 1993 1994 Pn. K. Sadasivam 1995 1998 En. Shum Kwok Hong 1998 2003 Pn. Hajah Zainon binti Kasim 2003 2006 Pn. Hajah Hasimah binti Karim 2006 2010 Pn. Lily Lee 2010 2012 Pn. Hajah Adliyah binti Ramli 2012 Now Pn. Ding Sooi Chong
- SMK La Salle is situated in Klang which is one of the oldest Malaysian settlement as the earliest record of its existence dates back to 600 years ago during the Majapahit Government. It was originally named Port Swettenham and appointed as an administrative centre by the Britains when they colonised Malaya. Klang flourished in the late 19th century as its tin ore mining industry grew. Thanks to Port Klang, it became an important trade centre leading to a population spurt in commercial areas following economical successes. However, there seem to be no spill of the economic wealth in trade upon Klang even until today, which explains the relatively low cost of living in Klang. The Location Plan of La Salle in the context of Klang.
- The Site Plan of La Salle as an overall. Although the human population in Klang today is racially diverse, the Indian-Muslim community forms the majority of Klangs population. This is directly reflected in the diversity of La Salles student body which comprise of 70% Indians whilst other racial groups make up the remaining 30%. In Klang, the notion of Hinduism being a traditional Indian religion is challenged. Nevertheless, cross-cultural programs are encouraged by the MPK and are held at the dataran seni klang. Today, Klang is governed by an authority board formally known as the MPK (Majlis Perbandaran Klang). The MPK, lead by the yang dipertua, was formed in the year 1977 and is mainly financed by Klangs tax-paying land owners, the renting out of public buildings and facilities, and the licensing of businesses and their operating locations. In 2008, Tuan Mislan Bin Tugiu was chosen by the Malaysian public services board to lead the MPK. Spanning over 574 square kilometres today, Klangs cityscape is rather flat compared to its neighbouring cities such as Petaling Jaya and Shah Alam as there are very few skyscrapers around. This can be linked to the fact that around 30% of the land in Klang is employed for agriculture means, covering about 17 000 acres. Despite the common trend of people moving out to more urban towns such as Petaling Jaya over the years, human population in
- Klang increased from around 562 000 people in the year 2000 to a total of 1042 000 people in the year 2010. Due to an expansion of La Salles student body over the years, subsequent blocks of building were added on to the school compound and several existing structures such as the school canteen was expanded. The whole school was also repainted so that it stands in green and white colours today. One of the earliest structures within the school compound now functions as headquarters. The La Salle School, amongst several other schools are located in the south of Klang, whereby residential houses and shophouses are largely located. These schools are conveniently built within an average distance of 3km from the local residential houses.
- ART DECO ARCHITECTURE The original building of SMK La Salle Klang was completed at the year 1952 at the schools current location along Jalan Raja. SMK La Salle was designed in the influential Art Deco architecture style which was birthed in France after World War I, succeeding the Art Nouveau architecture period. It flourished globally during the 1930s and 1940s before its popularity waned after World War II. Art Deco is an eclectic style that combines traditional craft motifs with Machine Age imagery and materials. It is often characterized by rich colors, bold geometric shapes, and lavish ornamentation. It was adapted to a certain extent throughout prewar Malaysia, particularly in the design of shop houses. Art Deco emerged from the Interwar period when rapid industrialization was transforming culture. One of its major attributes is the embrace of technology. The organic motifs favoured by its architectural predecessor, distinguishes Art Deco from it. During its heyday, Art Deco represents luxury, glamour, exuberance, a
View more >