introduction to google apps for education
Post on 26-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONPresentation to school administrators that explains why I believe Google Apps for Education is a good fit for our school.
- 1. An Introduction toGoogle Appsfor Education By Steven Hall, RIS K-12 Technology Coordinator
2. This Presentation:
- What is Google Apps (GApps)?
- What is GApps for Education?
- Why Do We NeedGApps for RIS/T ?
- Benefits of GApps for RIS/T
- GApps for RIS/T Tour
- GApps for RIS/T Class Wikis
- Other Schools Using GApps
- Future Considerations
3. What is Google Apps ( GApps )?
- Google Applications is acloudbasedgroupwareproduct
- Its a suite of various applications that permit communication & collaboration
- Other examples: LotusNotes, MS Exchange, FirstClass, Live.edu, Adobe, Yahoo Apps
4. What is Google Appsfor Education ?
- GApps for Education is aspecificgrouping of applications tailored for use in schools. These include:
- Gmail(we currently have this turned off)
5. The Google AppsSuite 6. Why Do We NeedGApps for RIS/T ?
- Staffneeds access to an up-to-date school calendar
- Staffneeds a way to easily create and update websites: class wikis, departmental intranets, etc.
- Staffneeds to work and communicate with peers &studentsfrom any device at any location, anytime
7. BENEFITS 10 Reasons WhyGoogle AppsCan Benefit RIS/T 8. Benefit 1:Control
- GApps allows centralized control & administration of all content
- Wikispaces ,Wetpaint ,Weebly , etc. do not allow any real administrative control
- When staff leaves RIS/T, their associated GApps content disappears also
9. Benefit 2:Collaboration
- Users can create:Documents ,spreadsheets ,surveys ,quizzes ,slideshows ,websites ,intranets ,wikis ,calendars ,instant message groupsandvideoconferences
- These creations can be shared with or edited by students, peers or parents or kept entirely private
- Students and staff can log in anywhere/anytime to collaborate and communicate
10. Benefit 3:No Software Needed
- No Cost (MS Office is certainly not free!)
- No security issues (hacked software, etc.)
- No legal issues
- No compatibility issues (.doc vs .docx, Mac vs PC.)
- No maintenance (software installation, updating, troubleshooting)
11. Benefit 4:Compatible w/ all OSs
- Works on PC
- Works on Mac
- Works on Linux
- Works on any smart phone, iTouch, etc.
- Accessible 24/7 from any internet-connected device
12. Benefit 5:Multiple Administrators
- There is no sole gatekeeper of GApps for RIS/T
- If one of us disappears, the others can maintain the system, anytime/anywhere
- Tony, Liang & I are administrators
13. Benefit 6: Allows Tech Leapfrogging
- Other schools have previously invested in older, complicated & expensive groupware
- GApps is easier to use & manage, and is FREE
- Shows theworldthat RIS/T is taking a lead in the use ofnewtechnologies
14. Benefit 7:Helps in Emergencies
- In the event of a medical or political crisis, GApps can make staff/student/parent communication & collaboration possible
- Courses can be run virturally through the use of class wikis, blogs, calendars, IM &videoconferencing
15. Benefit 8:Only 1 Login
- GApps requires just one login to access multiple applications
- Other options such asNetvibes ,Wikispaces ,WordPress ,Yahoo ,Skype ,etc.provide applications individually, forcing users to login separately for each!
16. Benefit 9:Skills Transfer
- Learning how to use GApps is a valuable skill
- These skills will help staff and students be prepared for learning & working in the 21 stcentury
- Google is here to stay & learning the Google way will pay off
- Putting effort into learning the Wetpaint way or the Zoho way might be wasted effort
17. Benefit 10:Brings Unity
- People are overwhelmed and frustrated by all the technological choices these days
- The GApps umbrella of services is simple to use (fun, even!) and provides a unified solution for many needs
- Helps unify our campus
18. Google Apps for RIS/TTour:
- Start Page(start.rism.ac.th)
19. GApps for RIS/TWikis
- Ms. Vivian ( Mandarin Weather Project )
- Ms. Junko ( Japanese Class )
- Mr. Alex( English Skills 11 )
- Ms. Mendy ( Bio 10 Self-Assessment )
- Ms. Jenny ( Accelerated 9 Math )
- Ms. Gail ( Teaching ESL in the Mainstream )
- Ms. Rachel ( Week Without Walls )
- Ms. Jennifer ( UNEP Ozone Project )
- Mr. Steve ( IT Dept )
20. Other Schools UsingGApps:
- Prem Tinsulanondaof Chiang Mai
- American School of Japan
- Yokohama International School
- International School of Kuala Lumpur
- BusanForeign School
- King George V School of Hong Kong
- Carol Morgan School
21. Future Considerations
- Gmailfor next year?
- Google EarthPro 200 free licenses
- Google SketchUpPro licenses coming
- May RIS/T be on path to becoming a Google School ?
- Importance of Internetbandwidth
- Importance of students usingRISemail
22. ThatsI T .