interchange - management by sticky notes - collaboration made easy
out of 33
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONGallup research shows 70% of the American workforce is disengaged. They say that mission and purpose driven organizations experience higher rates, but what can we do to make that higher? The answer lies in a highly sophisticated management technique called #MBSN or management by sticky notes. Tom Hood, CEO of the MACPA and Business Learning Institute shares the why and how of MBSN in this special session on "collaboration made easy. Particpation and collaboration leads to engagement which increases trust (7 X according to Gallup) and ultimately yields to the holy grail of engaged people who give you their discretionary effort. Tom provides exempts of how they have used this at the Maryland Association of CPAs and in their strategic planning work. They used this to design and facilitate the grassroots future forums during the CPA Horizons 2025 project.
- www.blionline.org Management by Sticky Notes Collaborative Results Made Easy #MBSN Tom Hood, CPA, CITP, CGMA CEO Maryland Association of CPAs Business Learning Institute
- Tom Hood, CPA, CITP, CGMA! Tom Hood, CPA, CITP, CGMA CEO MACPA www.macpa.org and Business Learning Institute (BLI) www.blionline.org! http://www.linkedin.com/in/tomhood/! If there is a conversation about the future of the profession, you're bound to hear Hood's name mentioned as one of the people leading the way. Accounting Today Magazine! Named the Second Most Influential in Accounting by Accounting Today Magazine 2013 Linked-In Top 150 Influencer Top 25 Influencers in Learning & HR by HR Examiner Top 25 Thought Leaders in Public Accounting by CPA Practice Adviser Working on Learning Management with AICPA/ CPA2Biz, Cloud Curriculum, Performance Management !
- http://macpa.cnf.io! ! Respond to a Poll! Ask a Question! Select the session: Interchange #MBSN
- Download todays slides at www.SlideShare.net/thoodcpa
- What do you notice?
- The Problem 70%
- The solution? Management by Sticky Notes #MBSN
- What not to do https://www.youtube.com/watch? feature=player_detailpage&v=cy9B7a8poF4
- In order to buy-in, people have to weigh-in. - Pat Lencioni
- Interchange an act or instance of interchanging; reciprocal exchange
- Exchanging what?
- None of us us as smart as all of us. -Dr. Ken Blanchard
- CEOs have a new strategy in the unending war for talent. They are crea9ng more open and collabora9ve cultures encouraging employees to connect, learn from each other and thrive in a world of rapid change. Collabora9on is the number-one trait CEOs are seeking in their employees. IBM Global CEO Study 2012
- The collaboration curve is replacing the experience curve The organizations that will become the household names of this century will be renowned for sustained, large-scale, efficient innovation. The key to that capability is neither company loyalty nor free- agent autonomy but, rather, a strong collaborative community. HBR, July-August 2011
- Why? We are moving from organizations well managed to networks well led. - Jim Collins
- If you can run the company a bit more collaboratively, you get a better result, because you have more bandwidth and checking and balancing going on. Larry Google Page
- In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed Charles Darwin
- Its Ofcial 2014 is The Year of the Sticky! #MBSN #YearoftheSticky
- What is MBSN? Management by Sticky Notes
- MBSN Principles Wisdom of the crowd Participation and engagement Ideas are portable (sticky notes) Making your thinking visible to others Buy-in from co-creation
- How have we used it?
- CPA Horizons 2025
- www.blionline.org Listen, Listen, Listen Participation, Participation, Participation Only one idea per stickie note Write big and neat with markers Ideal group size 6 8 people Pods of 30 40 people Process IndividualThinking and Writing (3 5 minutes) Small Group discussion and consensus (write top 3-5 best ideas on stickies per table) Big Group Synthesis and Agreement Facilitation Wikipedia - is any activity that makes tasks for others easy
- www.blionline.org Participation rule Be absent or present but not both! Share the air with each other Give the ideas time to live (they are fragile) Link and build Ground rules for consensus building Love it Like it Live with it (must have this or keep discussing or move on) Facilitation
- What about your introverts?
- What about these guys? Colleagues Against Virtually Everything!
- What we believe Finding your competitive edge turning the ywheel It is hard to plan for the long term future when you dont know what is going to happen five minutes from now. Today, a competitive edge is thin and temporary; the edge quickly becomes the margin. The ability to define the edge, and the ultimate competitive advantage, is found in the smarts, heart and ingenuity of your people - that's your powerhouse. Tap that, train it, focus it and mobilize it; now you've engaged your network and inspired a sustainable shift.
- www.blionline.org Listen, Listen, Listen Participation, Participation, Participation Setup exercise instructions Ground rules for consensus building Love it Like it Live with it (must have this or keep discussing or move on) #MBSN - Management by Sticky Notes Only one idea per stickie note IndividualThinking and Writing (3 5 minutes) Small Group discussion and consensus (write top 3-5 best ideas on stickies per table) Big Group Synthesis and Agreement
- The Process General Session MBSN What are the Top Five Issues/Trends and the Time to Address is Now 5 mins to think and write 20 mins to discuss and create top 5 5 minutes to create the top 5 stickies Consolidate the rounds four corners 15 minutes Each corner consolidates from their groups of tables and clusters the like issues into Top Five ideas Report out from each corner - 15 minutes Move to Breakouts
- Breakouts Strategy Cafes Ideas for Action How can we add / create value from these top trends/issues? Create a poster of the Top Five from General Session Show of hands for which topic to work on Round 1at tables = 20 mins 5 mins to think individually 15 mins to discuss and create top 5 Report Out Progressive Post = 20 mins Call tables by number up to put top 5 stickies and cluster as they go (think buffet line at wedding) Dot Vote nal group of stickies in room and recap (10 minutes)
View more >